Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth

I just bought this thing cos Korg said that you could make your own oscillator engines as well as effects. A bit of tape and some cardboard later and I’m met with this; “Around” spring 2018?? More like around the end of this year. I’m so disappointed in Korg, I’ll just sell this thing and all other Korg stuff. I’ll also sue them. Then move to Siberia so I can chill out. :rage:

I made that post in the Overbridge for digitakt thread. I totally failed with my mission, I wasn’t quite fully conscious when writing that stuff. :+1:

I can’t code. I made a beer game in Visual Basic when I was young(er). But I gave up on learning how to program when that game was done. Amazing game, no one ever played it though.

I’m slightly worried about the user oscillator/engine being all about creating wavetables and being confined to use the parameters that are already in place. But then again, that’s not something you’d typically need an SDK for, so there’s gotta be more to it then that. The VPM engine can be modulated with a looping attack and decay envelope plus a intensity setting, in the menus. Basically it modulates the parameters you change when twisting the shape knob. On a wavetable it allows you to scan over it, back n forth. I think that’s how it works at the moment, I haven’t had time to dig into it yet, so not 100% sure yet. But, I do know that it kinda frees up the LFO to do other duty’s. Like adding the wubwub on that nasty FM bass you just made. :slight_smile: Edit: I forgot to add the part about hopefully being able to slap another LFO in there

I have high hopes for the effect section, there’s 16 slots in there as well. Hoping to see effects that belongs in the “creative” category (bit-crushed lofi delays, other takes on shimmer verbs, and so on).

It’s going to be interesting to see how much traction this gets. The price of entry is high, will a dev be able to make money on this, etc. Maybe Korg will provide a playground with the SDK, so no actual unit is needed to develop algos

1 Like

To be shown at Superbooth:

1 Like

Korg Prologue SDK Board

First i assume this is for the multi-engine, though it might be for the main onboard effects processsor, we’ll find out.

I’ll for now assume this is for the multi-engine:
There’s an audio input port. That could be there for just development purposes to input samples, or it could represent that capability inside the Prologue like input from that voices analog synth part. That would be nice if that’s in the hardware.

Interested to see if there might be LFO control going out as well.

1 Like

Yup, tt’s a neat twist.

However, with all due respect to Kirn, this ain’t the first time Korg has released a board that can run user-created synth stuff - he forgot about the OASYS.

I bet that board contains the full digital section of the prologue.

Even as a separate device, this could work like a sound processor. No MIDI i/o though.

I wonder if a board like that could be haxd into a digital synth / fx with USB MIDI?

1 Like

Following for the SDK

How is the Korg Prologue with the tuning fix just released?

Looks like a nice poly synth for the price. Currently $1,250-$1,500 and it comes with a free Electribe from Korg!

I’ve heard mixed things and listened to plenty of demos, anyone have some further comments on how it sits in a mix?

Korg has done a great job fixing the tuning issues…sounds great to my uneducated ears

This synth is a killer for the price… i got it last month in the sales here and basically got the 16 voice for the price of the 8 voice…I bought it on the back of Korg saying they were going to fix the tuning issues by the end of year and they have came through as promised

wished I knew how to code so I could take advantage of building my own oscillators and FX

1 Like

Plaits ported to Prologue

It’s free! A little extra plus on the Prologue, And this puts a extra shine on the Minilogue xd, if that turns out as expected.

2 Likes

Was there any resolution to the prologue tuning issue?

yes. all sorted now with an update apparently.

Posted recently here:

Thanks dudes im wondering if the update ever came out.

System Updater update released 12-2018.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/778/#software

Looks like it has the tuning fix.

2 Likes

Yeah thanks. I really like the idea of the prologue, I wish they would’ve put out dev boards for people to buy.

I haven’t seen a Korg dev board since the OASYS PCI but ya never know.

They gave some out to people at Superbooth last year, was a single oscillator and fx chip from the prologue, theres an SDK as well. The only other option is to buy a prologue and that’s not really appealing for just messing around.

Sounds like the sort of thing Moog does at MoogFest - special items you can’t order from a store and can only get from a festival.