M:C obsolete now there's ST?

So, yeah ST happened. What do you think happen to M:C? Will it be left to become obsolete? Or will it receive some kind of update?

I don’t think so. just look at the price difference.
sometimes people don’t mind taking the affordable route with less features.

18 Likes

I think its low price already kind of keeps it from being obsolete… I suppose if you have a ST you might not really need a M:C. I don’t think the models line is really up for any major updates though if that is what you’re thinking.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if the Cycles didn’t get some of the new machines in the Syntakt. At least the clap

13 Likes

… and SY TOY

6 Likes

IMO, the difference is much more clear between Digitakt and Model:Cycles. But in this case, it’s exactly the same thing (let’s be honest, most sounds sound the same) but more substantial.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud. Maybe I am wrong…

Nah it still has that low head room, which gives it that beautiful distorted sounds when the track volume is pushed. Honestly sounds way better than the Syntakt thanks to it.

5 Likes

it’s definitely a weird in-between, but a really clear upgrade from the M:C. But still I love my pads on the MC. And yeah really hoping some of the Syntakt feature ends up on the MC

1 Like

I no longer have mine, but no way redundant. It may be all digital, and have 1/6th the machines but costs 1/3 of the ST price tag… and still bangs hard.

2 Likes

The knob per function on the M:C is not to sneeze at

15 Likes

Also, if Elektron ever gave the Models assignable MIDI tracks the way the Syntakt has them. Let people assign ccs to all those the knobs. They’d sell a lot of them just for that.

9 Likes

Is cheap beer made obsolete by some $24/bottle saison? No. Some people will never be able to fit $1k into their budget for a drum machine.

21 Likes

What I read, the Syntakt cannot p-lock machines which th M:C. So having a different machine on each trig is only possible on M:C not on Syntakt, as far as I understood the syntakt manual.

Adam Jay thinks otherwise.

4 Likes

M:C is a beast

I have programmed Autechre beats, drones and electro detroit stuff

You can p-lock machines, the retrig on the pad is very cool and with Ctrl-All you can create several patterns all different in very short time

Kick and Tone sounds great

11 Likes

Thx for the link, havn’t seen that. I just remembered that someone wrote somewhere in the 4000+ post thread, that you can only have one machine type once at the same time.

So like having the same snare machine on all 3 analog tracks isn’t possible. But I may have missunderstood that post or it was wrong.

Anyway, if the machines are as flexible to p-lock as on the M:C that would be great and makes the syntakt a lot more consistent to the other models.

I honestly think the AR is the bigger loser. Who’d spend 1700 on that when the digitakt is a superior sampler and the syntakt has all the best parts but with added features.

It’s not like you buy it for its tom engines or drum pads :laughing:

6 Likes

Well, that’s true

Wouldn’t say obsolete as it costs only a third of the ST. Having an M:C I am thinking about selling it for an ST or maybe even a secondhand DT as I don’t use the velocity sensitive pads and miss something in the tonal area. (Also I hate the metal engine in MC but don’t tell anyone), but the price is steep. If this was priced similar to a new DT I’d have bought it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. If it was around 700-760 euros, I would pull the trig instantly. But in my country, it’s 1000 euros. Kind of a lot…

However, I feel inspired by Syntakt. I booted up my M:C yesterday.

3 Likes