M8 Tracker

I just got one off Ebay. Used but only twiceā€¦great seller ratings. $650.

I would never pay over 800 which seem like the reverb sales but $100 over new and according to the seller, more or less newā€¦that was ok.

2 Likes

Quick question because I cannot seem to find this information anywhere : is there midi lfos ? When you have a midi instrument and switch to the envelope page, can you assign envelopes and lfos to ccs parameters ?

to my knowledge, no. but you could accomplish similar things with the fx columns and CC commands

1 Like

And with tables too I guess. Holly Molly with the built in midi loopback, this seems very powerful, more than the digitone if we talk about the fm synth.

feel like the m8 has helped get me to a place where my combo of gear actually helps me be productive. made most of this tune at the gym while riding the bike yesterday, then came home bounced the stems to ableton and played some synth lines with the hydrasynth and roland xp-50. iā€™m having lots of fun jamming on this set up

5 Likes

Completely M8 Tracker.

15 Likes

love this! very wavy, getting some blockhead or rjd2 feels from the visuals and tune combined. great stuff!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!
Yes I was thinking of RJD2 as well while creating it, nice to read!

Unfortunately I donā€™t know why I see ā€œpost withdrawn by the authorā€ even though I didnā€™t delete itā€¦ Weird!

yeah very weird i dont know why that happened either

Here it is again, hope itā€™ll work!

9 Likes

Iā€™m pinging the mothership ! Come pick me up !

:alien::alien::alien::vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Managed to find my old Teensy and install the headless firmware onto it ā€“ this thing is seriously well designed and great fun. Also quite nostalgic as I started out making music on FastTracker/MadTracker/Buzz and itā€™s been a while since I used a tracker UI. Definitely tempted by the hardware, it looks so cool and Iā€™m amazed what you can do with just 8 keys.

Am I right in understanding thereā€™s no way to play different notes on the hardware itself? The M8WebDisplay UI maps some keys to MIDI notes which is really useful, obviously the hardware doesnā€™t have any spare keys but I was wondering if you could use the touchscreen for note input or something.

Really excellent. Itā€™s also really sad as I canā€™t get anywhere near it on my M8 :joy: think Iā€™m in a general music funk right now so no doubt the Osmose thatā€™s due to arrive in the next day or two is in for a rough ride too

1 Like

One more general question, am I right in thinking thereā€™s no way to have ā€œautomationā€ separate from a pattern?

For example, if I want to keep a 4 bar pattern looping but open the filter over 16 bars, is the only way to do this to create 4 copies of the pattern and add the filter automation in the effects lane? Which then means if I decide I want to change the pattern, I need to edit every copy of itā€¦ I think this is just a general limitation with trackers and evolving music, though I seem to recall Buzz had some concept of separate automation.

I think you could use a table and tic parameter to make it run slow. There are some good videos on YT explaining tables.

the REP command Can add incremental modification over several bars.

I used it to make a filter sweep back and forth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! You are the second person I talk to that is getting the Osmose in two days! You are in for a ride Iā€™m sure!

1 Like

I did wonder if tables can do this but it sounded like their phase is reset at note on, so you couldnā€™t have a table doing the filter sweep while triggering new notes? I could be wrong though, Iā€™ll check out some tutorials as I donā€™t really grasp tables fully yet

Iā€™ll take a look, thanks! Can you use this independently of the note pattern length? Eg note pattern is 16 rows looping but filter sweeps over 128 rows?