Korg Volca Modular

If you scroll Up, Look at the Post of darenger. He sells a little Mixer that you can use to interconnect both.

Thanks pulsn, much appreciated :slight_smile:

@darenager - will this work with Hz/Volt as used by the MS-20 Mini?

It won’t convert Hz/V to V/oct but it can be used to attenuate either, it won’t be possible to get accurate tracking from the MS20 to Volca modular without a converter such as English Tear or Disting or similar.

4 Likes

Do you still sell the Midi in kits for the Volca modular?

@BoBSwanS yes I still have a few https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/micro.tech

2 Likes

Thanks very much

i do not see the midi in kits for the volca mod

@an3 just went out of stock, I will have another 1 or 2 in a week or so.

1 Like

do u have a mailing list for it ?

Hi Darenager

Wait you mean that on the Volca Modular you can, as for the Volca Drum, select one step and parameter lock knobs values on this only one step ?

Thanks for the info !

The way I handle non Hz/V rigs is to use the USB on the MS-20Kit to a Kenton USB2MIDI, this then feeds a CV OCD, with Gate and V/Oct.

Normally I just run midi gear this way, (sans CV OCD) but I have 3 CV OCDs, and I find then
a handy utility, just like the Mutant Brain that Eurorack users can buy.

The first synth I intent to test my Volca Modular in is the Vermona 14, as it comes with outputs for V/Octave, Gate. pitch wheel, and mod wheel CVs.

There is a tuning PDF on Korg that would show me how to tune up the CVs on the
Volca Modular.

So it does not transmit the animated cc, even if the sequencer is going?

One thing I have to try is this when my Modular arrives.
It scales down the CV down to some unknown scale for internal use down from
5V to 3.3V.

The Korg Monotribe, with the VCO mute mod, and VCF external CV has a tracking
on the self-oscillating filter somewhere around .5V per Octave.

Would it be possible if the output from the NOTE output would scale the self-oscillating filter in a chromatic way that it can track the keyboard?

Experiments will find out either YES or NO!

Does anyone care about the Volca Modular anymore? I’ve never considered buying one before, but I found a few videos that make me do a double take. Maybe it’s not that great for techno but it seems pretty decent as a Terry Riley or Suzanne Ciani machine.

5 Likes

I´ve modded a volca modular with midi in for a friend. Maybe, I´ll release a diy mod kit

6 Likes

i would love to see a new Series where everything is patched out with inspiration from soma synths

if they‘d released the Sample v2 with patchpoints like the modular it would have been a huge success I guess.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I bought one about a month ago and I have to say it’s very inspiring. I control it via sync in and use it a lot for ambient sounds. It is exciting and a different approach, as no presets can be saved. I have to write down the patch points on a piece of paper.

2 Likes

That’s a sweet mod. I’d buy a VM in a heartbeat if I knew I could affectively sequence it from my Octatrack. I’m curious though, is there any benefit to this as opposed to just using a cv to midi converter?

1 Like

What are you using to sequence it? I was thinking of using my Octatrack for that, and then sampling any patches that I make with the VM back into the Octatrack. Seems like an ideal pairing for experimental ambient music.