Logic Pro X (Session View update) vs. Ableton Live

I do subscribe to Slate, but that’s it.

Anyone mess with the Drum Synth much? That, with the new step sequencer is pretty great

Haha, unfortunately, not from Bristol myself. I’d love to visit there one day. Had to have a friend carrying the rack from there to my country: enforcing my limit! :slightly_smiling_face:
If you decide to go modular, I’d say start slowly. Your wallet will love that approach! And use stackable jack to open up many more possibilities.
Oh, and keep the OT if you can. I had a chance to play with it a bit and it’s a beast. I think it’s very different from modular, and you might enjoy using both. Cheers!

I just tried the Autosampler on the Model:Cycles…
this shit werks GREAT! im really blown away at how well it werked out. I gotta try this with the SH-101 next.

so easy…and it was nice being able to play some of the Cycles synth sounds, poly.

I suggest giving it a whirl if you wanna build a sample library of your own. :+1:t6: :+1:t6: :+1:t6:

6 Likes

Sweet. I’m planning to sample the hell out of my MS-101. I’m loving being ITB so much at the moment that if I like the results I might end up selling the 101 when I’m done. With the new corona world, we are trying to get rid of as much unnecessary stuff as possible to keep things clean and tidy. City living.

1 Like

This might be of interest to some people as I know a lot of ‘nauts love their LFOs. Logic midi effects are often overlooked I think.

3 Likes

ya that Logic modulator is awesome. but you cant transmit midi from Logic AU/VST externally.
unless in 10.5 you can. [I haven’t watched the vid yet]

otherwise id be LFOing the SHIT out of everything and wouldn’t need extra software running like Blocks just to send LFO to my rack [tho I use it for other stuff too]

ADDING: OKAY WTF…it werks NOW?! :+1:t6:

just tried it…oh man…this is great

so I put a modulator on the Digitone AU track, set the modulators LFO to CC10 panning. WERKS. and THEN…you can, with automation, change the rate to modulation of the LFO. you can probably modulate that with another modulator. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

so how stable is your Logic 10.5.? Recently I got a lot of crashes. It Looks like to be releated to the new logic plugins.

On example: I have a bassdrum going from the quicksampler. On another Audio track I have a bass loop. Now I add Izotope Alloy 2 to sidechain compress the bass agains the kick. When I set things up everything works as expected. But after saving, closing and re-opening the project, Logic always crashes when loading up the alloy AU. Never had crashes when using Battery 4 instead of the Quicksampler. omg.

btw. i´m on macbook pro 13" 2018 with latest macOS.

Incredibly unstable for me.

I was getting all the crashes others reported on NI plugins but most disappointingly I was getting crashes from Logic’s stock library. Having a cell looping and interchanging presets to try things out is a huge no no on my system and unfortunately a huge way in how I work.

There’s an expectation that some bug fix updates will flow through post WWDC on 22 June so will revisit things once they land. For now though, I’m back all in with Live.

1 Like

there is already a new update 10.5.1 … but still I got some crashes.

btw. as long as I don´t use logic stock plugins I have no crashes and everything works. wich is totally shame. Quicksample looks really good to beef up some drum samples. Just add filter, some drive …. much faster then Battery.

1 Like

I’ve finished maybe 3-4 projects on it, and the only crashes I’ve had was when I was running a huge project last week. It could just be that I’m running stable plugins or could be because I have a really powerful computer (iMac Pro). I don’t use the new Live Loops though.

Edit: I have used both the Quick Sampler and DMD in my projects without any problems.

1 Like

Might give 10.5.1 a go then and see if improved.

It’s an odd one as I can go a full evening with rock solid performance but follow that up with an evening where it would genuinely crash a dozen times putting me in a right mood.

If Ableton didn’t have Push I’d persevere with things but it’s such a great tool. A shame that the Novation option in Logic doesn’t quite deliver the smooth clip launch-to-midi playing that Push does.

2 Likes

Stable, no issues other than OB multi-outs not werking. Hoping 10.5.1 addresses that.
Doubting it will…I think it just won’t display outs that aren’t werking.

Been stable for me except some crashes why a couple Izotope plugins and Izotope are aware of the issues, so I’m confident they’ll get fixed

1 Like

It’s sounding like 10.5.1 may actually fix that stuff. Gonna update shortly.

Doesn’t look like 10.5.1 is available on the trial yeti for some reason. No biggie, back to Ableton for now it is.

FIXED! Multi-outs in Logic werk!

1 Like

I was having lots of crashing with Waves plugins in 10.5. But I just updated to 10.5.1, and Waves plugins are now all stable here.

2 Likes

Okay, I just deleted the WaveShell component after crashing on 10.5.1 too :rofl:

Izotope Alloy 2 works so far. But I guess it‘s out of support (at least it‘s not listed for Catalina compatibilty because of ilok shizzle). Also plug in alliance got me some crashes. But after reinstalling my pa plugins everything is back on work again. So only 1 crash in 5 hours studio work is not that bad nowadays :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I just saw the bug fix list and it appears that most of the crashes they resolved had to do with Live Loops. Since I don’t use those, it might explain why I haven’t had many crashes and others have.

I was pretty much exclusively using loops in the end so it’s likely much of my issues are gone now. Just need to work out a way to get the latest version to test it while still on the trial!

1 Like