Logic Pro X (Session View update) vs. Ableton Live

I mean id like it to port to ios to use for mixing and mastering ios projects. So I can use drambo for example then bounce to audio and mix in a traditional daw.

Saying that I guess cubasis already does that

Im probably just lusting over something I don’t technically need lol

You probably tried this, but creating a Logic template didn’t work? For instance, I’ve got a Battery session with all my aux channels and a custom midi template setup for my controller. I can use that as my default kit or just switch out the sounds, etc.

I have a couple of basic templates that I have created to speed up things and it makes it so much faster for the various projects I do on a regular basis.

Isn’t a ‘template’ just a project file in a different folder?

I was making a new project, painstakingly setting up about 35 controller assignments, saving as “init”, loading it back up and finding that the faders were all mixed up and the knob for a HP filter was now controlling pan on a different channel etc.

The thought of constantly going into the horrible editor to figure out what changed made me reach for the Live Lite license that came with the Keylab. Works flawlessly.

Also, no matter the settings (scale etc) some controller action was very steppy / jumpy so crap for live jamming and recording to audio. Did a bit of reading around some forums and it seemed to be accepted as a flaw due to “floating ports” whatever that means.

Sorry I can’t help you as I’ve never experienced that problem. With templates, I’ve always found that things are in exactly the same state every time, so it must be a deeper, more complex issue.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, if you want to record overbridge to audio tracks, yes you still have to route via aux busses.

It all still seems to work fine though in the latest update.

Couldn’t leave behind M4L, plus Ableton has been pretty stable on v10. If it was whilst using 8/9 then Id have been tempted.

Been a Logic user for literally decades, then went to Ableton for the grid. Then bought a Push and haven’t really looked back. But that new clip launching feature looks pretty sweet and is well integrated into the arrangement section. Also looks like Apple has cleaned up the excessive skeuomorphism. And the iPad integration, while not a Push, is certainly better than nothing (I use Touchable with Ableton so imagine it would be similar). Hmmm…

1 Like

Have you had a look at Studio One? When it comes to midi mapping controllers to VSTs and global functions, I find it to be the most advanced and yet simplest DAW I’ve tried.

Mappings are stored not in projects but with your midi controller settings in Studio One. So let’s say you map your controller to eg Repro-5 once, then in any project you open, your controller will maintain that particular mapping you set up once. Same goes for global mappings (faders, transport etc).

It’s a really cool feature of Studio One.

2 Likes

I just finished watching the full MacProVideo course on Live Loops. I watched most of it on my lunch break and then finished it after dinner.

At first I wasn’t really seeing the appeal of this as everything I’ve seen so far on it has been more about just using prerecorded loops with it, but after watching that video I’m pretty stoked to try it out.

It’s integrated really well with the regular track mode in Logic and seems super flexible in terms of starting a project in one and then moving the project over to the other.

A few things I really liked were:

(1) having the option to either record the performance from live loops or just simply move scenes over to the regular Logic tracks view manually to create an arrangement.

(2) having the option to either record the performance effects as you are recording your live loops or record them separately on an automation lane one you’ve recorded or moved everything over to the tracks view.

(3) the ease of creating your own custom Apple loops out of any audio or midi loops you create to save for future projects.

I still haven’t even loaded up the update yet, but will dive in this weekend.

One thing I wasn’t clear on is if everything is automatically time stretched once it’s in live loops mode. Are you stuck with your original tempo or will it time stretch your audio? Anyone know off hand?

Did you quantized the audio track to 1/16? Then it should follow your master tempo.

1 Like

It looks like Live Loops is already preconfigured to work with the Novation Launchpad if anyone has one.

I was super hyped on the update and then I tried previewing samples while the arrangement, or live loops were playing…whomp whomp

Back to Ableton

5 Likes

That’s a deal breaker :sob:

Previewing always felt like it was my next track in the dj set depending on your output cues on. Your interface.

that‘s another reason I switched to ableton.
Midi routing is dead simple.
In Logic you have to fiddle with the overcomplicated environment for even simple setups. I know it‘s much more powerful, but I don‘t have the patience when it can be so easy

1 Like

You don’t actually. But if you wanna do specialized stuff…

Anyways fuck it. Nothings gonna satisfy anyone. Constantly striving for something new to make you better (you = people). Only you make you better. No gear will help that.

Finito

7 Likes

I really like Logic, pretty sure I’ll to continue to use if for ITB editing, mixdowns and “mastering” with stems, but for easy MIDI and hardware integration, live jams and all that fun stuff Ableton seems to be just the ticket.

I’ve used Logic’s environment for certain things in the past but thought - jeez, to use Logic’s software LFOs on Audio track inserts I have to put the DAW up on blocks and re-configure the “environment”? Like, yeah anything and everything is possible but can I really be bothered? :rofl:

1 Like

last stupid thing I present re: clips…
you can just use em for automation. as I had mentioned I was thinking of trying. it werks really well. just a vid demonstrating that. shit tune…but that’s not the point of this vid.

excuse the erratic mouse moves…it even drives ME crazy watching that indecisiveness. I’m not used to clips and I see I was switching before some even finished :thinking:

3 Likes

I keep trying to vibe with Logic and it’s so not working.

The sample preview thing just kills the flow. Having to stop the sequencer to preview samples is rough.

Plus I just don’t have the muscle memory, key commands down to jam with it.

I will say this, the arrange page is awesome. So big, easy to navigate and move stuff around. Very informative with where stuff is. Love that.

But yea, it’s not Ableton. Nor the history I have with Ableton. But I want to love it…

Some cool step sequencer features shown here:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the automation rows in the step sequencer? It looks to me like it could be used to p-lock steps. Is that so?

(Can’t test myself — Mac is too old to update to this new version).

1 Like