M8 Tracker

I’m just learning the thing ^^
I wanted to really understand how these MOD transmitter were working exactly, cause somehow my brain was wired differently.
So (LEV*LFO)+MOD1 it is?
I think there’s a tiny mistake in your formula above, or I haven’t understood.

And I must say that I really enjoy the FM engine! Thank @Ess for showing the power of this ^^

I have messed a bit with the Tables and it’s really impressive the liberty it brings, like a custom LFO from OT with destination plocks. Awesome.

You did quite some good work. I wish you the best for the year to come.

3 Likes

Ah right. My bad… assume MOD1 parameter and LFO Amount are normalized to a 0 to 1 range (that is 00 to FF is actually a percentage), then each is multiplied by the actual LEV value, added together, and clipped so that the peak is not higher then LEV….(MOD1*LEV)+(LFO1*LEV)and then clip at LEV value. If you want to have MOD1 be multiplied instead, there are two MOD slots, but requires eating another MOD… EG: MOD1 assigned to LEV and LFO, then MOD2 assigned to LEV on the second slot (below the first “1>LEV” assignment.)

3 Likes

Instead try moderating the levels on operators 1/2/3 instead of the last OP? I didn’t finish reading this thread so sorry if I’m chiming in weird but / a lot of my patches modulate the prior 3 operators I don’t know if someone can explain this in FM synth terms lol . But the 4th FM operator on the sega fm chip acted similarly we’re it affected the overall volume of my synth.

@LyingDalai just an example of a real easy modulated patch.

Yes sure, I understand what I’m doing, don’t worry: by modulating the carrier (operator D in A>B>C>D algorithm) I of course was modulating the overall volume.
This was only to illustrate a specific case and understand what was going on :slight_smile:

What I was looking for was the exact way the LFO > MOD > OP LVL were interacting
So if I rephrase it, it would be:
MOD1+LFO1≤FF ? (MOD1+LFO1)*LEV/FF : LEV

A good thing to know, thx @Trash80: I’ll know what I’m doing now ^^
Maybe a good thing to write down in the manual or somewhere in the Discord thingie.
If there’s such a place for it, that is: this Discord is like my daughter’s room, I just can’t find a thing…

2 Likes

You already know what your doing way more than me I just mess with everything until it soudns good I don’t know what carrier I’m using ! My Fm synthesis is a mystery lol

I’m going to write that down for sure ! I’ll
Figure out how to put it in the discord channel resources.

Ive sampled more stuff onto the m8 today than I have onto the DT and OT in the last year… I’m officially hooked.

Question for the hive, for gradual build ups, say I wanted to bring up the filter res or the delay slowly, Is that a job for tables or can it be done in the phrase… I remember seeing a shortcut for creating a rising set of numbers over time but I cant remember where, and as I recall that was only over 1 phrase…

1 Like

Look into the REP command to repeatedly increase/decrease the value of the last FX command (like filter cutoff). You can call it from a phrase or a table, and it should persist across phrases

EDIT: if you’re thinking of interpolation, set your FX command and your start and end values, highlight the column, and hit SHIFT + EDIT

6 Likes

Let me know if you figure it out. I never did. Lol.

1 Like

My m8 tracker comes in today and I’m going in blind. Is there a first tutorial anyone could recommend?

great. cheers @sleepside.

ive had it a week now. the discord meet-up #2 is a great starting point. a good few hours of some very clued up cats going over the basics and then getting a bit deeper. the manual is also v well written. deffo worth a read.

there are more links around 30 comments up from when i asked the same question.

4 Likes

DJF filter start from 00 and keep bringing it up / is the best most intricate way ! Same technique to get a specific filter mapped LFO in the pattern fx column.

Repeat command on djf ! ? I’ve been doing it in hard mode lmao

1 Like

Thank you, I printed out the manual when I ordered it so I’m all set there!

Edit: Got it; time to learn a new language.

5 Likes

so who’s using this or thinking about using it live? it’s inspired me to accept a gig in march. im thinking about routing M8 arrangements through the syntakt fx block and then spicing it up with syntakt beats, maybe a cheeky bit of digitone on the side… but then i’m thinking a bit of DT or OT compressor might be handy and everything gets confusing.

interested to hear how people are approaching it…

I use it live, mostly on its own, and mostly playing full songs with minimal interaction with the device. Maybe a bit of sound tweaking. I’ve found that the less live interaction I have with devices onstage, the more the audience seems to enjoy it :stuck_out_tongue: maybe it’s because when I’m free to fist pump and jump around like an idiot onstage, the audience tends to match that energy a bit more easily.

Having said that, last time I played live I had it sequencing a TB-03 and a VT4; I tweaked the TB-03 parameters live, and then played guitar and sang over a couple of other tracks. That seemed to go pretty well, although I’d love a “playlist” feature so I didn’t have to manually load the next track.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Someone has an idea of the stock/availability situation? I missed the last batch

sometime again the second half of next year I think it was