LFO: Note Doesnt work?

The LFO’s seem to work on every parameter except for the “Note” Parameter on the MIDI Machines…Does anyone else experience this?

I guess as a substitute it wouldn’t be a big deal to route it to the Pitch Bend instead, but I’m just curious if i’m doing something wrong

thank you

Yeah I also had this problem…

iirc a workaround can be to use some CTL machine as a mediator…
e.g. use an LFO on a CTL-8 machine, and assign the MIDI-machine’s pitch as target of the CTL-8. Not sure if this the right way, but a workaround along these lines does exist.

3 Likes

Yep Void, that is it. It is also help to use a control 8 on program change when using a midi machine as it seems to have a mind of its own otherwise.

2 Likes

Hi,
last night I was trying MD midi machines, and in particular sending an LFO to various destinations on my Waldorf Pulse with good success, but I noticed that setting the LFO destination to Note doesn’t change pitch, can you guys confirm this? Or maybe with some other synth this could work

thanks

It worked once upon a time in an older OS, but the functionality was removed by HQ for some stability reasons.

there is a workaround… Set up a CTRL8 Machine with a knob assigned to the pitch of the Midi Machine you want to lfo. Now you can point any track’s LFO at the CTRL8 parameter and it should work.

2 Likes

OK, thanks for the explanation and the workaround, I will try it tonight.

1 Like

Although it’s assignable unfortunately I don’t believe it works.

You can refer to the manual; I’m not sure where as I’m not near mine. It definitely says there are some params on the MIDI machines that aren’t affected by LFOs.

1 Like

Damn! Hopefully that doesn’t mean that the MIDI note can’t be parameter changed at all.

Two more options left:

1. Try to control if from an LFO from the OT

2. Use the midi machine to trigger a midi track from the OT to send back to the MDUW.

Thanks for your help

Yeah it’s kinda weird. Seems like LFO’s on the midi machines were sort of left last and then the MachineDrum was abandoned before it was addressed.

Definitely try via midi from an external source.

1 Like

Yep! I got it working! Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

According to http://www.musicbycatabolic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ElektronNextLevel2016.pdf, “A work around is to set the MIDI Note parameter to a knob in a CTRL 8P machine, then get an LFO to modulate that parameter of the CTRL 8P machine.”

BTW a nice thing I noticed while playing with the MID machine last night (new owner) is that you can change the note before pressing the step, and it will automatically P-Lock it, so you can essentially dial a note in, press the step to set that note, dial another note in, press the next step to set that one, etc - rather than entering the steps first then going in and P-Locking them. Makes creating those crazy techno sequences with random notes much quicker :wink:

5 Likes

That’s fantastic to know! Thanks!

1 Like

:thup:

Definitely worth reading through that guide and Tarekith’s (http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_tipsandtricks.htm) if you haven’t already. Loads of good stuff in there. This machine goes deep :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll definitely pit some time aside for that! Thanks!

2 Likes

Reading this feel some sort of silly annoyance with Elektron. People are using their gear years and years after release and their bugs are simply abandoned. I know there’s a bottom line and Elektron has to make a profit - but shit! It would likely take someone less than a few hours to fix something like this. The fact that firmware development has been abandoned makes me cry inside.

Anyways. don’t mean to high-jack the post - I can’t wait to try this with my MD.

4 Likes

I was just thinking about this, and that’s a perfect solution for doing this stuff with minimal boxes! You could have a solid spastic jam with only the A4/MDUW! Thanks for the suggestion! Will try out!

1 Like

Hello,
I already read in this forum that it’s a known bug of MD.
The work around consist in creating a 8pole ctrl, attribute the note parameter to one of the ctrl and then to apply an lfo to this track control
That’s all
Cheers

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we were talking about the same:

What you hear on the MD is processed sound on the mains, synthesis plus modulation, i.e. p-lock. On your midi-out port it appears as a midi note plus a controller stream. The note you send to OT triggers a sample but it isn’t aware of the CC-stream since it has no synthesis as the MD.

MD’s sequencer dosn’t work with midi, it uses ELEKTRON-OS.

Okay, that is a bit scandalous but anyway thank you a lot for help !

(Thank you a lot)

1 Like