Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth

most of what I heard coming out of a Mono or Poly Evolver sounded amazing…
Most interesting DSI for me

1 Like

If you’re shopping in the used market, you might as well look for a Poly Evolver too instead of just the Mono. I was quite impressed with the sound and responsiveness. As for the REV2, try before you buy - some people hate the filter, so make sure you love it. :wink:

I agree w/ Jukka that the Prologue is basically an extension of the Minilogue design, hence the single LFO and whatever. As such, it’s a bit overpriced - the gap between the 8-voice and the Minilogue is a bit too big - will probably be a better bargain once prices start to drop.

1 Like

A truly magnificent instrument if 49 keys is acceptable. Would be the last piece of gear I sell if I ever lose the farm.

I would save my money and buy a Prophet 12.
That’s an absolute beast.
Another, much better option in the same price bracket is the Novation Peak, but no keyboard obviously.
These are both awesome hybrids and are extremely versatile with their extensive modulation matrix’s
DSI Rev2 has the same great mod matrix, but is only analog unfortunately. Wouldn’t buy it for this reason, but would still buy it over the Prologue any day of the week.

Ta appreciate your advice amigo. Looking at some video’s on the desktop P12 - any thoughts? The key version is way above my budget plus i get impulsive so kinda want new poly like yesterday lol.

You looking at hybrids only, or for analog polysynths? Looking at digital polys too?

1 Like

Initially the prologue caught my interest. since reading some of this - the hybrid route looks like a contender. best of both worlds i guess. loving the peak demos / p12 stuff on you tube . and now thinking desktop as happy to use AK for keys.

If you don’t need the keys then a Peak could be a great option.
Wavetables, FM between all oscillators as well as multimode analog filter with great filter FM.
Probably best reverb I’ve heard on a hardware synth. Great interface.
Prophet 12 is more powerful again, though the desktop doesn’t have the same knobby interface as key version or the Peak. Supposed to still be really user friendly though. The 4 OP linear FM update a while back makes it too hard to resist.
I have a Peak, but am going to buy the Prophet 12 module as well at some point

1 Like

Add DSI Pro 2 to your list of options. It’s a mono, but with a paraphonic mode that lets it play up to 4-note chords. Different filter design too than almost all the other DSI synths.

1 Like

Oh, and uh. some peeps got a Deepmind and are actually happy with it. At least those who stuck it out past the growing pains

H
i tried to delete a previous post (prologue dreams) as i am pretty clear which way to
go now - hybrid poly! thanks to all for the sound advice:sunglasses:!

1 Like

save your money , do yourself a favor and buy a dave smith !

2 Likes

Yep following from the other thread, there are much better options out there

If you’re on a budget, don’t shy away from the Mono Evolver keyboard. Each of the four oscillators can be tuned and sequenced individually, and while it’s not paraphonic, I do believe you can sequence each oscillator’s pitch individually, at least with the internal sequencer.

The Evolver is a remarkable family of synths, for sure, often overlooked in these discussions.

2 Likes

Just got the Korg Prologue 16 recently, has to be the best poly synth I’ve ever owned —amazing sound designer soundscapes in this beast. On Tuesday will order a second unit
liking it so much i sold all my other poly synths apart from AK (DSI PEK, NL4,Peak sold)
The band I’m in has some vintage Korgs DSS1,DW8000 etc and Prologue is my favourite)

4 Likes

Ok Im now thinking that the Prologue 16 is the best poly synth from japan since the Jupiter 8/6. I can’t do a side by side as I sold my JP8 and JP6 stupidly a few years back.
Instant classic–its return to tradition i love the solid build ,real wood sides and beautiful keyboard and love they did not include a sequencer. We have plenty of other great HW sequencers.
My advise is get the Prologue 16 over the 8 for the minimal price difference.
Try Alto Music NY and see if they can give you 15% off MAP for the 16.

Define minimal :blush:

1 Like

The 16 has the analog low-end booster/compressor, the 8 does not.

By itself no. With the analog low-end booster/compressor that it’s attached to, yes.

1 Like

Not a fan of this synth at all.
Incredibly boring to my ears and eyes.
Even the VPM osc looks like it’s directly imported from Korgs previous products.
The old King Korg even offers much wider sound palette and sound design options, let alone korgs older products