M:C obsolete now there's ST?

I no longer have mine, but no way redundant. It may be all digital, and have 1/6th the machines but costs 1/3 of the ST price tag… and still bangs hard.

2 Likes

The knob per function on the M:C is not to sneeze at

16 Likes

Also, if Elektron ever gave the Models assignable MIDI tracks the way the Syntakt has them. Let people assign ccs to all those the knobs. They’d sell a lot of them just for that.

9 Likes

Is cheap beer made obsolete by some $24/bottle saison? No. Some people will never be able to fit $1k into their budget for a drum machine.

22 Likes

What I read, the Syntakt cannot p-lock machines which th M:C. So having a different machine on each trig is only possible on M:C not on Syntakt, as far as I understood the syntakt manual.

Adam Jay thinks otherwise.

4 Likes

M:C is a beast

I have programmed Autechre beats, drones and electro detroit stuff

You can p-lock machines, the retrig on the pad is very cool and with Ctrl-All you can create several patterns all different in very short time

Kick and Tone sounds great

12 Likes

Thx for the link, havn’t seen that. I just remembered that someone wrote somewhere in the 4000+ post thread, that you can only have one machine type once at the same time.

So like having the same snare machine on all 3 analog tracks isn’t possible. But I may have missunderstood that post or it was wrong.

Anyway, if the machines are as flexible to p-lock as on the M:C that would be great and makes the syntakt a lot more consistent to the other models.

I honestly think the AR is the bigger loser. Who’d spend 1700 on that when the digitakt is a superior sampler and the syntakt has all the best parts but with added features.

It’s not like you buy it for its tom engines or drum pads :laughing:

6 Likes

Well, that’s true

Wouldn’t say obsolete as it costs only a third of the ST. Having an M:C I am thinking about selling it for an ST or maybe even a secondhand DT as I don’t use the velocity sensitive pads and miss something in the tonal area. (Also I hate the metal engine in MC but don’t tell anyone), but the price is steep. If this was priced similar to a new DT I’d have bought it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. If it was around 700-760 euros, I would pull the trig instantly. But in my country, it’s 1000 euros. Kind of a lot…

However, I feel inspired by Syntakt. I booted up my M:C yesterday.

3 Likes

Linking M:C and ST up would give 16 digital tracks and 4 analog, it might not be so crazy to link them up. Have M:C audio run through the ST’s AFX bus and save a whole bunch of tracks for multiple melodic lines, you could maybe even approach full song within a single pattern with a bit of careful planning

2 Likes

Nah, the price difference alone keeps it alive… I’m actually hoping to jump on a good second hand deal for one now the syntakt is out!!

1 Like

Not in the same price range at all, there is room for both in the market.

1 Like

I imagine that’s a reference to soundpool locking …

2 Likes

That was probably worded un-clearly or was misunderstood, there’s no problems having identical track machines across 9-11

2 Likes

MC is not obsolete: You can even buy 4 MC’s for the price of one ST!

6 Likes

I guess some might get the ST and decide that soundwise there is too much overlap with MC, but they are pretty different to use, one easy one is the MC has dedicated track buttons/pads where the ST uses trig keys for pads/mutes/trigs.

Can you p-lock the machines too?