Logic Pro X (Session View update) vs. Ableton Live

Downloaded trial version of Studio One 2 days ago since I felt uninspired by Logic…not so much anymore - will dive in tonight!

1 Like

I thought there was a learning curve for Elektron gear…

Logic…ouch

3 Likes

Mojave runs 32bit apps doesn’t it? What would you lose?

I ask because I’m just about to update from Sierra.

Phewf! I’m going to pull the trigger then. I’ve been gradually moving over to Live but still have a lot of love for some aspects of Logic. Now that it’s not a pita to sample.

right!?! and even if you didn’t own a license, $200 for this is nothing. what’s Ableton these days for the full enchilada, $1k?

this release is awesome. I might have to finally upgrade my music machine so I can run it. I actually just decided last night that I need to go back to Logic. although I love the Ableton work flow, everything I do in Logic just ends up sounding better.

4 Likes

My Arturia spark controller has issues with Mojave that’s why I didn’t move. I use C6 also. I think there’s another 32 accessory or app I use that isn’t supported in Mojave

1 Like

Seriously. It’s crazy. I spent several weeks doing the Apple Logic Pro certification course (workbook) and it was a huge help. I feel a lot more comfortable getting around now and have come to love Logic, although I still feel like I’ve just scratched the surface.

2 Likes

I’ve been fooling around for the last hour and I’m very impressed.

Sampling is super fast and intuitive (finally!), the live loops are fun and handy and the polyphonic/polymetric/automate anything step sequencer is super.

3 Likes

I still can’t wrap my head around how to adapt my workflow to the new loop mode since I never used Ableton, so I’m gonna watch the new course up on MacPro Video, since I’m a subscriber.

So far I’m so excited about everything I’ve seen, and I’m hoping I will like the loop mode once I understand it.

Can’t wait to try this (note self: after I finish the track I’m working on currently- otherwise it’ll never get done). This plus OB2 could be a game changer in terms of work flow, it seems really neat!

1 Like

To me, there’s something quite Digitakty to the quick sampler approach. And that is a really good thing!

I really need to free up a few evenings to get in to this new update!

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing.

1 Like

Really tempting, looks a great update. Been using Ableton for 10+ years and feel really happy with my workflow at the moment and am able to finish tracks quite easily, which is the main goal after all.
As tempting as Logic is, I’m not sure I want to spend a whole bunch of time learning a new daw, although i’m sure the transition wouldn’t be too bad…

1 Like

I’m in a similar boat. Figured I’m all In with Apple right now so was trying out the Logic trial (you get a fresh 90 days with the 10.5 version by the way).

I hit road blocks immediately and thought “forget it”. Realised I was being unrealistic and daft though and followed a couple of Logic basics on YouTube. That made a huge difference.

There remains a few quirks but on the whole they even out with some of the cool stuff Logic does. Don’t think it’ll be my one and only DAW, I’d miss Push and I’m quite fluid with Live, but It’ll almost certainly be the DAW of choice for a close friend and I’d like to keep working with him so no harm learning the basics of a second DAW. And with the added 10.5 features who knows where I’ll end up from here…

3 Likes

Does anyone tried overbridge with the logic update? Do you still have to go the route via aux busses etc?

Just updated to 10.5 and had to upgrade the OS too. So far so good. The samplers are really nice

2 Likes

I always liked logic but ableton always suited my workflow better. Especially with Max for live.

I used logic before for mixing and mastering my finished ableton tracks and have considered doing that again but im happy enough with what I’ve set up in ableton with waves, plugin alliance and softube vsts

What does interest me though is how this looks like it may port to the ipad when you consider how the control app works after the update.

1 Like

GarageBand on iOS has had the Live Loop and step sequencer feature for a while.

1 Like

Looks like an improvement, but I recently ditched Logic Pro X after 4-5 years in favour of Live Lite purely because I wanted to set up a thorough MIDI controller assignment template with my Keylab MKII for every new project.

Logic kept forgetting all the assignments and messing them up every time I turned on my laptop. Ableton remembers everything perfectly and I’m actually enjoying the limitations of Lite.

Has anyone heard of this issue being addressed in the 10.5 update?

A DAW has basically become a mixer and “multi track recorder” to support my mostly hardware workflow anyway so I’m not sure it’s worth dealing with the MIDI crappiness. :thinking: