Logue CL-1 (Midicontroller with displays under knobs and fast mapping)

https://logue.audio/

3 Likes

Ah wow, I’ve wanted a midi controller with displays under each knob forever! Looks awesome. Any idea on price?

Wow the mapping looks so smooth! I didn’t know a VST could work like that to interact with other plugins parameters without a wrapper, I need to learn how as I have some ideas!

Yo! Thanks for sharing our product! I’m happy to answer any questions you might have! Most information can be found on our Instagram page @we.are.logue, and our Kickstarter is launching on the 21st of March!

6 Likes

Cheers! The CL-1 will be available on Kickstarter tomorrow, for €595!

4 Likes

Thanks!

Little technical question, does the mapping of the controls happen at the VST/AU parameter level in Ableton (rather than having to set a MIDI CC for a given control)?

If so, does this mean that I need to ensure all the parameters I want to control are exposed in the “Configure” area of Ableton before I can map them, or have you found a way to work around this? It’s a complete pain how it only exposes 128 parameters and you have to manually add them all (unless you use the Options.txt hack but then it’s unwieldy for large plugins).

No you dont have to configure everything. We have build a wrapper that ensures the parameters are configured within Ableton. We know that some wrappers can be annoying but we think we have build one that is really minimal.

I like where this is going!

I assume you can go full stand-alone midi din? Lots of daw-less folks here.

2 Likes

Ah ok so all plugins need to be wrapped?

Several years ago, my friend and I wanted to build a MIDI controller just like this one. We couldn’t believe that no such thing existed in this form factor. The project never took place because, you know, life can be rude sometimes. I’m happy to see that our initial idea has been made.

2 Likes

interesting take on the electa one’s roots.

I think I might prefer this interface though. Am I correct in understanding that a knob top left switched between different mapped plugins?

What is the resolution of the knobs? Any nice MIDI hardware like this would need to have at least 10-bit (1024 values) for me to consider buying it, quite important for some parameters such as delay time in tape delay VSTs. The standard 0-127 is pretty coarse.

Questions:

Can the wood sides be removed so it can lie flat?

Also why are there 6 large knobs in odd spots?

What are the 4 white squares on the bottom row? Can there be 4 rows of 8 knobs instead?

I’m interested for Dawless, can you create custom mappings?

Many thanks for creating this controller!

Very cool product!
Yes, if manufacturer insists on shipping products with multiple knob cap sizes, user should be able to easily move knob caps to fit their preferred orientation.
BONUS: choose your knob cap style and sizes at checkout

Yes, so with the left top (the encoder) you can easily cycle between devices. With the button next to it, you map the controller to the selected device.

1 Like

The latest prototype has regular MIDI meaning that it is 8 bit. However, we will investigate if it’s feasible to support higher res output. Unfortunately, I cannot assure you that the final product will support it.

1 Like

Yes, the wooden sides can be removed, and they can be swapped around to put the device at different angles.

The position of the knobs can be changed by the user, this is just a choice that was made for this prototype. (also answers your question @RhythmDroid)

The 4 white squares are push buttons, for boolean parameters. For this prototype they are silicon buttons, but they will be more tactile in the final product.

The CL-1 cannot be used dawless at the moment, but we do get this request a lot, so it might be something we will look into (also answers your question @mr_bernard)

5 Likes

+1 for standalone Din Midi

If this thing could do standalone, it could be the missing link for a lot of people’s hybrid setup. I already want it for DAW integration alone, but if it can run standalone, it becomes a must have. I’m officially paying attention.

5 Likes

Please do. Kind of a deal breaker for many, to be honest.

4 Likes

Shame its not class compliant.
Make it class compliant and their sales would increase massively, ios… etc