Logic Pro X (Session View update) vs. Ableton Live

Just set up a track and start recording automation to it. That’s it

I messed around playing with multiple automation loops to mess up my base audio track. It werked really well.

I really wanted this to work. Even went out and found a used Novation Launchpad Pro to integrate with Logic. Anytime I get more than one loop going, it crashes Logic. This may just be my Macbook Pro finally getting old though. Interestingly enough, I can record like 16 live multi tracks into Logic with no problem. Does my MBP from 2014 seem like it should handle it? Running all the newest updates/OS, 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

I must be missing something. I still can’t figure this out. The automation lanes show between both Grid view and Track view, but I can’t create any automation loops on their own. The automation is always attached to the audio or midi region.

turn on Touch or Latch or Write…it should record the automation to that clip.

ill giver a go right now and report

alright so I just tried it…you don’t need to enable touch or anything,
just create an External Instrument track. make it transmit and receive to [ELEKTRON BOX] in my case I used Digitone. set the Channel to the one you want to record. in the cells hit record. then start moving an Encoder. it’ll record what you did. you can make feels on duplicate tracks for whatever you want.

image of panning data recorded…[that’s in the cell not and automation track]

actually I had made a previous vid showing this. SHIT sounds. but it just there to demonstrate.

I have a bunch of diff automation for different stuff…and I was just randomly picking stuff. I was stupid at times chasing pics before a loop even finished. but you get the idea.

2 Likes

Thank you. I understand now. So your technique will work well for external devices but I don’t think it will work for audio tracks and soft synths, as I can’t think of a way to address the instrument or effects from another track.

However I think I’ve managed to sort it. I created an aux channel and added a full track to it. I can then route any other channel to a bus on that track and add effects to the aux. The aux track can then have automations applied to it as live loops that are independent to the source track.

2 Likes

so…editing cuz I was able to do on the tracking panning. but not on the Retrosynth parameters.

you gotta be able to. ill figure it out.

1 Like

Glad you figured out a way. The example I saw was applying the effects separately in the track view, not the loops view. I don’t use loops (yet) so I’m not the best person to ask unfortunately.

1 Like

I think for Retrosynth params you’d have to dive into the MIDI Environment for Logic and do some routing of one channel’s MIDI data into the channel which Retrosynth is on. Then you could automate CCs.

1 Like

I use a 2018 Macbook Pro 13"…I want to switch to Logic, because live is just to quick to bring the coolers up and running to full speed. Logic doesn´t. Is it just me or is it crappy Ableton?

To me the biggest attraction to Live is m4l and the clean interface. The older Logic interface pre x was an absolute work of art, it’s a shame they changed it.

2 Likes

I figured out how to loop infinitely -so happy.

Inspector loop length.

1 Like

Is there any way to jam with Logic pro? Like assign multiple controller knobs to multiple things in Logic?

I want to say yes.

there is a midi learn window where you can assign any controller knobs, sliders etc…lemme find that for you.

here this might do better than me trying to describe…as my writing skills are scattered at best. I’ve done this before. werks well.

1 Like

There’s also an LFO/Env thing…I think it’s a plug called Modulator. You can map that to modulate stuff in Logic too

I have no idea if there is a general Logic thread here, but I thought it would be worth posting this video. I hadn’t paid any attention to the recent update, but it seems like the step sequencer got some really nice upgrades! I really haven’t been using the step sequencer much, but I think I’m going to give it more of a chance now. It’s starting to fill out nicely.

nice they really beefed up the seq :+1:t6:

1 Like

I love the “p-locks” it has, but they take way too many clicks to adjust.

If you have an iPad too, then you can use Apple’s free Logic Remote app to put the sequencer on its touch screen. It’s pretty great.

2 Likes

I do, but I haven’t tried it out! Thanks!

So…you guys are in a Big Sur or Monterey?
Did any apps you use stop werking?

I’m still on Mojave, only for C6, which it completely silly. I hesitant on going to Monterey as I don’t know how Maya is with it. And I can afford to have my anim package stop werking.

Lastly, I keep forgetting, what is the replacement for C6? “Something” lib?

I wish C6 got the update. It’s so straight forward.

Im not updating anything until I finish a project I’m working on. Been about a year since the last major update for me.