Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth

Add DSI Pro 2 to your list of options. It’s a mono, but with a paraphonic mode that lets it play up to 4-note chords. Different filter design too than almost all the other DSI synths.

Oh, and uh. some peeps got a Deepmind and are actually happy with it. At least those who stuck it out past the growing pains

H
i tried to delete a previous post (prologue dreams) as i am pretty clear which way to
go now - hybrid poly! thanks to all for the sound advice:sunglasses:!

save your money , do yourself a favor and buy a dave smith !

Yep following from the other thread, there are much better options out there

If you’re on a budget, don’t shy away from the Mono Evolver keyboard. Each of the four oscillators can be tuned and sequenced individually, and while it’s not paraphonic, I do believe you can sequence each oscillator’s pitch individually, at least with the internal sequencer.

The Evolver is a remarkable family of synths, for sure, often overlooked in these discussions.

Pittsburgh Microvolt 3900 – Radikal Technologies Delta CEP A – Korg Prologue

Just got the Korg Prologue 16 recently, has to be the best poly synth I’ve ever owned —amazing sound designer soundscapes in this beast. On Tuesday will order a second unit
liking it so much i sold all my other poly synths apart from AK (DSI PEK, NL4,Peak sold)
The band I’m in has some vintage Korgs DSS1,DW8000 etc and Prologue is my favourite)

Ok Im now thinking that the Prologue 16 is the best poly synth from japan since the Jupiter 8/6. I can’t do a side by side as I sold my JP8 and JP6 stupidly a few years back.
Instant classic–its return to tradition i love the solid build ,real wood sides and beautiful keyboard and love they did not include a sequencer. We have plenty of other great HW sequencers.
My advise is get the Prologue 16 over the 8 for the minimal price difference.
Try Alto Music NY and see if they can give you 15% off MAP for the 16.

Define minimal :blush:

The 16 has the analog low-end booster/compressor, the 8 does not.

I feel the same way about this, though the qualifier minimal only applies relative the $2000 (or even 2k -15%). The way i’ve been thinking about it is, the 8 has half of both the analog and digital synth voices, fewer keys, no timbre control section, no sexy bass boost, and second rank status. It should be closer to half – so $1250 - $1350 seems a better price.

My guess is really its main function in Korg’s line-up is as comparison price support to the sell the Prologue 16 and its slightly higher price supports this. That makes the 16 seem less expensive. (Auto companies do this with cars.)

Heck the VU meter is worth $500 isn’t it?

By itself no. With the analog low-end booster/compressor that it’s attached to, yes.

The patch maker Geosynths of the UK has put out a series of videos demonstrating their 75 patches for the Prologue.

Patch 1-25

Patch 26-50

Patch 51-75

These sound really good – at least to my ears.

ADDED: Geosynth also has three very long live streams demonstrating and explaining these patches.

Not a fan of this synth at all.
Incredibly boring to my ears and eyes.
Even the VPM osc looks like it’s directly imported from Korgs previous products.
The old King Korg even offers much wider sound palette and sound design options, let alone korgs older products

I just bought this thing cos Korg said that you could make your own oscillator engines as well as effects. A bit of tape and some cardboard later and I’m met with this; “Around” spring 2018?? More like around the end of this year. I’m so disappointed in Korg, I’ll just sell this thing and all other Korg stuff. I’ll also sue them. Then move to Siberia so I can chill out. :rage:

I guess you missed that all.

Hold on for Superbooth in May – i’d expect at least an announcement and some documentation if not the full release of the SDK. The standards necessary for an SDK are a lot less stringent so they can even release it a little buggy (as long as the bugs aren’t severe) so be prepared for that too. Cool that you can write C code! (It’s probably C++ as well, i’m guessing.)

In the mean time you can experiment and come up with synthesis ideas that you can use later, I’ve been writing some wav files using Python – which is easy to do and free – to experiment.

I’m primarily interested in coding for the multi-engine, less so for the effects. There are 16 multi-engines, pretty cool you can write parallel code on a synth box like this.

It’s an open question how rich the library will be for the SDK – it may be very bare bones, or it could have all sorts of DSP tools and special synth functions. Can’t wait for the news on this.

I made that post in the Overbridge for digitakt thread. I totally failed with my mission, I wasn’t quite fully conscious when writing that stuff. :+1:

I can’t code. I made a beer game in Visual Basic when I was young(er). But I gave up on learning how to program when that game was done. Amazing game, no one ever played it though.

I’m slightly worried about the user oscillator/engine being all about creating wavetables and being confined to use the parameters that are already in place. But then again, that’s not something you’d typically need an SDK for, so there’s gotta be more to it then that. The VPM engine can be modulated with a looping attack and decay envelope plus a intensity setting, in the menus. Basically it modulates the parameters you change when twisting the shape knob. On a wavetable it allows you to scan over it, back n forth. I think that’s how it works at the moment, I haven’t had time to dig into it yet, so not 100% sure yet. But, I do know that it kinda frees up the LFO to do other duty’s. Like adding the wubwub on that nasty FM bass you just made. :slight_smile: Edit: I forgot to add the part about hopefully being able to slap another LFO in there

I have high hopes for the effect section, there’s 16 slots in there as well. Hoping to see effects that belongs in the “creative” category (bit-crushed lofi delays, other takes on shimmer verbs, and so on).

It’s going to be interesting to see how much traction this gets. The price of entry is high, will a dev be able to make money on this, etc. Maybe Korg will provide a playground with the SDK, so no actual unit is needed to develop algos

To be shown at Superbooth:

Superbooth 18

Not what i was expecting – thought this was going to be all software. I assume this is the same hardware as inside the Prologue plus some sophisticated debug and development utilities and hardware. This could be very good!

I suppose that Korg intended this – this definitely could sell the Prologue to me.