Korg Volca Drum

I was about to ask this question before buying.
I plan to sequence it externally only with a DAW and I was wondering if I could save the equivalent of a “kit” by storing CC values.
So, are there sound parameters that can’t you access with MIDI ? (I’ve looked into the MIDI chart but I don’t know the machine enough).
From what I get, there are two MIDI modes :

• a single channel one with restricted parameter access
  • a 6-channel mode with complete parameter access (but less easy to use with Ableton Live cause it will need 6 MIDI tracks).
    Am i right ?

Unless I’ve missed something, all the sound parameters are available via CC if you use the 6-channel mode. You won’t get the same resolution as interacting directly on the synth but its still usable for sure. Sequencer operations are not available (e.g. you can’t step jump or set active track steps).

That being said, if you are trying to fully save & automate via your laptop, why not get a vst? TBH I wish the Volca Drum ran the full microtonic engine, the sound out of that is so excellent. The volca is fun and usable but I think there are better sounding choices if you aren’t looking for portable hardware.

1 Like

With MIDI in, can you control pitch per voice via CC?
I was doing that from the DT with a friend’s NordDrum, using it for bass sounds, and it was ace.

For Max for Live users: funhttps://github.com/mugenkidou/volca_drum

Been using it mapped and sequenced with a Push 2 and it definitely opens the Vdrum further.

8 Likes

You can, kinda, if you use FL Studio, I’ve posted a project file that controls most of the parameters. FL Studio 20 at least, sends an “init” midi message to the VD so wherever you have your knobs set for their values for mod, env type, decay, etc. is where they will end up if you are sending midi from the DAW. In my file above I only created the 6 channels and the two layers each (+ automation tracks) but you could easily duplicate that 16 times and collapse each “kit” that is not in use. Saving the project file will save the kits and restore them.

This is theoretical of course I have not tried it but one little thing that I did discover is that from the midi generator, if you pick a General Midi “instrument” like 1 - 16 for example, you end up controlling THAT channel on THAT kit. So if you duplicate the 6 tracks and use a different GM instrument for each group of 6 sounds, you could create up to 16 kits and load them back as soon as the project file is loaded.

Since you cannot dump sysex, in or out, you cant just dump the sounds already created unfortunately. The other down side is that you MUST create the sounds from the DAW. Its not awful but sometimes you just want to twiddle knobs. You can still go in and match parameters from the box into the daw though which I plan to do with at least one of my kits.

Controlling this from the DT is another matter. You have 8 pots and that is just absolutely not enough to recreate a sound from scratch and then have it stored along with your project.

All THAT being said, its dead fun and one of the most inspiring instruments outside of the DT that I’ve ever played with in my life. I’m actually trying to work with CremaCafe to create a front plate template for the VD. It may or may not work out so don’t hold your breath on it or anything. If you own one and want a front plate / skin, reach out to them, they are extremely friendly and genuinely want to produce quality products for sound geeks like us :smile: I plan on getting a plate for the DT as soon as they get back from maternity leave. Just need a fitting theme for my alias / moniker (and figure out an alias / moniker :joy:)

1 Like

It looks like the Volca Drum will respond to some sysex messages, I asked this fellow hacking on the firmwares about it after they posted about volca sample sysex. See comments in this reddit topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/volcas/comments/a9emnb/how_to_export_and_import_patterns_over_midi_with/

I haven’t tested the sysex myself but it is on my list. I have my Volca Drum wired with a midi out, maybe I’ll finally poke around at the possible commands this weekend.

3 Likes

oooof!.. could you elaborate? I’d be very keen on having the sequencer tricks send to other devices
many thanks

Oh now that is absolutely awesome! Keep us in the loop as to how your explorations go!

1 Like

Setting it up is the same as the other Volca midi mods, I hooked mine up to a 1/8" TRS.

I honestly haven’t used it much, I mostly wired it up to get clock out. I think there was some discussion earlier in the thread about what gets sent sequencer wise. I’m pretty sure notes send for all channels but Knob CCs only send if you are actively turning the knob (you can’t use motion sequencing to control an external synth)

4 Likes

thank you, I’ll sift through this thread - very exciting!
cheers

1 Like

My demo-improvisation after getting into its basics, sorry for Sound, tried to keep it clean despite its from Phone, cos im currently without any pc or notebook

2 Likes

Exciting news for Volca Drum owners!

Creator of the Synthmata Volca FM patch editor, Oscillatorsink, has created a web-based patch editor for the Volca Drum. No more need to endlessly spin a knob to select a certain SRC/MOD/EG combination.

Even better, if you use the editor exclusively to build patches, they can be saved to share with others or recall at a later time!

8 Likes

I just shot a bunch of video with the Volca Drum today, I am ALL ABOUT that machine. I intend to process and sample it for the most part, but I’m also considering folding it into my live rig. The sound design capabilities are just bonkers.

7 Likes

I had fun but the Volca format isnt for me. I would prefer bigger enclosure with proper knobs, something like ER1 mk3.

Let us know if you put those vids up, would love to hear it.

Will do! I used it with a pedal that’s not out yet, so I’m not sure when we’re starting the Promo Train.

1 Like

I won’t tell anybody :slight_smile:

Mwuhahahahahaha
I can’t even tell you (yet) who would ring my neck if I played dirty on this one!

2 Likes

Me too! Bonkers in a good way! With the Nord Drum 4 never coming out and no other device I know of tackling this kind of stuff except the KVD at the moment, there is definitely a market for this kind of device. I would gladly drop 500$ on an Elektron version of the KVD with filters and envelopes and more waveforms and LFOs and such in Digitakt format. Sure sure sure. You CAN do similar things on almost all the other Elektron devices, but the focus on 2 layers and geared at percussion… come on! Gimme gimme!

1 Like

After using my Volca Drum a fair bit and enjoying the process, I’m still unsure how much I’ll use it as a part of my live rig. Its not good for live tweaking with its various subscreens, and I’m pondering just using my iPhone 6s+ instead. Elastic Drum on its own has a lot of the same power + sampling.

Edit: I think I’ll hold onto it for times when I use other apps on my phone, also to try to push it more into synth territory. Would be awesome to get chromatic playback going via midi.

Edit 2: Nvm I love it again, tho the lack of a VCF limits how deep I can take it.