M8 Tracker

Yes, I use the envelope page or a Kill command. I think those are the best options.

1 Like

I have trouble understanding how the envelopes work on the FM SYNTH mods exactly.
I mean, I get the routing, itā€™s the precision Iā€™m lacking. So I guess Iā€™m missing somethingā€¦

Letā€™s say I have this:

On 2nd screen, even with MOD4 to 00 I can hear some modulation: I would expect to have none.
If I set MOD4 to 7F and C LEVEL to 00 instead of 90 on my screen, there is no modulation anymore: I would expect MOD4 to actually bring some level.

So the way I understand this is that initial level of the target is setting the max level of the modulation. And MOD X is setting the average amount somehow. Am I right?

Where can I get some more info on this? The manual is not that detailed I found.

Oh, and especially with FM I found I was lacking of envelopes, and I often use single-cycle LFOs as secondary envelopes on MOD 3/4.
Do you as well?

If I remember right, and my retest a second ago isnā€™t misleading:

For level and feedback:
Initial setting sets the max
MOD X set the min
Env/LFO amount overrides max, and is bounded as a percentage of the Initial setting (so FF is 100% of Initial setting)

For pitch/ratio:
Initial setting sets min (for pitch, the note value)
MOD X overrides the min (if non-zero)
Env/LFO amount sets the max

Will check later to see if I can find the meetup video explaining this.

I do use LFOs sometimes, but also remember that you can assign the same mod to multiple targets. So I could have MOD 1 assigned to both level and feedback, and put them both on whatever operators I want.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I reuse Mods, but I found that a mod without an envelope attached is pretty useless.
Maybe I could use tables as well, now that I think of it.

Another question: how do you setup a filter cutoff to follow the note?
I canā€™t find this trick again, I think Iā€™ve seen this already but Discord and long videos are hells to look for info.

Thereā€™s currently no keytracking but I think Trash80 has mentioned that it may come at some point.

1 Like

I thought I had seen some way to bind a table fx to a noteā€¦ But I might have dreamed ^^

Edit: donā€™t believe the internet

No wait I understand this now :man_facepalming:
I really donā€™t like Discord, I have trouble to read discussions, see where they start, find info. Maybe Iā€™m getting old?

1 Like

No, Discordā€™s search is notoriously mid. Itā€™s basically IRC++

2 Likes

Iā€™ll adapt I guess.
But yes, itā€™s basically some chat rooms.

1 Like

A lot of my patches have fm
mods for both ENV and LFOs

Itā€™s possible Iā€™m pretty sure / I got delay time commands on a table in a wavsynth and multiple different delay sends and feedback and times in the pattern column. I donā€™t know if this is your desired outcome or not :sweat_smile: just keep experimenting and tell M8 what to do and it will submit to your magic spells!

This is a little bit of a bummer because it limits your options a bit (although it opens up others!) but you can use the wavsynth with the WAV filter types (#06-09: WAV LP, BP, HP, BS), these do keytrack. They also still respond to modulation and table commands, although they do sound a bit different.

2 Likes

MODx is sequenceable in phrases/tables. huge for phrase variation.

including MODx that are also modulated by LFOs/envelopes (additive effect)

one important use case: MODx to pitch, for paraphonic chords (use the last algo for 4 notes)

2 Likes

Yeah MODs are great because they can have both multiple sources and multiple destinations, as well as all that sweet table control. The main bummer thing about them is thereā€™s no scaling at the destination level, so youā€™re stuck with whatever level the sources are providing all the way downstream. But thereā€™s still a lot of possibilities.

With this setup there is zero modulation if the MOD4 parameter is zero and you did not insert a ā€œFM4ā€ command effect in table/phrase. The values in Level and FB on the operator settings are treated as absolute maximum values when assigned to a mod.

You can use the LFOs as simple envelopes by setting the TRG parameter to 02 HOLD and use a Ramp dn or Exp dn for the LFO shape.

3 Likes

Hey @trash80 thanks for chiming in!
Itā€™s the action of the LFO Iā€™m having trouble with. You might have missed the LFO destination to MOD4 in above example.

I tried again with a fresh patch, this time with MOD1 affecting D as a carrier (screen I) and a LFO modulating MOD1 (screen E), and nothing going on on the table (screen T).

• With MOD1=00 + the 2nd LFO on MOD1, I observe a sound that goes from 0 to the level set on D LVL (A0 here).
  • I have no sound if there is no LFO on MOD1.

E

I

T

What I understand from what people say is that if LFO AMT is set to FF/100%, MOD1 value oscillates between the value set to MOD4 and the value set to D LVL.
But itā€™s not what I observe.
In above configuration, if I set both MOD1 and DLVL to 5F I can here the volume being modulated by the LFO.

So, please excuse the control freak :nerd_face: butā€¦ how is this all plugged exactly?

1 Like

Off the top of my headā€¦ (LEV*LFO MOD1)+MOD1 Parameter I think.

1 Like

No, or MOD1=0 would cancel any LFO modulation.
It can wait, but I believe such details would interest the M8 community :wink:

My formula is right. Mod1 in instrument screen would not stop LFO modulation, it is added to it, not multiplied.
The value is then clipped at the set amount in the op. You could have it cancel out by utilizing two mod slots.

I am not sure what youā€™re trying to accomplish specifically but I recommend checking out /Instruments/packs/trash80 DX/ presets which are transcribed from classic dx patches, or packs/tobokegao/ which include many fm synth presets. There is also the drum synth pack on the dirtywave site.

5 Likes