Korg Wavestate

69%

5 Likes

If you have access to a saw it is basically already a desktop module.

:loopy:

4 Likes

This is exactly the question i’ve been asking myself. That’s why i made that image, this is what i really want, but didn’t have the balls to ask the question on the thread. Good on you rainbouu, and ignore any of the razing.

I’m right in line with PeterHanes on this, likely but not for a while. That’s pretty much what Korg did with the Minilogue. What’s past is prologue. (See, Shakespeare knew.)

On the other hand you could look at a much smaller company, Modal – which practically before the solder had cooled on their 37 Key Argon8 added a 61 key version and a cute liddle module, the Argon8M. (I like that thing!)

So i want the Korg Wavesnake so bad – character flaws and too-much-money – that i’m between just buying what is and using it, with the vague thought of selling it off when/if the module comes to be. What would that cost – $150 maybe you’d have to discount it in a year to sell it – so that’s $12 a month rent.

Or maybe i’d get the Nord Wave 2 instead – not exactly the same thing but there’s an overlap. But that’s got to be a lot more expensive. And maybe they’ll have a module of that, Nord’s done that before too.

At least they’re not mini keys! That was a total killer for me on the Minilogue.

5 Likes

You seem to be expressing my exact same dilemma… however a potential delay for if or when the module appears helps me to keep the promise to myself of no new synths/fx in 2020…

2 Likes

I feel you Jukka. Desktop module versions are rad but the few modules I have, I constantly wish had keys. I love just walking around my little studio space playing whichever board I feel like in the moment, all the different keybeds and how different they feel, playing two or three keyboards at a time in a stack, hands moving up and down between synths on different levels… it’s just so much more visceral than changing MIDI channels on my master controller and hearing different sounds.

I 100% understand the appeal of a module though and would LOVE to see a Wavestate A/D in 19" rack format!!!

2 Likes

News!!!

This is a good video.

At around 7:15 in Kwas says there are a couple of gigabytes of EMPTY storage inside!
He can’t rule out that there will be user access to sample storage in the future. Later he says there will hopefully be user loaded samples – with Nick Batt shining a bright light in his face. Shows are always good for getting some candid responses.

7 Likes

damn that is promising! on the record they said not to expect user waves but I can’t see them adding a couple GB of storage and not having that on the roadmap.

also lol at

Wavesnake

1 Like

Translated: “user samples aren’t ready yet and we wanted to get it out. Weve been around elektronauts enough to know not to make promises or even slightly allude to something.”

7 Likes

Haha exactly.

1 Like

Thinking about how others have handled this issue.

The Sequential Prophet X arrived with no user samples and just the one very nice library from 8Dio, but from the start they promised to have user samples later – i remember it being like 6 months. I think it had something to do with the fact that the software tool for doing samples was rather much roughed in for or by 8Dio.

Nord on the other hand is touting their “Nord Sample Editor 3” for their new Wave 2 as making it “incredibly easy to create your own samples.” It does things like recognize that there are a series of similar samples in audio file and detects the pitches of separate parts and matches those into a multi-part sample. They also have more free libraries ready for download. That editor is ready from the get-go, but is something Nord has had around and have been working on.

Korg certainly has the team that could do a great sample editor when they get the motivation.

2 Likes

For sure. I hope I didn’t come off as complaining. I think it’s a wise position to take.

2 Likes

I was always fascinated by the Wavestation, and this landing, but the demos with the weird rhythmic patches put me off.

Synthmania’s demo somewhat improved my opinion, with the patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5i_1G0ph7s

3 Likes

I’ve liked almost every demo I’ve heard, and it’s not because of the sounds. It’s because you can tell what kind of monster this is going to be on the level of sequencing waves/drums.

Forget all of these preset sounds. Just imagine pushing the bit rate to the limit on any of the built-in waves, then slashing what you get into shreds with the decimator.

This synth will be a industrial noise maker’s dream.

2 Likes

Very nice demo by Synthmania.

Seems like when people are saying “too much menu-diving”, “hard to program”, etc. they’re really just talking about making your own wave sequence from scratch.

Tweaking settings for filter, envelopes, FX, LFO look straightforward enough based on Cuckoo’s video. Turn filter cutoff knob, see value on screen - what menu diving is there for that?

1 Like

Korg’s downloads page for Wavestate includes this Github link. No explanation what it’s for, other than the phrase “Open Source”

1 Like

So far, looks like it’s mostly a listing of the third-part OSS components they used as part of their firmware, and/or for building it.

Sounds only. Not sure who’s hands these are but i don’t think they’re way beyond average player – so i’d expect to be able to do this, more-or-less, just walking up to a WS.

3 Likes

I find that multitimbral layering like this can be really great with even simple and subtle applications, like adding interesting harmonics or textures on top of a filtered sound without those extra details having to be affected by a filter, or being able to filter them independently.

1 Like

Me too! A Wavestation EX – I never found it so hard to program, but it was literally the only thing I knew. I can’t wait to get this.

3 Likes

I like how he frequently works the filters - they sound pretty good to me.