Logic Pro X (Session View update) vs. Ableton Live

after updating from Mojave to Santa Catalina (which is a nice place in Panama by the way and starting point to Coiba National Park … fingers crossed that we can go travelling one day again) … it finally worked updating Logic.

I also didn´t really gel with Ableton. I really like the mixer view in Logic. Always gives me the feeling working on a mixing desk :smiley: and big point for me, you can set level metering from linear to exponentioal, which gives you a better resolultion with the peaks. Also automations are way more advanced in logic … drawing all kinds of curves or just simply set “latch”, recoding the movement of plugin parameter like feedback on a delay … done. Ofcourse the midi enviroment is still a pain.

I was on the fence to Bitwig. Let´s see if Logic 10.5 can cover the lust.

That’s good news! I can’t go beyond Mojave because of Photoshop 6. :pensive: One day when I can’t delay anymore… Great to hear you’re back on track. :grinning:

2 Likes

Bringing this one back up: anyone tried 10.5 with a launchpad yet?

I’ve seen a video of clip launching working fine but I’d like to know if easy/quick switching into a chromatic “Push like” mode is capable. I know you can do it with a launchpad Live just not sure if the logic integration is more of a clip launch only thing

1 Like

My dude! I don’t play anymore but played blade clubs. Hated Ping - their putters were cool though

2 Likes

a bit off topic…but since we are here…

BLADES! ya I’m all about the Taylormade P730! LOVE EM!

[back to Logic]

im gonna look at Ableton Lite again…just to see about this MAX4Live business.
I LOVE Logic…but I just wonder if the M4L stuff might do CC better. sync-wise

1 Like

Have you looked into the Affinity Suite? Although I have no idea what your reasons are for Photoshop 6, these Affinity Apps are top notch. Free for 90 days and 50% off purchase.

Sorry to be off topic.

Getting back on track…

1 Like

Why stay in PS 6?

(Why am I asking this in a Logic thread) :thinking:

Thanks! I have to do it sooner or later because I won’t go the subscription route. It’s just that I hate to relearn the software and try to delay it. But you’re right, I should just do it. It’s better optimized for Mac as well, I heard. Now, back on Topic, folks, sorry. :sweat_smile:

Exactly, time to move on to Affinity! By the way, (try to be a bit OT) isn’t Quick Sampler amazing? Coming from DP, LP is quite a luxury. I like to grind my own pasta sometime, but it’s also great to have modern convenience. :grin:

Adobe Cloud is only 50 a month…and you get latest of everything. Super great.

Think I’ll be sticking with Live. For now. Logic 10.5 is terribly unstable for me. I can have crashes into doubles figures over one evening.

Such a shame as I really was getting into the groove with it. I’m sure Apple will iron out most of the kinks soon enough. These crashes were often with the stock library rather 3rd party apps.

Again, I’ll speak for the pair of us.

NO SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!

Ahhhhhhh
Lol
that said, I do understand the reasoning behind it. It’s not like something you buy and then that’s it… it stays new. That costs money. Simples!

1 Like

This Logic Pro update is really something! I’ve been working from home and have been using the DAW more. Haven’t touched my hardware. I actually put off using the ESX Sampler just because of the GUI. I just couldn’t. That sounds so snobbish but it just didn’t take my fancy. I decided to bite the bullet and get to grips with it. Then it changed inbetween projects and I was like BOOYA!!! This thing is the absolute nuts!!! So so so so good! I’m loving all aspects. The loops seem cool but the other stand out feature is that sequencer.

This is the quickest I have ever added velocity changes to some hi hats. That is HUGE for me.

I am still getting to grips with it all. I picked up the Arturia V Collection at the weekend and I am loving DAW life. Over the past couple of years I bought software effects and now I have these instruments. And now this great DAW!!!

I am so very thankful. The only thing I haven’t tried is modular. Guitar or piano don’t really interest me but a Make Noise Black and Gold System completely takes my interest.

1 Like

For pitch detection you can use your voice & ears (good skill to acquire :)). I know it seems daunting at first, but a good tip a piano player once gave me is to loop a section of a sample/song (4-16 bars) and hum along a consistent single note/tone…the tone that “works” throughout the loop will most likely be your Tonic (Root Note). So once you have that, play notes on your piano/vst until you find it on your keyboard. Now you know your tonic and from there you just need to work out if the key is Major/Minor (happy/sad vibe).

2 Likes

did anyone tried working with Logic Remote on an iPad? I see this can become a great “staying on the Couch” DAW :smiley: But honestly, this is fun. starting clips / scenes with your fingertipps. Just didn´t figured out how to display the step sequencer in Logic Remote.

1 Like

Be careful: that modular is the gateway drugs indeed. :sweat_smile:
I controlled my addiction by limiting the rack space, which I had to ask someone to carry in from Bristol. Once it was full, it’s done! :wink:
And now I need to put those modular samples into LP Quick Sampler, ha!

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. I should practice this. I took jazz guitar lessons for a while and my teacher used to always stress the importance of singing/humming when trying to figure out tunes and coming up with lines. Makes me want to take lessons again.

3 Likes

Just had hours of fun on the Buchla V using Logic as the DAW. That thing is nuts. Been sat for about an hour each night trying to work it out. Bought that MiRack. Seems decent enough. Just can’t beat real buttons for jams like that.

Logic has been great for getting tunes down quickly. I’m loving how fast it is to get results.

Maybe nice to get hardware samples into the DAW but I’m having fun keeping them both separate and seeing how far I can push both worlds.

Hmmm… the only other planet really is modular. I’ve got an OT and a Sub 37 in their boxes. I wonder how much that would build me? I think I need to fiddle more deeply with some things on MiRack and get a solid idea before getting into hard crack. Lol
Thanks for the chat! Nice to see Bristol there. Gloucester boy, meself.

1 Like

Subscriptions are not all worth it.
For what I do, the Adobe sub is fantastic.
Subscribing to Maya, is shit. I wouldn’t subscribe to a DAW either or a vst.

1 Like

I do subscribe to Slate, but that’s it.

Anyone mess with the Drum Synth much? That, with the new step sequencer is pretty great