Let my Rytm go and go with Syntakt?

Interesting. Tell me more?

1 Like

If you recorded a straight scale as teh Note/Trig events (i.e. the midi destined data)

thereā€™s nothing stopping you retuning the oscillators or dipping volume etc via parameter locks per step - so the audio diverges from its base point

i.e. creative strategies for not simply mirroring the underlying data 1:1

4 Likes

Out of interest, as a first time buyer of elektron. Is there a difference between scenes and patterns that make people want a song mode? Surely I can just save the patterns I need for a song and be done with it? Then I can just change patterns on the fly?

You can.

However, some people would also like to have the ability to play back a set of patterns in an order that can be stored on the unit, while manipulating other gear or instruments.

Also, earlier Elektron instruments had more advanced song/arranger modes that allow finer control over which steps in a pattern play.

And song mode doesnā€™t just mean simple playback; there is also the ability to jump in and out of song mode to improvise within a song structure.

8 Likes

I only used the Song Mode on the Octatrack up to now, and besides defining per row, what Pattern plays for how long with what tempo, you are able to mute an unmute tracks. That way you can have the intro, that introduces one instrument after another in one pattern and just mute in and out, what you want to play. I use that all the time, as I am very bad in remembering the song structure I want, what comes next, what I want to modulate/change AND count how often I want to play a pattern. Having the pure structure out of my head, I can focus on the more ā€œmusicalā€ side of turning knobs, pressing FILL buttons etc. on the Device and/or external Hardware.

7 Likes

same

1 Like

Funny now the ST is out and because it doesnā€™t at new color to my sound palette I got more interested in Fors plug-ins plus a Electra One midi controller.

I sold the OT a long time ago and find sound design more useful with the Radium sampler. So itā€™s already very tactile now combined with the Akai mpk mini mk3.

Bottomline for me itā€™s keeping the AR and getting Fors plus Electra One :space_invader:

Electra One is awesome!

1 Like

For me a more important thing than the song arrangement is the ability to have multiple patterns share the same sounds (ā€œkitsā€). While kits have caused plenty of confusion and lost music on the old boxes (e.g. editing a kit you didnā€™t realise was shared and ruining the old pattern), theyā€™re also very powerful.

Without kits, you have to manually keep sounds in sync across patterns if you want to structure a song from more than one pattern, and if you switch pattern you lose any sound tweaks you made. Sometimes this is desirable but for my kind of music (hypnotic techno) Iā€™d generally want to tweak the sounds and have the tweaked sound persist when I change pattern.

Anyway, I get why theyā€™d get rid of kits to simplify things but Iā€™d love to have the option to opt in to them on certain patterns. I might have a workaround brewing thoughā€¦ :eyes:

2 Likes

i just did it and got rid of him for a fair price.

@Uija
Well written!
When Rolandā€™s SP-404 MK2 was released people went crazy. Meanwhile Roland must have sold thousands of units (and still one has to wait a considerable time to get one) but where are the thousands of new, good songs with breaking new compositions?

So as I mentioned analogously in a different thread: Itā€™s allways the musician not the gear that makes great music.

Nevertheless to all buyers of the ST: Congratulations, make great music and let us enjoy it! Donā€™t put it to your collection in the cupboard, only. :wink:

2 Likes

Adam Jay :wink: I discovered your old records in my box a few days ago, still a timeless sound. cool to see you here.

4 Likes

Yup, never thought about it like that. Thatā€™s a very creative use of midi + osc tuning.

1 Like

OK - THATS whatā€™s been bugging me about the Syntakt that I couldnā€™t put my finger on.

It doesnā€™t add any new colour. Itā€™s existing sounds from existing machines combined into a different unit.

Itā€™s totally a great machine, but I was like, hmmm why donā€™t I want it? Like, at all?

Itā€™s totally got me considering the Rytm tho, even though I have a Model Samplesā€¦

ā€¦i heard quite some new flavours, colours and especially overall warmth, gluing and breathing interactionā€¦
ā€¦to get the same results, u needed quite some more stuff to get there before st came alongā€¦
aaaand never underestimate the advantages of a small footprint and the all in one box effectā€¦

while. iā€™m totally convinced, that the st will see more machines sooner than later to comeā€¦
and no matter how plastic cheap they might come alongā€¦u can always drive them analogā€¦
thatā€™s half the secret of all heat magicā€¦
they can sell this box for years and years to comeā€¦

and if the swedish built quality persists, this little box will be the timeless analog meets digital way beyond all boom bap dotz dotz grooveboxā€¦kind of foreverā€¦
no one can reinvent the wheelā€¦
and no one needs more grooveboxā€¦
so all who want truu new sonic tools and inventions should be happy about the stā€¦
since elektron simply just canā€™t do another groovebox nowā€¦st is kind of a final statementā€¦

and, err, rytm and a4 wonā€™t see many next new production batchesā€¦iā€™m afraidā€¦
they soon will hear their last callā€¦same as mnm a few years backā€¦once out of stock one last time, theyā€™ll be gone foreverā€¦

5 Likes

That seems a bit exaggerated

6 Likes

I donā€™t see Elektron stopping production of the Analogs yet at all. They are still very competent and advanced devices. AR may not be the best drum synth but for live performance is an absolute beast for instance.

2 Likes

ā€¦well, so is the stā€¦

There is no reason to stop its production. Itā€™s a deal if considering the price of a DT+ST.

yea they could easily have a life span as long as OT, which is still ongoing.

canā€™t wait to see what future flagships they have in store, but ar & A4 are still beasts.

3 Likes