M:S pads not sensitive enough

Here are some important detail infos for the Elektron Model:Samples sensitivity fix as it was posted by mpluis (Elektron Model:Samples sensitivity fix - YouTube):

• first, yes you will still need the transparent strip (in the video it’s not clear if it shall be left out, but yes, it has to go back in)
  • second and most importantly, it’s NOT sufficient to use just “ANY” tape: you need a certain THICKNESS to make it work perfectly, in my case it was somewhere between 0,4-0,5mm, i.e. a rather heavy duct tape. I used grey T-REX duct tape for my “stickers” which is 0,43mm thick (please measure with digital callipers). If you use too thin tape, the sensitivity still won’t be as good. If you use too thick tape, the pads don’t work at all anymore, so you can try different ones until you found the best tape. I applied the tape, then only fixed 7 or 8 of the screws (around the first pad and near power/audio plugs) and so I could test it before fixing all 9000 screws.
  • third: cut your “stickers” beforehand, not on the machine. they need to be square 15x15mm with a ~5mm hole in the middle, that’s all. Can be done by a kindergarden child. But be careful to leave no burrs on the edges. It’s almost satirical that Elektron already delivers a sheet of nice graphic stickers with this machine, they could’ve simply included those six pad “stickers” as well :wink:
  • forth: as said before, do not overtighten. Use just a T10 torx bit and a bit holder (from your drill), not a real screwdriver-bitholder, so your hand torque can’t go too high, then gently find the thread start (reverse screw until it drops down a bit), then screw down until it bottoms out, then stop applying torque.

My M:S pad sensitivity is really nice now, a gentle tap with a finger is sufficient to trigger the pads, and I can even do drum rolls etc. with two fingers, which would’ve been impossible before.

4 Likes

So ridiculous we have to re-engineer things with bits of tape!
Wonder if those stick-on rings for reinforcing notebook paper holes would work. Of course paper would wear out over time.
Somebody should sell a kit.