Love to the thin, compact & small desktop units <3

Hi all,

Lately I’m really into portability and small foot prints when it comes to making music, it’s such a luxury not to carry those 2-4kg devices on and from your desk all the time.

I thought it would be a cool idea to spread some love for these compact companions and open a thread to list a few devies that are mostly under 3-4cm thickness.

The ones I’m using:

• Make Noise 0coast
  • Torso T1
  • Nord Drum 2

In the future, bluebox and M:S might join the compact crew;)

15 Likes

Micromonsta 2 deserves to be here.

14 Likes

obviously:

• 1010 music Blackbox
  • 1010 music Bluebox
  • Audiothingies Micromonsta 2

A bit thick but still compact:

• Empress Zoia
6 Likes

Minimalism doorbell with single two tone sound.

16 Likes

One that’s on my wishlist: PreenFM 2

4 Likes

i’m obsessed with machines of this kind

12 Likes

Clavia Micro Modular, cyberpunk unit…

Long wanted to take one, knowing the normal Nord Modular, never dared, a little afraid of the lack of controls and the hypothetical hold over time of the editing software.

18 Likes

i wanted one for a while, but was told that actual processing power is comparable to Axoloti, so i bought another Axoloti :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Yeah, both that and the original Nord Modular (Rack preferably) are so fucking awesome in concept, but the reality of it in the year 2021 seems so lame that I haven’t got one either. If only you could use it with a tablet…

Then again miRack does pretty much the same thing & I can’t stand using the touch screen with it, hah.

1 Like

doh… didn’t know there was a small laucnhcontrol.

I have an Axoliti and a Norns Shield, both of which I don’t have time to explore until mid August (after my MRes hand-in) but I’m looking forward to them a lot

1 Like

I listed mine on here because I have the LCXL but I’m tempted to keep it. It’s a handy little device

I have the XL as well but this small version would be excellent on the go… no more sold alas.

Arturia Beatstep (regular one, not Pro) is a nice replacement for LaunchControl.
not much bigger, and has endless encoders & MIDI Out.

Axoloti is absolutely critical component of all my setups.
i barely ever tried to use it for sound generation – but heavily employ it for all kind of MIDI processing jobs, including very sophisticated arpeggiator.

4 Likes

I think you can use it with surface tablet

1 Like

That doesn’t really help one bit, hah!

I’ve seen a few things people have done but really am pretty clueless as to what their full potential is. It’s exciting stuff!

what’s most exciting about Axoloti is that i managed to design a dozen of custom objects without proper C knowledge :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
i don’t know any other platform that would allow me that

1 Like

Ha! I’m very much into this idea! I like the concept of creating my own devices but have absolutely no knowledge of coding beyond HTML, CSS and a (very) little Perl

Even with the jog wheel, the Polyend Tracker is about 3.3 cm in height and weighs only 1.2 kg:

12 Likes