Loop PIPO... Anyone cracked it?

5 second warbly BOCS kind of drone synth sample. Static slot. Trimmed in editor to zero-crossings. No effects/filters/scenes etc. I just switched on the PIPO option in Loop settings on Playback settings page 2 so I could turn it in to a long drone. Huge pops at each end of the sample… Wtf? Any ideas/advice. This stuff is meant to be straight forward :frowning: An hour wasted fiddling round try to fix it…

1 Like

I think it was fixed in OS 1.25C, or close to that. Look at the release notes to confirm.

to see if it’s entirely OT related - stick the sample back to back in an editor/daw thusly
fwd/bwd/fwd/bwd
see if it is still clicky at the transition - some content will not take too kindly to that
the best way to do it (pipo) with a sin wave is to do it at 90deg phase (i.e. cosine) - not at zero crossover !! - but that will have odd transients on the first playthrough
don’t overlook the attack envelope tweaks in there
anyway - it’s easy to beat up on the OT, we all do it, but check the material in other s/w

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I’ll try to get some time to check it in a daw tomoro. I’m on 1.25e. It’s a new project where I’m just getting some sounds together in different banks/parts to jam with friends. Basically a fresh slate so far re settings etc so I’m just confused why it’s happening when I set PIPO on as the loop is trimmed to zero crossings in the editor. I can’t check right now but wondering if maybe it’s a stereo sample and OT can’t find a place with zero crossings on both channels? I’ll check it out again tomoro…

as i said - it is strongly material dependent
here’s what i said pictorially

if you take any loop (simple sin firstly) and trim at zero crossings
irrespective if you select N waves or N+1/2 waves you WILL get really obvious clicks in either normal or pipo (or both)
only a cosine (N+1/2) will loop seamlessly in normal AND pipo
i’m just trying to say look at the material - especially low freq content
tuning well for normal looping does not guarantee good pipo playback !!
don’t ‘wtf’ the OT until you test it in the DAW
if you trimmed white noise it would not matter, some material will play nicely both ways, some not

2 Likes

Stereo files are definitely a culprit - I don’t use stereo for anything I want to heavily tweak / bend / scramble.

1 Like

as i said - it is strongly material dependent
here’s what i said pictorially

if you take any loop (simple sin firstly) and trim at zero crossings
irrespective if you select N waves or N+1/2 waves you WILL get really obvious clicks in either normal or pipo (or both)
only a cosine (N+1/2) will loop seamlessly in normal AND pipo
i’m just trying to say look at the material - especially low freq content
tuning well for normal looping does not guarantee good pipo playback !!
don’t ‘wtf’ the OT until you test it in the DAW
if you trimmed white noise it would not matter, some material will play nicely both ways, some not[/quote]
Thanks for the insights. Makes sense. I was quick to WTF the OT as in the past I’ve had the same problems as everyone else with clicks and pops in chromatic mode so I guessed it was just more of the same, but I’ll def check it in a daw and see if it’s sample specific. Cheers

1 Like

Starting to wonder if maybe my OT is faulty. Haven’t gotten round to testing the previous sample issue in a daw yet. But now I’m just trying to loop a short arpeggio sample and play it chromatically and sometimes it clicks at start/end loop point, sometimes it doesn’t. No other effects on etc. Thought maybe it is a mem card thing as the loop is a portion of a longer sample, so I thought maybe it was struggling to have that long (only like 5 seconds though…) a sample stream from card in static. So I also tried in flex. Same thing. This seems to happen on a bunch of things and be kind of random…im confused and kinda tired of trying to make stuff not click/pop… Why would it click/pop sometimes but not others?? Doesn’t really make any sense to me. Any ideas? Thanks…

If you have time stretch on it could just be the result of rounding errors

1 Like

Yeah timestrech was on. So OT can’t loop with timestrech without clicks/pops? Ugh…
Ill try it with timestretch off tomorow and see if it’s still happening. Feels pretty unacceptable either way though if it’s ‘rounding errors’ like you say. I’m not sure what that actually means, but if a sample is in ram and a flex machine I’d assume this kind of stuff was bread and butter… :frowning:

Does everyone get these ‘rounding errors’ when looping a section of a sample with timestrech on and playing in chromatic mode? Or is there a way round it? Thanks

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Please chill out, @Ocobus my dear.
Yet you’ve made your point.

Yeah timestrech was on. So OT can’t loop with timestrech without clicks/pops? Ugh…
Ill try it with timestretch off tomorow and see if it’s still happening. Feels pretty unacceptable either way though if it’s ‘rounding errors’ like you say. I’m not sure what that actually means, but if a sample is in ram and a flex machine I’d assume this kind of stuff was bread and butter… :([/quote]
Unacceptable?
A piece of audio, timestreched, and then you want to ping pong it without resampling the timestreched audio first?
You’re new to hardware samplers aren’t you? Limited DSP is part of where the magic is. If you want to stack DSP heavy processes without rendering the audio and freeing up that DSP you’ll get more miles out of a computer, although that’ll fall on its ass sooner or later anyway though.
Resample, resample, resample![/quote]
I’m not new to samplers. Just new to paying nearly a grand for for a unit that makes half the functions super tedious due to necessity for resampling and other workarounds. BTW if you’d read through your see I wasn’t talking about ping pong when I said it didn’t seem acceptable. I was referring to just setting loop points then playing that loop chromatically. If that’s some futuristic function for you then have fun resampling in to eternity… Pretty sure even my microsampler will let me do this without clicks pops… Ugh. OT keeps testing my resolve with this kind of stuff but it’s such a fun box when things are going well that I still can’t see myself getting rid of it any time soon… Don’t think I’ve ever owned something I loved/hated so simultaneously…

1 Like

So I had a play with this and discovered something interesting which Avantronica refers to with the illustrations. Instead of snapping to the zero-crossing, move your start & end to the top (or bottom) of the wave. Zoom very close to get it as centred as possible.

I did this on a Bass tone and it’s looping seamlessly with PIPO - the only issue is a click on trigger (as the start isn’t at zero - but this is fixed by setting attack to 1.

And this makes sense, if you snap to zero and Ping Pong the waveform won’t be a smooth wave and instead will have a ‘M’ shape like in Avantronica’s illustration.

Turning on timestretch doesn’t help though - you will hear muddled artifacts because of timestretching… but you won’t hear clicks.

Note - I’m using a mono sample as stereo has 2 waveforms, one of which will likely not match the other and so is impossible to loop seamlessly.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Do you mean start and end of the wave?

Re: stereo v mono, I’m finding this is likely (probably) often my problem as well, do you process (in DAW or whatever) then without stereo FX? Or just mono FX? Are all your stems then in mono with send FX? Any insight from you (or anyone) in working with stems in mon/ stereo and the OT would be most helpful…

I mean move your start and end point to the top of the waveform (like in @avantronica’s illustration).

Re: mono vs. stereo - I always use mono samples in the OT this is the best way to avoid clicks. I do process them through stereo effects though and record into my DAW. You could pre-make stereo stems, just make sure they fade to zero on start and end before importing into the OT.

OH/

Ok. This might require L and R at two different lengths…but I guess no biggie.

And do the samples include things - synths, samples, etc - youve recorded into your DAW? Just left it mono? Or did you sum (?) L n R into mono?