Logic Pro X (Session View update) vs. Ableton Live

I haven’t messed with it yet as work has been mad, but that is exactly what it looks like including randomization. You can also use track multipliers, skip steps, and a bunch of other cool sequencer tricks.

1 Like

Yes and yes. You can p-lock every parameter of internal and external plugins.

2 Likes

This video of drum designer is also quite cool. I’m guessing that this will basically replace Battery for me as my go to drum program. It looks so convenient to use from all of the videos I’ve seen.

6 Likes

Really is a great update. Sequencer is really cool, so buttery smooth

It exists as an unmapped key command called “Stop or Play From Last Position”. I mapped SHIFT-SPACEBAR to it, overriding the “play from selection” option.

Enjoy!
P

4 Likes

Really need to spend time with these samplers. Both seem to have a very similar workflow to how I used the OT and DT and to have all that in a DAW Easy to use with a nice clean interface is definitely enticing.

Never really used software samplers to get wild with things. Even with Abletons I barely touch them. Keen to give these Logic options are solid go though.

1 Like

This update is absolutely brilliant, I can’t see myself coming up for days! I recommend the free course on MacProVideo - it goes further into all the new stuff and I’ve found it very useful: https://www.macprovideo.com/course/logic-pro-x-100---what-s-new-in-logic-pro-x-10-5

2 Likes

Not tested yet, but seems that we could run our elektron boxess via this Logic step sequencer without loosing the tight connection between the elektron sequencer and the synth engine that makes special the swedish machines.
I could be wrong on that point of course, at least for the tactile and immediacy point of views.
Dunno, what you think about it?

I’m down to just a MC hardware wise (other than Push, CME xkey and KKmk2 keyboards). Got an Osmose on preorder but it’s tough to justify the outlay just now.

For a fraction of the cost I could be all on board with Logic. I wish the fret and scale options in Remote could be used with 3rd party stuff. Find it a great way for playing bass or for a strum effect. Maybe it is possible and I’ve not sussed it yet.

I still think Push is the ultimate controller. Very hard to give that up so will most likely rocking two DAWs for a while.

Wow nice update! I use Logic mostly for recoring / mixing, but not for composing. Maybe this update will change that.

Any tips for hardware controllers for this Logic version? And not the iPad app (i dislike touchscreens for that).

1 Like
1 Like

Anyone know how to assign a midi controller knob to a soft synth, and keep that assignment when you select another track?

I can assign a knob to a synth, but when I change tracks, the knob doesn’t work anymore…

It’s been awhile and I’m on an older version but I believe you go to the controller assignments window where you should see a “Class” parameter which should be set to “channel strip”, underneath that a “Channel Strip” parameter where you would set to “software instrument”, and then to the right you input a number, the number selecting which software instrument channel strip to control. If you have say four software instrument channel strips, 0 would be the first one from left to right on the mixer, 1 the second, etc… Hope that makes sense…

2 Likes

Thank so much! I’m actually starting to jam with Logic. It really needs a Dedicated controller now

2 Likes

That’s what the iPad is for. I just wish you could assign any FX plugin to the two remix pads.

1 Like

In the environment you can set up dedicated assignable knobs to whatever. Will save with the scene.

Tried now the step sequencer.
That’s dope, practically is the Elektron sequencer on steroids.
What’s missing of course is the tactile experience that, at least for me, and with all the limitations of the hardware, still makes me feel better than clicking dropdown list and buttons via a mouse.
Although is more limited features wise, the Elektron interface is obviously more immediate.
Almost apples vs pears, but well… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I reckon if these features (proper step sequencer, a Drum Machine Designer that wasn’t just a skin for Ultrabeat, Quick Sampler) had been available in Logic a few years back, I might never have bought a Digitakt, and so I probably wouldn’t have bought all this other hardware, too. Kind of crazy to think how differently things could have turned out.

3 Likes

I’ve never really used Ableton so Live Loops is really foreign to me.

I’ve been watching Novation Launchpad videos, but I really don’t understand the appeal of these kinds of controllers. Can someone break it down for me?

Keyboards and drum pads just seen more intuitive to me. Honestly, I came up on an MPC, but recently I much prefer a keyboard, even for drums. Kind of reminds me of the old ASR-10 style.

Also, I finally dived in and I love the new drag and drop work flow for samples and the fact that you can start something in the sampler and with a click convert it to drum designer. They absolutely nailed it, IMHO. I’m gonna be working on a track this weekend so I’ll get a chance to really put it through the paces and I’ll get a chance to try arranging in the loop view.

1 Like

Big thumbs up to the step sequencer so far - the playback options are great fun. And the iPad is working nicely as a controller for those sample slices. Also figured out how to use the fret board and other controller options with 3rd party plugins.

Only got time for a quick play tonight but lots of fun so far. Recorded my ukulele in and playing away super quickly. Actually sounds great too!

3 Likes