Let my Rytm go and go with Syntakt?

Agreed the more products come out/get updated the closer it gets to your turn in line. Or alternatively the closer we get to a mk3 :pl:
I reckon there’s more in the mk2 it’s their big boy box and it’s not been updated in a while

2 Likes

Probably a good thread to write this, since it´s very similar to OPs problem:
I got a DN and not that big of a setup, so I really want to get a drum machine next. The AR always was my first choice, but now the ST came along and confused me.

However I still think the AR would be the better choice since together with the DN and sampling it offers deeper possibilities sound design wise… not entirely sure though.

1 Like

well if I did not have an octatrack AE, then I’d think differently (but the OT covers samples).

What the AR still does have in favour of the ST, is:

1. the fact that you can use samples for drums (also together with the analog machine), and save all the sounds in kits that you can use accross patterns
  2. compressor
  3. pads/scenes/performances
  4. individual outs

perhaps things like a second LFO and improvements to the machines / dual vco can be implemented in a firmware update (and i was hoping for a volume control of the external inputs, but that hope seems in vain)

5 Likes

Funny enough I was tracking the local (Berlin) second hand market for Digitones for a bit and there were a few for sale at around 500€ give or take until the Syntakt release…this morning I checked and not a single Digitone left :joy:

Go figure :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeh, audio out options

The individual outs on the Rym are a big plus

The compressor is good and in my opinion is superior to just the few analog voices of the ST

Let us know when you ll get it

6 Likes

The 16 trig in one line is not to be sniffed at. Two rows of 8 is annoying if you have ocd😉

16 Likes

100%

On the rythm if you load perfectly looped sample which sound like multiple oscillator ( I don’t speak about single cycle, but idea behind is the same ). You can change it to a good mono synth, because filter and overdrive are really good on the rythm.

The rythm sound is darker than the ST from what I hear so far. Maybe pick a model cycle if you want other kind of drum.

2 Likes

Post Syntakt launch, I’m more seriously considering adding an Analog Rytm MkII. The sound shaping and sampling options are great, as are the performance options

I wouldn’t wait for Elektron to fix the Dual-VCO on the Rytm. If it was possible to have them stable, they would have done so (at least over the years). that lets me think, that the Analog circuit on the ST is not the same as on the Rytm. maybe they use a more stable oscillator as they know, they need to make it stable during designing it vs. adding it later on the Rytm. Maybe they added additional stuff to the board to make it stable, that the Rytm does not have. I think it is the same with the precision of parameters on Rytm vs. ST, maybe it’s less precise ADCs on the Rotaries, or different ones on the Rytm, then on the newer Digi-Devices?!

5 Likes

Too big, didn’t love the envelopes, not massively into the whole kits thing, too many machines I wasn’t going to need/use.

2 Likes

This + missing melodic engines besides dvco

I wouldn’t either.

@avantronica mentioned something about higher resolution/bits (??) in the ST. Wonder if it’s possible for the mkII…I thought it was more current in that regard.

Still love that synth, though, warts aside.

1 Like

Rytm is easy to acquire if you wish to repurchase

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m really looking forward to playing with those.

I loved the tone engine on my M:C, can’t wait to throw it through a proper filter and envelope (and two LFOs!).

3 Likes

In Spain is happening the other way around, lots of Digitones and Digitakts are ready to sell second hand after Syntakt released :)… Let see how it goes, but I wouldn’t sell my Digitone :wink: and I rather waiting till testing the Syntakt to make a purchase decision.

4 Likes

Keeping my Rytm MkI.

Now is not a good time to sell a Rytm anyway.

Once the Syntakt arrives and I‘ve had time to check it out, one of them might go, but not necessarily.

5 Likes

I thought briefly about selling my mk2 Rytm for a Syntakt but I don’t think I will. The main reasons are:
– Performance features
– I like the analog machines that aren’t on the Syntakt
– Individual outs
– Sampling! It’s so easy to layer samples & analog drums and then glue it together with overdrive. This might be the most underrated feature on AR. It’s like you get a Digitakt for free!
– I know it’s controversial but I really like the compressor.

14 Likes

I told myself after years of hoarding stuff that I’m only going to allow myself 3 machines at any one time. I’ve currently got an AR, OT and DN and have the Syntakt on the way.

Obviously the OT isn’t going anywhere, so when the ST arrives I’m going to decide whether to get rid of the AR or the DN. My dream situation is to be able to squeeze the synthesis I want out of the ST (I don’t want to sell my Rytm as I absolutely love it) and to sell the DN. The tracks and demos I heard seem to suggest that it’s quite a capable synth for melodic stuff and sound design, and I’ve heard the VCO is much more stable than the Rytm one.

However, if I find I like the ST and it covers the drums I need, I may part with the AR and DN and just end up buying an A4.

Or I may just offload the ST if I find it just doesn’t fit the bill, alongside my DN, and get an A4 for my synthesis needs.

In conclusion, keep an eye out on the marketplace :joy:

3 Likes