Crowdfunding — The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

I’d absolutely buy something like this… if it didn’t literally sound like farts. Cool concept though, I hope they can follow through!

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you for this, I haven’t thought about homestarrunner in years. NO LOAFING!

2 Likes

On the Telmatronics Groovetube :

I think the metrics of measure on whether to back this are different. You know right up front that it’s more research than it is development, that some of your money is creating something else in the future. Plus your tolerance for a schedule slip is much greater. There is a purity to that, sort of like on the
Profree 4 ( thread ).

A good question on the Telmatronics Groovetube would be the source of the tubes? If it’s Russia, you might want to think about it.

=-=-=-=-=-=

I keep thinking about the Osmose and how at ease we all were with the expanded schedule, and the relaxed communications.

2 Likes

Yeah I commented before I actually looked at the page - I had just listened to the demos posted here. I really appreciate how upfront they are on the Kickstarter page - they very clearly mention that this is funding the research, with the larger pledges also (hopefully) guaranteeing a finished unit, assuming things go well. It’s a really cool project and I’m excited to see how it goes in the future.

So three ( likely there are more ) interesting projects to evaluate ( links to the threads ) :

Logue CL-1

Akuto Studio AKT-01 Chord Machine

CHOMPI

Anyone have thoughts about any of these in terms of them being good crowdfunding risks. ? ( Not about whether they’re products you personally want and why, that is more for those threads. )

Another risk factor in my book, are projects that rack up enormous levels of pledges. While having more cash to get things going, it also multiplies the risk, if the cost estimates are off. Plus volume manufacturing can be a nightmare. Many groups while good at electronic, mechanical and software design, lack the management of manufacture experience, that fourth leg. Manufacture engineering, and quality management are not to be ignored iwith quantity.

1 Like

I have heard this about kickstarters (not just music projects) that they become a victim of their own success: they simply cannot create enough of the product and ultimately fail.

3 Likes

Yeah, any benefits of industrial scaling assume you’ve got the headcount, trained assemblers, good contacts for orders that large… and without any established products to provide a float any learning lessons may rob from ability to deliver the entire product.

Indie manufacturers have a perfect space that they want and that they’re capable of reaching and it’s very difficult to know how many of them will adapt to crowdfunding success in ways that they can roll and improve on, there’s definitely going to be pains between moderate success and the need to turn side-gig hobby into full-time job to deliver, and how much the extra logistics fuck with early timelines.

1 Like

Two similar venture backed French companies, with similar backgrounds, and similar crowdfunded products.

Expressive E with the Osmose, which they got manufactured for them around the other side of the world in China. They paid dearly for that decision, upfront, though that now developed relationship may pay off for them in the long run, though many other manufacturers are hedging the China bet, and getting out.

Aodyo with the Anyma Omega. Aodyo instead has decided to near-shore the manufacture. They are doing both a keyboard and desktop of the same product. Not sure if the manufacturing is being done under contract like EE did. This is also what i access to be a manufacturing challenge, though perhaps a notch below the challenge taken on by EE.

Both companies had manufactured products before, EE the Touche’, Aodyo, the Sylphyo, and the Anyma Phi. Despite the Anyma Omega growing from an open source software base that they developed for their AP, they still have a lot more software left to do.

Another risk that EE took on was having to depend so much on Haken for their sound engine. This both benefitted them and cost them. An interesting long term question for them is do they expand their relationship with Haken, or do they expand using their cpnsiderable software synth products ?

We shall see how Aodyo does coming up, they are in the hottest part of their development right now !

3 Likes

Here’ s a new one to check out. You’ve seen the Air Guitar competitions. Now you can Air Drum, for real !!!

Go watch the video at the Kickstarter page. I thought it was make believe at first, but it’s not.

Aerodrums 2 KS

You hook it up to your computer and can see a virtual drum kit that you play.

Just the image from the KS video.

Four days in and it’s already funded.

Sure beats hauling a drum kit around. Would you perform with this ? And YES it has MIDI out.

It also includes learning software.

2 Likes

A big part of playing drums is the bounce of the stick off the drum when you hit it. So yeah, this looks like fun but completely gimmicky.

6 Likes

Oh, this is not really going to be great* or much cheaper than a pad set.

That’s not really a sign that it’s going to meet expectations :smiley:

*It’s a fine toy but what it’s being presented for is not really a replacement for Drumkat or Nord Drum 3 or anything.

I believe there’s also a pre-existing airdrummer tech that’s better than it, I’ll edit in if I can locate.

Chorda from Artiphon

This is going crazy on Kickstarter right now.

One of those buy me KS videos :

Very effective video.

Has four play modes :: Drum, Bass, Chord, and Lead. With that you can also loop and layer parts.

Built-in synth, MPE too, Can be used on a desktop, or held like a ukulele. I can even see it being interesting for some here at Elektronauts, especially at the price. Shipping set for November – if all goes right.

1 Like

Everything seems implemented much better than with Orba, nice price also. Good work Artiphon.

199 before tax, definitely worth a shot being pretty cheap

That video was painful to watch. But I guess if you want to make some money just give the people something that saves them from having to learn 30 minutes of music theory. That thing is like the juicero of musical instruments.

5 Likes

Custom built for the couldn’t be bothered to RTFM crowd.

1 Like

So it’s like Guitar Hero for 2023?

2 Likes

Organ rhythm presets, Omnichords, let people (and Damon Albarn) have their fun!

Air drummer thing I can’t quite abide though :frowning:

4 Likes

As a synth, I’m skeptical.

As a music-theory-in-a-box it is probably less sophisticated than the Pyramid, NDLR, or other such tools that we enjoy.

As a guitar-like touch controller, it could be a big win. It reminds me of the Eigenharp, but with much lower cost and commitment. For $200, it is an impulse buy candidate but not something I urgently need.