M8 Tracker

had a PE tracker for a number of months before finding an m8 on the used market. sold the PE tracker right after i found the m8.

the tracker was fun and I enjoyed using it. i got frustrated with the jog wheel quirks on my unit and ended up only using the arrow keys (funny enough, more like the m8). i found the limited FX lanes and ultra basic synths to be lame and primarily used it to trigger one shot samples. also got tired of endlessly gainstaging to avoid clicks and crackles. i enjoyed the tunes i made on it, but it felt kinda pointless to be using it when most of the features i originally found interesting were served lukewarm.

the m8 kicks ass all around and i am never missing anything while using it. maaaybe sometimes i wish i had the smallest external midi controller but now that im experimenting with using the S1 for that i cant think of anything else

4 Likes

or

ffmpeg

The obvious part is polyphony. There is the chord engine, that I canā€™t remember the name of, and then there are obvious work arounds where you simply clone the sound and use on different tracks, but thatā€™s about it for me. When I donā€™t feel like those workarounds, I plug in the Nymphes, Hydrasynth or a VST. Done.

I paid ā‚¬ 147,17 to Germany.

1 Like

Are the M8ā€™s chord functions also available for external MIDI synths? I understood that this feature is only available for the Hypersynth and that external synths can only be controlled monophonically.

I canā€™t try it myself since my M8 isnā€™t here yet and I only have access to the headless version.

yes, you can control external synths polyphonically from one track using the CHD and ADD fx

3 Likes

I spent two years in normal font and switched to big font and after a week I canā€™t go back ! Itā€™s just so much more in my vision lol :joy:

6 Likes

Actually you can make chords with macro synth wav paraphonic / and the FM engine as well as hyper synth / and you can make a 4 track chord and re render it to a sample with any m8 synth engineā€¦ā€¦ just to clarify the possibilities of chord.

3 Likes

2 Likes

IMG_0302 I always make chord after pancakes :pancakes:

Example of FM engine pulse/sine chords then I took the root notes of the chords converted in the m8 chord software or (by counting from the root notes then you count up your notes based on your chord numbers.) and took them and made my melody and bassline notes and kept goin.

17 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s exactly what I wanted to know :wink:

3 Likes

This is an interesting M8 video from Avrilcadabra showing what you can achieve by assigning settings to the touch screen

6 Likes

I was very happy when I read here that we can replace the missing volume control via the touchscreen. The missing volume control would have been very annoying for me in practice.

When I first started getting interested in the M8, I didnā€™t understand why the M8ā€™s small display was a touchscreen display. In the meantime, I realize that it is a really valuable feature.

4 Likes

No problem ! Itā€™s fairly easy to make chords in the other engines if you use your ears also use chord mate by @impbox helps a lot ! And a great hyper synth tutorial probably already posted.

https://www.impbox.net/chordmate/

3 Likes

Impboxā€™s other chord tutorial is also instructive - youā€™ll need it to use chords with the FM synth, Macrosyn, etc.

2 Likes

I donā€™t really miss much sound wise when using the m8. Though itā€™s often fun to hook stuff up to play around and sample stuff in. The main bonus from hooking up external gear is the tactile controls that are pretty limited on the m8. Keyboard, Knobs, Faders etc. I often hook up volcas, 303, MS-20, Reface CP, JD-08 (nice sounds but a pain to use). Anything portable with lots of controls is good.

Lately Iā€™ve been using M8 + Rytm and itā€™s really fun. Can use the performance pads to midi control the M8 sounds. Use the M8 sequencer to trigger the Rytmā€™s sounds. Feed the rytm audio back into m8 and mix with M8 synths. Song mode on M8 works much better for me than Elektron song mode. But unfortunately itā€™s tricky to sequence program changes due to the timing quirks on Elektron machines, so I end up just doing the sequencing all on the M8 and using the Rytm for live additions.

9 Likes

the thing about M8 is you donā€™t run into the same frustrations as other tools that may or may not let you do what you want. itā€™s kind of the opposite, when youā€™re messing with a sound or a function and you think ā€œI wonder if i can do ā€˜xā€™ with thisā€ and you go to write it out, not only does it work just like you thought, 9 times out of 10 whatever you had your cursor on before is the first command that pops up, itā€™s satisfying like tears of the kingdom satisfying. ā€œI canā€™t believe the developers thought of thisā€ type. deep logical like crazy

6 Likes

The M8 has made me bring out my MIDI Fighter Twister from the attic. Would be able to control 16 parameters on the surface, then another 16 via click + turn.

3 Likes

I paid 147.00 EUR to Malta