Clickup Machines

Thanks for the kind comment, avantronica!

1 Like

i meant it too, it’s impossible to skip through stuff like that, it was arresting in the way that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcE4_7-X78 stuff is, made me feel a bit like this does although the mood of your piece was lighter (the cello is a bit buried in that track of theirs) - i’d do loops with guitar in that melancholic style but you don’t get the richness of timbre or expressivity that you do from a cello, keep at it !

1 Like

I hadn’t had too many issues with pick up clicks until the last couple days when I now can’t seem to record a single loop without an awful pop-- this, even when no sound is being played. Anyone had any luck with getting these working smoothly? I’m working mostly in layering ambient pads and textures so i know the territory is ripe for clicks but my tried approach of bringing sounds in slowly from silence is moot when even silence causes the problem :head_bandage:

what source do you record from?
I had this trouble of clicking even with 0.63 in and out when I tried to record from ableton.
I never got it to be in sync, too much latency…
No proper loops…
I ended up kicking ableton and to keep the OT and other hardware…
Since then I do get audio just the way I want it…
And yes, I tried latency compensation… a lot…

For synth pad loops type you need to apply a kind of crossfade with fade in and fade out, in Overdub mode. Doesn’t work with Ot in slave.
I could layer without clics several loops.
You can try to increase fades, but they are exponential, not very smooth. You have to be careful with the level differences between the beginning and the end of the loop. You can start to play in the middle of a loop if you start from silence.

I’m pretty sure there’s no cross fading or ‘kind of’ cross fading :wink: … just fading

there are some thoughts in this thread which may help with the underlying reasons for the clicking

I’m pretty sure that if you overlap a fade in with a fade out you have a kind of crossfade. :wink:

I’m extremely sure you won’t be able to demonstrate that the :elot: does crossfades on its captured loops in connection with Fin Fout

Here’s a screen grab from an edit of a captured loop with a pre-existing Fin & Fout - it is re-sampled in the OctaTrack and gets a new Fout of the same value (file start is not shown here) - you can see that the looped file is not applying crossfades - as Fin and Fout of a captured loop don’t overlap

I had the same issue when using the pick up machines. I always used a boss DD-7 for drones and sometimes encountered subtle clicks, but for the most part it was easy to mask. But on the OT no matter how many times I tried I’d get the clicking and it sticks out. Reading thru the thread it doesn’t look like this has been fixed, but a crossfade would have been huge.

We are talking about Pickup Machines, and I mentioned in Overdub Mode. Maybe I’m wrong, but I could layer a few pad loops without clicks, so if there is no overlap, I would like to know how it works…

oops - I should’ve known that, on my own thread, I’ll have to rethink, but I recall there being a discussion about this a long time ago … the OT isn’t working in a conventional manner iirc

1 Like

I’m looping an a4 into ab with .63 on both sides. It’s a mystery because, like sezare mentioned, starting in the middle of the loop from silence was a way to fairly reliably avoid clicks but now the clicks are coming from silence. The a4 has quiet outs but maybe I need to try turning its master volume all the way down.

I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but the clicking goes away for a loop or 2 when I flip the OT on and off :thinking:

This is what happens to the file on the right if allowed to overdub by PUM capture … i don’t think there is scope or evidence for crossfading … i do recall discussing this before, can’t find it though

i’d love for this evaluation to be wrong, but i don’t see it crossfading, we need a comment from an insider

This has been around for years now, should really be addressed officially

Some more forum discussion:

And this post @avantronica made in 2014:

"It’s a compelling demonstration, but I wonder If you may have assumed what I think I did, namely that the fade in/out is akin to that in an audio editor domain
ie
|/~|
if you get my point
but the fade out is happening at the beginning i believe
|/
IN
|~
~~~ OUT

So i think depending on the material and how well it is handled internally it may be an unfortunate bi-product of the loop point scheme they’ve adopted

i started a similar thread which didn’t really take off nor resolve my issues with this

i stand by my comment that with years of looping i’ve never found a device be so unusable in this respect - it gives me hope it can be addressed, but it’d take an effort on the users part to demonstrate explain clearly what is wrong - PU machines seem to be of the least used, so there isn’t a good community impetus

hopefully we can keep this or that thread going 'til we get some official insights"

1 Like

As a sampler I really love the OT, as a looper it is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. They should have called the PU machines FU machines - Fudging Useless. The hours wasted trying to use them…

1 Like

Ot can be a very original looper, with defaults.
Problems with fades, problems with overdub…
I sold my Rc 505 though. Maybe I’ll buy another one or equivalent looper later.
With Ot your records can be automatically mangled if you use Flex Recordings. You can even overdub with it, but with clics problems.

2 Likes

I’m pretty green at the OT and haven’t come in contact with this issue yet. I too hope to use it for ambient layers/drones. I’ll be sad if I come across it.

I just wanted to add that turning the the B pot clockwise to get the fade out has even now - 5 months in - not yet set in as routine. I still find myself turning it counterclocwise to no avail…because, as it’s a fade out, that’s how I imagine it on the wave.

1 Like

i must re-read what I wrote there to see what I meant - I have not given up hope on PUMs, but they do suffer from this reputation of being unforgiving to unwary newcomers - the last thing you need from what should be a simple looping pleasure - I like to think there’s a bit of room for finesse left, but probably most of the complaints come down to unavoidable consequences of the machine’s architecture

“i must re-read what I wrote there to see what I meant”. It happens to me, sometimes it’s hard to understand yourself. :slight_smile:

I can’t stand clics, I didn’t like PUMs but it worked for me for layering synths without clics, overdub mode, Ot as master. After I save the recording to play it in a Flex.

Fades are weird because it looks like the exponential curve is allways the same, just delayed by the FIn or FOut value.

I succeeded to overdub with Flex (even in slave) but with clics. I tried to emulate fades with 2 overlapping Flex Recordings with slide plocks on Vol. Unsuccessfully though, still clics…

1 Like

F%#k Up machine. That was pretty funny.
I hope this gets cleared up too. There are some great utube demos showing the pick ups with no hick ups or clicks. I have only tried them once but I will try again.