Seamless Live Looping - Ambient

Hi everyone,

I’m fairly new to the Octatrack so apologies if this seems obvious.

I’m working on a live set with my Flutes, vocals, pedals and Octatrack. I’m trying to do everything live via looping and not use pre recorded samples.I want to create drones with my flute and Big Sky etc, loop them into the Octatrack and mangle from there. The thing is I cannot loop a drone seamlessly, there is always a click at the beginning/end of the sample. I’ve tried via Pickup machines and flex but no joy. I know about fin in and out and amp settings. My dream is to make a drone, record into Octa and have a seamless loop ready for pitch changes etc. Is this simply not possible?

I would so appreciate any advice you have!

Shona

1 Like

Hi welcome to the forum

There are a number of threads discussing such things, it might be worth browsing a few to set your expectation about how Fin and Fout work - it’s not crossfading in the way you may want

Plus, the more sin like a sound, and the fewer harmonics to cloud its changes at a loop point , the worse it will be, especially for low frequency content where sudden reversal of phase will introduce higher pitched clicking more evidently

as for solutions, well a bit of experimentation and working around what you find - but read some of the other threads on clicking for other insights and workarounds

e.g. see this post/thread

3 Likes

With pickup machines it helps to record a silent loop first and then start playing in overdub

4 Likes

yep - a silent with the gain setting all the way down. then, after passing the loop point, turn the gain back to your desired point and begin looping

2 Likes