Let my Rytm go and go with Syntakt?

The tuning of e.g. DVCO is now 14bit aot 7bit typically

Think pitchbend resolution versus regular CC resolution - there’s 128x more steps (even though those are approximated on screen to decimal)

Typically where the coarse (MSB) is kept in a device sound record there will be the placeholder for the (fine) LSB just in case - that was my recollection on rytm

in any case, there’s probably a lot more to it to factor in, but i don’t think it requires some massive overhaul of how the data is handled internally, but saying that may understate what’s involved - i’d imagine it was on their radar - also for things like delay time you’d think

For the DVCO tuning it’s a game changer as there’s a world of sound in between MSB coarse steps when you’re RingModding/FMing two VCOs

On the flip side, how long has the DT had fine delay adjustment, yet that hasn’t migrated to the Analogs although the snazzy looking envelopes did !?!

The Rytm must not be underestimated imho, the comparison can’t come down to just the availability of a few similar machines - still no doubt that the Syntakt is well spec’d

4 Likes

What i dont understand is that you have to sacrifice an audio track for a midi track in the ST (OT and DT have 8+8 tracks). Also, why no compressor in the ST (like in the DT)

at this point they should really update the Rytm MK2, the inconsistent response curves within different pages is irritating and the „new“ machines have been released like 6 years ago.

it’s similar to the release of Digitakt. they‘ve copied the sample engine of Rytm and their respective parameters to a new form factor and hardware, after ignoring the fact that all of this was Input for a possible Rytm mk 1 Update. people were upset because everyone was asking for some refinement.

i sold my Rytm mk1 for the Digitakt as I was also waiting years for a little bug fix update just to see Elektrons release of the MK2 Rytm which included the new hardware, display, encoders and Sampling capabilities of the Digitakt x12.

now after the release of Syntakt it’s the same situation, the Rytm feels outdated and way overpriced, people will sell it for a Syntakt and Elektron is going to release either a big update or Rytm MK 3.

but throwing in a lot of Rytms essential character and even better controls in this copy cat fashion is a no no

5 Likes

Well it was would be nice to do the launch together with a rytm firmware update. Does anyone even know if elektron is doing an update?

1 Like

Updates have never leaked.

However, going by history, Elektron has been very generous with their updates. Including many surprises and hitherto unthinkable additions (eg MIDI sequencing on the AR, trig conditions and MIDI slices on the OT)

The second LFO, simple envelope and band pass digital filter has been feature requested for the AR since time immemorial. They owe us :wink: (Im joking, btw. Elektron designers are clearly extremely capable talents.)

7 Likes

…there’s still lots of room for improovement and expansion in the syntakt…
and sure, since it marks a new chapter, it will make many other elektron boxes obsolete…

if i had a rytm in use, i would sell it straight away…because it’s flagship hi price days are oooooooooveeeeer for sure…

this elektron product harvests all what once was…elektron 22 has a clean slate…it’s a new company, aware of it’s achievements and traditions, but they defenitly have moved on…
i suggest, we do the same…

i, for my self, have a cycles and one of my heats to get rid of now, since i like my sonic ball park essential and effectively slim…no need for nostalgic moments and ending up with a gear museum…

some gear survives the test of time…most don’t…
and i have the feeling this analog meets digital groovebox will stand the test…
most i’ve ever heard from the rytm was raw rumble low end…
totally uncomparable with any low ends this syntakt is capabable of, right out of the box…

u should not sell a4’s or ot’s for this…but cycles and rytms are free to go…
while more than 3 elektron boxes at once, won’t make any real world sense in most cases anyways…

both takts together are now the new swedish killer combo…
ot is finally beyond timeless…
a4 remains very, very special…

3 Likes

But elektron also left stuff out of the ST in order to not make their other products obsolete. If they want to keep selling rytms then they will have to do something… make it cheaper, or updates

2 Likes

I have a rytm mk2. Bought a Syntakt.
I can never have too many drum machines.

18 Likes

Hey everyone. I’m about to go live on www.youtube.com/adamjaytechnoelectro - Syntakt audio only

in about 5-10 minutes.

I will cover the Rytm machines, the analog VCA envelope used as a pseudo compressor, as well as getting full gnarly sound out of the whole box (showing the different drive capabilities. Seems like there are questions here regarding that so I wanted to mention it here.

I’ll also make a thread for this that can be used as a chat.

2 Likes

The high prices are over? Very much not Sir. First there is Inflation. Elektron have increased their prices over the years and Digi Boxes arriving at 1000bucks doesn‘t mean the big boxes will get cheaper.

Second the rytm is considered as one of the most powerful Drumcomputers of all time. Watch the Tempest. Prices are not dropping either.
There is only the digital stuff that rytm is lacking but many people want full analog drums or samples of analog drums.

Obviously Analog four is still 1400Bucks given that there are analog synths with four voices plus digital like the minilogue xd.

2 Likes

Linndrum?

1 Like

one day mate one day

1 Like

When DT was released, everyone told Elektron, that they need to do something, because it made OT obsolete. A few years later, you see tons of setups with both machines together. People hated the M:S and M:C line, as they were toys and no-one would buy them. Elektron was asked, why they lost all their connected to the old days.
At the end time and sales will tell. People might be frustrated, some are right, others might be wrong, as the ST is on the road for how long? 2 Days? Most of those writing hear didn’t touch it once.
I wonder how you all act on car-forums, where your car lost value the second you bought it, and even the model-update half a year later is mostly way better equipped with features etc, than the one you bought.
The thing is: Analog Rytm, Model:Cycles, Digitone, all of them did not change with the release of the Syntakt. All of them are still capable of everything we all bought them for. Sure, we are good in making gear and missing features responsible for our productive output, but lets be honest, we won’t do worse music with the gear we have, when new gear is released, nor do we make better music, when we jump on the next hype-train whenever it starts rolling.

29 Likes

Well said ofcourse!

Something tells me the Syntakt has no arranger… and I bet it has that digi-style “default patch” on every pattern so you get to do twice as much copying and pasting.

1 Like

Can this be improved in AR within firmware upgrade or it’s controlled by a specific hardware component?

1 Like

You have to choose Audio or Midi on Analog 4 too.

But on the A4 you can have 1 polyphonic, 4 voice track or a 4 voice unison, then have 3 Midi tracks and a CV track to accompany it, so there’s a lot of flexibility.

nothing to do with hardware on those terms, it’s just further division of the signal - they could adopt a higher or lower digitisation of those analog controls - it’s a bit like pixel count on cameras - they all show the same thing, but some capture (or in our case control) more of the info that’s there

2 Likes

Me too :slight_smile:

1 Like

or both … just for the record (just the same sequence track data though)

nothing to stop you parameter locking a different audio track from the underlying trigs though, so they needn’t ‘mirror’

2 Likes