M:C obsolete now there's ST?

Linking M:C and ST up would give 16 digital tracks and 4 analog, it might not be so crazy to link them up. Have M:C audio run through the ST’s AFX bus and save a whole bunch of tracks for multiple melodic lines, you could maybe even approach full song within a single pattern with a bit of careful planning

2 Likes

Nah, the price difference alone keeps it alive… I’m actually hoping to jump on a good second hand deal for one now the syntakt is out!!

1 Like

Not in the same price range at all, there is room for both in the market.

1 Like

I imagine that’s a reference to soundpool locking …

2 Likes

That was probably worded un-clearly or was misunderstood, there’s no problems having identical track machines across 9-11

2 Likes

MC is not obsolete: You can even buy 4 MC’s for the price of one ST!

6 Likes

I guess some might get the ST and decide that soundwise there is too much overlap with MC, but they are pretty different to use, one easy one is the MC has dedicated track buttons/pads where the ST uses trig keys for pads/mutes/trigs.

Can you p-lock the machines too?

Not on ST, except via soundpool sound-locks

2 Likes

There’s no functional difference between Sound Locks and “p-locking the machines”.

1 Like

P-locking machines is definitely easier and more fun than messing around with the soundpool. Elektron never made it easy to take sounds into and out of the soundpool.

6 Likes

Well the parameters of a track sound are (re)set for a sound lock whereas a machine swap inherits

3 Likes

Well on the rytm you can sound lock but not p-lock the different analog machines on the same track

On the MC i can sound lock existing preset but also p-lock individual machines on the same track and together with ctrl all if you can do every in real time recording you get amazing results

I think it could be interesting to use Syntakt with a M:C

1 Like

But different Machines have different parameters, so many of them couldn’t inherti. Sure, that could sound brilliant and would be a fun side-effect, but it’s pretty easy to see why they didn’t design it that way (IMO).

3 Likes

I have an M:C but hadn’t discovered this feature yet (I generally only use it on a battery, as a fidget toy on train journeys). I’ve used sounds locks, but didn’t know you could p-lock the Machines.

Noted. Thanks for the lesson.

3 Likes

I mean the values, rather than parameters.

It’s subtly different imho as a soundlock comes with values loaded whereas a machine swap won’t change the existing values (aot related parameter)

4 Likes

I guess I need to go back to M:C school.

1 Like

nah, the affordability and the immediacy of model:cycles will keep it away from becoming obsolete

2 Likes

Plus, and I can’t stress this enough, the Model:Cycles has a different sonic character due to the low headroom. You can get these wicked distorted lofi FM sounds out of it. Thats missing on the Syntakt.

It’s the special sauce that makes the M:C what it is.

10 Likes

100% agree