Love to the thin, compact & small desktop units <3

It there a way to easily power these bad boys with one psu, something like a strymon zuma?

I have no idea tbh

???

Twisted Electrons Acid8 MKII.
Fred’s Lab Töörö.

Small, slim and awesome.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, all my 2nd gen Twisted Electrons devices (MegaFM, TherapSID, Crazy8, Crazy8 Beats) fit the slim criteria.

Also, on the sequencer side, the Korg SQ-64.

1 Like

Mopho (desktop) should be here I guess. It’s borderline on height criteria, but the Tetra is already here so :man_shrugging:.

Has to be said, the UI is really unfriendly by comparison to almost anything else … the micromonsta 2 approach to do-everything-with-4-encoders works much better for instance. To do from-scratch sound design on a Mopho it really needs to be connected to a computer, doing it standalone is possible but a pain. Another reason to consider it borderline.

2 Likes

Not easy to get right now, but the Micromosta 2 is amazing. Blackbox if you need a sampler. Typon and Minitaur are a little chunkier but you get a lot for the size. Ploytech PL2 or Flash Pi are tiny, even if you add in something like a Faderfox EC4 for control, and great for adding an oscillator to e.g. the Typhon. Poly Beebo can be used as a virtual modular environment plus an effects processor, if you want to. Oxi One will be another sequencer option soon.

4 Likes

How could I have forgotten it?
A gift from a friend, I have to clean it because it makes noise.
Midiman offered such a small 10 channel mixer !
It would have been better only with jack inputs, other than that, great.

10 Likes

Hehe, I have all three of these :slight_smile: definitely something I value.

The Deluge is surprisingly thin! Not the most compact, but considering it’s functionality it’s pretty great.

2 Likes

Looks like Shruthi didn’t get a mention yet. Confess to not knowing a lot about it, but the form factor means I’m interested.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mutable-instruments-shruthi-1

1 Like

Shruthi is cool, but Ambika has even better size-to-features ratio, because it’s only twice bigger, but features 6 voices.

4 Likes

Can you tell me more about Pisound? I have a pi3 I’d love to turn into a synth.

Um, I don’t know if my OT alone fits in that, however it’s a small enough foot print, I’d think ? Been pretty much just toting it around and even powering it via my car cig/power plug with some headphones.

1 Like

prolly not

1 Like

It’s my guess that that is exactly the kind of thing the OP was trying to draw a contrast with. By his criteria of height and weight, it’s excluded.

In fact many devices listed here already push the limits on height grounds at least (including the Mopho which I noted was borderline when adding it)

Great that the OT works for you that way though.

1 Like

Haha yeahhh, idk I wouldn’t consider my MD to be part of this group too tbh.

However the height thing is just a personal preference, I love how some devices are so sleek and elegant. Devices like the shruthi are a bit thicker ofcourse but still very small!

1 Like

I love my Moog Voyager and it fits in just one flight case — quite a compact package for the huge sound…

Just built an OMX-27 keyboard/sequencer, which is impressively compact:

19 Likes

For the uninitiated it is possible to do? Do you need a lot of material?
He is from hell !!! (Edit: it’s expensive in kit!)

Here’s a series of build videos. I would not attempt it with no soldering experience, but if you’ve ever soldered surface-mount parts before you should be fine.

2 Likes

9 Likes

That is beautiful.