Korg Wavestate

It could be TAL-Sampler made flesh with a bit of sample prep, but also a Wavestation, but also New Synth. I may be lost to the siren’s call.

4 Likes

If it doesn’t accept a fell down the back of the fridge format, you always can convert that to some format it does accept.

4 Likes

BUT IT WOULDN’T BE THE SAME

[slams bedroom door]

[cries into pillow]

I mean, there are artifacts and such, to consider. Sometimes it’s nice to get a bit of character pre-filter, and only use up 17k of sample memory.

I’ve baked in the loop points.

5 Likes

If the bit depth is different you just pad the low order bits with zeros or FFs or there’s a trick where you just repeat the top in the bottom. A little trickier is a different sample rate, but if it’s an even multiple you just repeat the sample twice or whatever. It will sound pretty much the same, at least for the sound generated part. That doesn’t account for other artifacts that might have been in an old system.

There’s some wrinkles to this. The thing you can’t do easily is making lo-fi samples sound hi-fidelity.

1 Like

PluginGuru just did a really nice and thorough review and explanation of the new Editor for Wavestate (he also did some of the original sounds in the Wavestate and Wavestation):

1 Like

Here’s a demo of the Wavestate sequencing some Richard Devine samples. Really enjoying this update so far.

All I’m doing is playing one note wave sequencing does the rest.

5 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

This is the kind of functionality I bought my Digitakt for, being able to load a bunch of weird samples and randomize them. Looking forward to applying this to my Wavestate!

3 Likes

I was THIS close to picking up one of these, then a JD-990 (my holy grail) popped up reasonably priced… already had the Vintage Synth board for it and couldn’t resist.

Definitely see a Wavestate in my future though, and can’t wait to see what other ‘Nauts do with the 2.0 update :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha ha, for the past year and a half, I said the Wavestate seems like the perfect fit for me, but with the only window into the sample selection and big picture being that tiny screen and encoder, and with no facility for user samples (unlike the Kronos wavesequencing), and some other deal-breakers (for me), I said I wouldn’t buy one until they fixed all of those aspects. Dan Phillips (on another forum) said that they were doing that, and I said okay great, sure.

Welp, as of the 2.0 update, it seems like all of my outstanding issues (personal deal-breakers) with the Wavestate finally have been resolved*. Dan wasn’t kidding!

Anyway, I wasn’t kidding either, and things happened quickly, and I’m really enjoying my initial impressions of the Wavestate so far. This evening I’ll see whether the editor and updater get along with Windows 10 1607. I think Microsoft and Korg got on the same page recently (so that I could probably use the current Windows version), but I’ll try the 1607 laptop first.

Thanks, Wavestate team!

• I also wanted MPE, but that was never even implied to be on any to-do list, and it wasn’t a deal-breaker for me, but rather a “nice to have” item. Each of the 4 parts being addressable on a separate MIDI channel is good enough for my experimenting right now. I still hope Korg embraces MPE support in the future. You can already do it manually on a Korg synth that has Combis whose Programs can each receive on their own MIDI channel. Since one of its 3.x updates, Kronos allows you to edit Programs from within the Combi, which is another step closer to full MPE support. It’s getting there, step by step.
2 Likes

Same. I’d been using my Kronos for wave sequencing, but found it cumbersome and very limited (all parameters same length and same sequence). So, when the Wavestate was announced, giving the capacity to have a bunch of different “lanes” for the same sequence or patch, I jumped on it, only to find the tiny screen a real hindrance, especially for simple things like naming and saving my own presets and seeing the mod matrix. Korg could learn a few things from Elektron about making naming and saving presets and visual representation of modulations on a small screen. I had been thinking of selling the Wavestate, but it is so cool and the potential for what it can do is so huge, I didn’t want to. Like you, Dan Phillips, who head’s Korg’s team for the Wavestate said over at Gearspace that they were working on an Editor, I decided to wait. So glad I did. I don’t really care that much about adding my own user sample sine the original Wavestate came with a ridiculously huge number and variety of really good samples, but I can’t say I hate that they added this (and I don’t remember Dan even hinting that they were working on this). Anyway, I can’t wait to get back to my Wavestate and give it a try (out of town for the next week). As far as bang for the buck goes, at the top of the list right now are the MPC One and the Korg Wavestate. Amazing tech, especially for the price.

1 Like

OMFG this thing is cool. Here’s audio of my first jam with the Wavestate. The preset was Endless Horizon Sadness, I think (hey, I just got the thing, so I’m not starting from init just yet). I forgot to mess with the fx, so none of the textural changes are caused by fx twiddling.

8 Likes

Has anyone heard any updated news regarding the SE release date?

Wondering if Wavestate can sequence external synth? Polyphonicaly? 4 Parts?

Is it a good idea to get it as “sequencer” and “controller” for Waldorf M (and of course use its amazing sound engine as well )?

It can be used as a MIDI keyboard, that’s about it for controlling externals. It’s not a particularly good keyboard either. Wave sequencing is very interesting, but it’s internal-only.

1 Like

I see… ok! Need to read more about its sequencer (I thought it can sequence polyphonically + automation, but seems it works differently ).

Yes, Wavestate is super interesting, especially with new sample support!
Still find the sound a bit “soft” and “blurry”, a bit cheesy “new age” kind of thing, but it depends of course on sound design.

Who said to can be too much synths ? : )

I have a Wavestate, there are many things about it that I like and some that I don’t.
Wave sequencing is very powerful and interesting; but it has its own character, it’s very different to eg. Elektron sequencer.
I actually really like the sound of it; very crisp and hi-fi, spacious. A lot of great samples on-board. A mountain of modulation options.
What I don’t like is that it doesn’t work like an Elektron sequencer where you can turn one track on, mute and unmute others, etc. You kind of can, but only in a messy way. The way it’s designed, you can create eg. a drum pattern, but it’s really hard to integrate it with other gear. What works better in my experience is to use the wave sequencing as a super-powerful modulation source and play it like a synth. But when I do that, I wish it had a better (longer, aftertouch-sensitive) keyboard.

3 Likes

Love my Wavestate. It is much easier to use and program than my old Wavestation SR. A lot of people complain about the lack of aftertouch but for the price you cannot really expect it. I don’t use the sequencer, opting to use the Keystep Pro instead. But programming wave sequences on it is really easy.

1 Like

If you want Aftertouch, you have to be willing to spend $150 … less than a Wavestate?

Hopefully ASM’s aggressive pricing will drive Korg to release OPSIX / Wavestate / Modwave desktop units.

2 Likes

… drives Korg to improve their keyboards.

4 Likes