Live record mod wheel PB data from external keyboard?

Yes, that does work. MERGE OUT AND THRU.

Str.

There is a problem with this solution if you use the digitakt to route your controller to different destinations depending of the tune. Which for me is an excellent feature (not really usable because of those DT limitations).

If for example you use Midi Track A to route on channel 1 or 2 depending on the pattern to control synth 1 or synth 2, your notes on/off will be on a certain channel and the CC on another one.

That’s why, for me this solution didn’t really work.

to me is really ridiculous to devo te to an external merge box what just few lines of code in a new firmware could fix.
I wonder after all of these request what keep elektron devs busy with than just an easy fix

really disappointed… if somebody wanna swap its mpc1000 i am ready to ship my digitakt

3 Likes

So frustrated to have discovered this limitation. The inability to record pitchbend or modwheel data from a connected MIDI keyboard is sad. It is even sadder that the DT can’t at least pass pitchbend and modwheel through for performance. The lack of these things makes the MIDI sequencer part of the DT so much less useful than it could be with this very small change. I very much doubt this is a huge engineering challenge, so PLEASE Elektron, help us out with this.

7 Likes

Is there a way for us to know if this is even being considered in a future firmware update? I’m also very interested in this, it’s definitely an unnecessary limitation.

3 Likes

I don’t know.
Had similar issues.

OOF This is such a bummer - Am I really considering buying an $80 Merger JUST to use pitch bend with my setup ???

wwwhhyyyyyy
:.(

This seems like it should be such a simple fix…

Please Elektron let the DT pass Pitch and Modwheel data to our synths!!

4 Likes

#MeeToo #SecondWeekWithDigitakt :frowning:

3 Likes

+million on PB & Modwheel passthrough

EDIT: forgot aftertouch

6 Likes

+another million plzzzz

3 Likes

Pass through would be fine if it’s not possible for the sequencer to handle this data.

1 Like

But also, make the sequencer able to handle the data :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Wow. No CC pass through yet? I’ve been using my iPad as a source for LFOs and other cool things and the only limitation is my DT. :disappointed:

Cc messages pass through the DT just fine. It’s mod wheel and pitch bend that doesn’t pass. If you cannot get cc messages to pass thru from the iPad likely it may be a different issue.

On your iPad if you are connecting you iPad to the DT via usb you are looking at a different issue. The usb midi and din midi are separate hardware wise and thus the DT doesn’t function as a usb to midi thru. This issue cannot be fixed as it’s a hardware limitation.

2 Likes

Sorry. You are right. I still have an issue with my keystep’s mod strip but if I assigned a CC in the CC page the information goes from iPads to my SE-02. Not exactly pass through but more than enough for what I needed it.

+1 from me! I love the digitakt, I love what it does, I even enjoy its limitations. But this limitation I don’t enjoy. Please @Ess and the Elektron team, if this feature isn’t drawn back by hardware decisions, we NEED pitchbend/modwheel and sustain messages on the DT/DN! I’m on my knees :bowing_man:‍♂

6 Likes

I have to agree, this feature is really needed. It filters out the messages to my other synths in the chain.

2 Likes

It is very strange to me that this limitation still exists, I have to merge the DT Out and Thru and assign my PB and mod wheel their own MIDI channel based on which synth I want to play live at the time. It works but it’s very very clunky. Elektron, please please please allow us to change this behavior. It’s one of my only remaining issues with the DT, otherwise it’s perfect.

8 Likes

As others have mentioned previously, my workaround for sending pitch bend and mod wheel information to my synths whilst playing live is go into the MIDI track SRC page and set them by enabling PB (E) and MW (G) and using (E) and (G) to control in real time. It’s far from perfect and a real shame it cannot be recorded in or controlled from my master keyboard but at least I don’t have to re-patch the midi cable to the synth I want to use or purchase a merge box to do so.

1 Like