Korg Wavestate

Started on MkII and except for the usual greenhorn confusions about how to sample I never felt lost. Tbh, I never even felt I was “menu diving” with OT. I mean, save for project menus which don’t really count on this regard, and the arranger, when are you ever more than one screen deep?

Edit: full disclosure, though, my first hardware synth was a blofeld so, one could say I was inoculated early haha

1 Like

I feel the same fwiw.

Gonna sample the hell out of Wavestate into Octatrack.

And also mess w/ Octatrack MIDI CC modulating Wavestate.

2 Likes

Seems like a perfect match tbh.

Jungle pad machine this!

1 Like

Yes. I’ve heard enough whining, j/k. I preordered from Sweetwater. 24- month interest free? C’mon. That’s too easy. An aside: The Korg Legacy M1/Wavestation VST was the first piece of software I purchased back in 2003 before I knew what an amp envelope was.

I didn’t even know the real “legacy” of these synths and their history in modern music production. I love how you can change each sample per step to make crazy tweaked out sequences or long, constantly evolving pads. The software made these impenetrable machines simpler. This hardware actually makes up for the other aspects, esp. separating pitch, time, etc. Modern classic?! Maybe I should buy 2 and keep one in the box?! Now other manufacturers have to step it up!

1 Like

$675 ??? Speculation based on the Minilogue XD progression.

5 Likes

I would definitely consider that, especially if the wheels became latchable performance sliders (like the AS-1)…

1 Like

I was immediately interested and the Cuckoo video sold me on it. I’ve always had a love/hate thing for the Wavestation (love the sounds and joystick, hate the UI on both the hardware and the VST) and this feels like it takes everything I love about the original and fixes the things I hate. I love the Monologue’s sequencer and the Wavestate’s sequencer is that pushed up to 11.

It’s been a long time since I’ve spent this much on a keyboard but I can’t wait.

5 Likes

Jup, that turned me off too. The Roland Jupiter Xm has the similar problem.

I actually started feeling physically ill during Cuckoo’s video–the combination of his gentle voice and all the menu-diving gave me a huge migraine…

I’m sure it sounds great, and those people with enough fortitude will undoubtedly get a lot out of it. But unless you love scrolling a cursor through tiny screens, it’s basically a fancy arranger keyboard.

1 Like

The only things that would be better than this for this type of sound and footprint would be if Kurzweil did similar with VAST, or if Yamaha did similar with their SY series.

Korg is ahead of the curve.

That would work for me… fingers crossed.

2 Likes

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the likelihood of a desktop module and when would they potentially release it?? :thinking:

1 Like

80 %
12 months after the keyboard version

5 Likes

69%

5 Likes

If you have access to a saw it is basically already a desktop module.

:loopy:

4 Likes

This is exactly the question i’ve been asking myself. That’s why i made that image, this is what i really want, but didn’t have the balls to ask the question on the thread. Good on you rainbouu, and ignore any of the razing.

I’m right in line with PeterHanes on this, likely but not for a while. That’s pretty much what Korg did with the Minilogue. What’s past is prologue. (See, Shakespeare knew.)

On the other hand you could look at a much smaller company, Modal – which practically before the solder had cooled on their 37 Key Argon8 added a 61 key version and a cute liddle module, the Argon8M. (I like that thing!)

So i want the Korg Wavesnake so bad – character flaws and too-much-money – that i’m between just buying what is and using it, with the vague thought of selling it off when/if the module comes to be. What would that cost – $150 maybe you’d have to discount it in a year to sell it – so that’s $12 a month rent.

Or maybe i’d get the Nord Wave 2 instead – not exactly the same thing but there’s an overlap. But that’s got to be a lot more expensive. And maybe they’ll have a module of that, Nord’s done that before too.

At least they’re not mini keys! That was a total killer for me on the Minilogue.

5 Likes

You seem to be expressing my exact same dilemma… however a potential delay for if or when the module appears helps me to keep the promise to myself of no new synths/fx in 2020…

2 Likes

I feel you Jukka. Desktop module versions are rad but the few modules I have, I constantly wish had keys. I love just walking around my little studio space playing whichever board I feel like in the moment, all the different keybeds and how different they feel, playing two or three keyboards at a time in a stack, hands moving up and down between synths on different levels… it’s just so much more visceral than changing MIDI channels on my master controller and hearing different sounds.

I 100% understand the appeal of a module though and would LOVE to see a Wavestate A/D in 19" rack format!!!

2 Likes

News!!!

This is a good video.

At around 7:15 in Kwas says there are a couple of gigabytes of EMPTY storage inside!
He can’t rule out that there will be user access to sample storage in the future. Later he says there will hopefully be user loaded samples – with Nick Batt shining a bright light in his face. Shows are always good for getting some candid responses.

7 Likes