Korg Volca Drum

Just wanted to chime in here again on my recent setup experiences with the KVD. I am only working with a few machines at a time. One setup is to use the DT for sequencing the KVD (why the DT and not the DN for sequencing since they both have a sequencer? because of the KVD’s split mode - need to burn 6 midi channels) and then running the input into the DN. With a smidge of OD, about 6 - 10 and reverb set to about 8-10 it sounds soooo :fire: !!!

The volume of what you push through the OD on the DN really matters. Pushing a really hot signal and you’re going to Overdrive really hard and you may want that. Me, I like the subtle fattening of the kick drums and the slight “hair” it gives to everything going through.

The DT and DN reverb really is good. It’s not a feature just tacked on as an extra selling point. The KVD has a solid presence and it gives a bit more life to the sounds when that tiny smidge of reverb is applied.

Even very very subtle applications of these effects, if you do an A - B comparison, is very surprising.

Oh, the frickin icing… running it through the DN vs the DT (full stereo!) you get to play with p-locks for fun fun dun… panning! Have fun!

3 Likes

I picked one of these up this past weekend, my second Volca and I love it. Kinda tired of analog drum machines, and analog stuff in general, tbh. This thing tickles my fancy and was something I wanted for a while. Mostly plan on using it to make percussion beds and such to sample into my MPC and/or Octatrack, and even just paired with my Volca Sample they’re pretty fun together. Too bad I had the Sample already, I’d be tempted to pick up a FM just to get the free Mix :joy:

1 Like

Hey all!

Here’s that freakout with the Volca Drum I mentioned earlier. I don’t do a whole lot of tweaking, but man, I love the sound of processed drum machines!!

8 Likes

Just impulse bought one of these on ebay. First thing I tried with it was a 606 kit :smiley:

9 Likes

I tried to sample the Volca drum into elastic drums to trigger via mpc style pads as an overlay for volca drum, using elastic drum stutter effects etc but it clips. Researched phasing on samples and positive/negative nodes but I think the zap sound were coming from the volca drum originally. At the mo I have a decent clap to overlay from Elastic drums.

Ideally it would be good to easily sample any volca drum beat as it can add more to a pattern or existing pattern.

I don’t think it sounds tinny at all, but I do agree that it could use some global saturation or overdrive to mash things up a bit. I think I’m gonna try running it through my eurorack setup, or some OT compressor/distortion settings…

That’s amazing. I think I vaguely recall you posting on some FriendFace group I’m on about maybe a doing a tutorial or making the patches available… I can’t remember exactly as I was in a rush and didn’t read properly. However, if that wasn’t me misremembering and you are thinking about it then I’d just like to add a big double thumbs up for that idea!!!

1 Like

Yeah, it seems to take very well to distortion for some reason, more so than any other drumbox I’ve used – I’ve been beefing mine up with the A4 filters and an old Boss mixer and it really starts hitting hard.

1 Like

Is it a good machine on its own.
But the MIDI Channel Configuration+Midi CC is completly wrong.

I just can set it to the first 6 Channels. I don’t know what the hell the CC’s are doing.
Anyone got that right?

Last Update installed.

What do you mean? Are you using the ‘split’ or ‘single’ channel configuration?

The CC assignments are listed in the two (‘split’ and ‘single’) MIDI implementation charts that can be downloaded from Korg’s website. Have you enabled the global parameter “MIDI Rx ShortMessage”?

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I don’t have it here right now.

Split is using Channel 1-6. Single is confusing because its using every Channel I think.

The CC mainly just control the Release.
The Midi Implentation is completly mad.

I have got it that way, OS says 1111 May I think, perhaps I have to reinstall OS.
Is it working right for you? At one single Midi Channel?

Not sure about the “MIDI Rx ShortMessage”

I read somewhere that single channel mode is buggy. Needs a firmware update.

A great demo of taking advantage of the Digitakt’s sequencing abilities to make the Volca Drum really shine:

25%20AM

7 Likes

Very cool sounds here!

Definitely a Swedish influence… The Knife in particular, maybe?

OT and Volca Drum WIP: https://clyp.it/uspptabr

I’ve found it works wonderfully in split channel mode, using an OT track for each drum channel. Love the VD sequencer but 16 steps can get old very quickly!

6 Likes

Nice work! VD synthesis only?

A couple pads and pitched sounds are my OT samples, but it’s mostly VD. Could easily run an entire track with the Drum though!

1 Like

Firmware 1.14 update is available today, which fixes the single midi channel problem.

Download page on Korg US site here. This update is applied by playing audio into the Volca Drum, just like with all other Volcas.

Release notes

• Support for external clock synced delay.
  • Added a new edit parameter to enable pitch quantization.
  • Fixed single channel MIDI handling of note events.
  • Fixed MIDI Song Position Pointer.

The updated Volca Drum manual is currently only available on Korg’s Japan support site, here.

Of great interest is the new pitch quantization parameter! I’m crossing my fingers that it will allow playing of “traditional” scale notes via MIDI CC control of the pitch parameter.

The QPI: enable pitch quantization (semitone) parameter has been added to the list of additional part parameters accessed via pressing EDIT/STEP -> turn SELECT PARAM to select QPI -> turn LEVEL VALUE full right to enable QPI.

5 Likes