Live record mod wheel PB data from external keyboard?

Bump!

After having the Digitakt a while and only using the sample tracks until now, I’ve just got into the MIDI sequencing side of things and have been finding it great - the simplicity feels very liberating compared with DAW sequencing.

BUT… I’ve also just discovered the DT won’t receive or even pass through PB or MW messages. It’s crazy and very disappointing. The DT is supposedly a fully fledged MIDI sequencer as well as, of course, a drum machine. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to expect this to work.

Does anyone know if Elektron know about this and/or has plans to fix it?

3 Likes

+1 Yes, please implement pass through! The digitakt is the main router for my midi keyboard to all of my synths. This means I effectively can’t use MW, PB, or AT, without some reconfiguring on the fly. But I love being able to change my MIDI output by changing midi tracks in the DT.

4 Likes

HI All

I think I have a fix !!!
digitakt midi tracks can receive midi CC inputs (like modweeh, sustain or whatever) but these inputs need to be routed to the 8 midi param the digitakt allow you to parameter
( page filter, val1 ; val 2 etc.)
this is not explained in the manual but the “filter midi page” of the digitakt receive same midi ins as the filter page for standard tracks
val 1 get midi CC 70
val 2 midi CC 71
val 3 CC72
val 4 CC73
val 5 is CC74
val 6 is CC75
val 7 is CC76
val 8 is CC 70

then you need a midi keyboard with assignable modwheel ( mine does that)
route your modwheel to midi CC 71 ( for ex)
and then on Cc select page (= amp page) on the digitakt route sel1 ( knob A) to midi cc1 = modwheel
then you can off course route whatever you want !
you can off course use multiple midi pages on digitakt if you want top control more than 8 param ( in channels give them the same midi channel)

limitation : as already said in this forum when you record modwheel, it just has different values on each step, not a continuous change

Improvement I’d like to see from elektron : accept midi ins on Midi source page

hope this will help you !

7 Likes

Rituun - some good ideas there, thanks! With some fiddling about I did get the modwheel working… but obviously needs to be setup for each MIDI track - doesn’t work with a synth’s default modwheel settings.

You don’t mention the pitchbend wheel at all - that’s really the major thing missing. Don’t suppose you’ve had any luck with that? On my keyboard at least, it’s not assignable, unlike the modwheel.

Elektron - please sort out pitchbend on the Digitakt!!

Cheers

Ben

same for the pitchbend. i don’t think there is anything doable. sorry

Still nothing here?
Can’t fu**in belive it elektron…!!!

1 Like

Same as everyone else, I would love Elektron to update this…the Digitakt is the main hub of my setup and it feels very limiting to not be able to use the pitch or mod wheel when I’m controlling another synth with it.

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

So, shock horror, with the launch of the Digitone Keys, Elektron have finally proved that they know what the pitchbend and modwheels do :slight_smile:

They also know what Portamento is…

All good news!

So, PLEASE Elektron, let’s see these very standard features (at the very least pitchbend MIDI in) make their way to the Digitakt. It really is a massive oversight right now.

2 Likes

Adding another request to the pile. It’s kind of a hilarious limitation when you consider everything else the DT can do. I’m sampling audio, arranging drum patterns, sequencing several synthesizers, p locking CC values, using it as an audio interface, and feeding everything in to Ableton through a USB cable.

Its like owning a car that makes French toast, but doesn’t have a cupholder.

4 Likes

@Ess we are begging you…can we use our pitch and mod wheels on the Digitakt???

The fact that I’m trying to figure out a way to make my DN the hub of my setup instead of the DT just seems ridiculous when the DT has twice the midi channels…just hate having to reach for a knob on the DT to control it instead of using the wheel. Seems minor but would make so many of us happy. :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve recently bought a digitone key. I decided to make the digitone key as the hub of my setup because I don’t mind to have only 4 midi tracks and … it does exactly the same !!! My keyboard midi controller plugged in the digitone key can only play notes on/off … So sad …

That makes me crazy, I’m loosing so much time not playing music, trying stupid workaround.

1 Like

Sometimes, when I encounter funny things like this oh, it makes me think of old school magic. You know, like where the wizard turns a pumpkin into a horse-drawn carriage, but it ends up being a horse-sized pumpkin with wheels and horsetail.

I experienced the same thing trying to connect my Wii remote to my MacBook to use as a Nintendo controller for emulation. I got everything mapped oh, but the A and B buttons are switched.

Sorry, just had to say.

The new update’s really great but yes @Ess (hehe), being able to use pitch and mod wheels into the Digitakt and thru the Digitakt is very much the last piece of the puzzle. It would really complete the machine. It’s sooo frustrating that otherwise the DT is a great MIDI centre piece. But what electronic musicians don’t use pitch and mod wheels throughout their work!?

Thanks for listening.

Zero

1 Like

Pitch and mod are not p-lockable for whatever reason on mine. I’d appreciate it if they were!

1 Like

Hello, I’ve had the DT for about a week, and have enjoyed making a study guide for the manual (hah) and jamming out. Midi implementation seems to be tripping me up a bit. I have a DX7 and a DW8000 I’m trying to sequence with the DT, and while I’m aware that there are limitations regarding the lack of CC on older synths, I was hoping to live record playing on the synths and save mod and pitch wheel movements on the DT. I can do this no problem on Ableton, it saves all my pitch and mod wheel info when I play. However when live recording from the DW8000 to the DT, it doesn’t register my pitch/mod movements at all. Is there a function in the midi sections I’m missing?

I’ve also tried to go back over existing midi trigs and live record pitch bends using the dedicated knob on the DT’s midi channel, and while it more or less works it sounds very “steppy” and not at all like the real pitch bend wheel. It is also difficult to get it to spring back to “0” like a real pitch bend wheel would. Maybe this is nitpicking but I like pitch bends a lot and would like to use them if I make a DT controlled set. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

I have the DT Keys and it doesn’t register pitch/mod either.

1 Like

the sequencer (of all elektron machines) only „records“ velocity as far as i know…

aftertouch, pitchbend, modwheel and so on can only change the sound „live“ but not be recorded in the sequencer

1 Like

I can still wish!

+1 to this. Wish I could at least get soft midi cc through, so that i can control my prophet from its own knobs, while it’s in a midi loop via the digitakt. I’m gonna try merging the digitakts through signal with it’s out signal, but I’m afraid i could get infinte midi feedback loops. Anyone tried this kind of setup?

1 Like