Korg OPSIX

It seems like I may be the only who doesn’t like the new case design. The concept design from NAMM looked absolutely perfect. Classic, minimal and clean. I absolutely loathe the new stroked-type Opsix badge and notched sides and ridges of the front panel.

Quibbles aside, this is the synth I was most excited for at the start of the year. The smaller form-factor means I might even have space for it in my setup. Very interested how the encoder UI compares to DN and how much menu diving there is.

2 Likes

Maybe they have one of those little plastic pull-outs like some of the Yamaha rackmounts?

6 Likes

Probably a card like with Volca FM?

2 Likes

You have to get the algorithms tattooed on your forearm.

10 Likes

It was always my idea to do this, I’m sure someone out there has this tattoo already

1 Like

Not a bad idea :smiley:

I actually have a waveform tatooed across my back. (though it’s a PWMed Sine wave that one of my UltraFade VCOs can generate) I wouldn’t mind getting some FM algorithms though.

4 Likes

A Korg Minilogue and Korg OPSIX . Would look great on a desk together.

I wonder how often the OPSIX gets book ended with a WaveState ? (I don’t know if they bookend sound-wise.)

2 Likes

Yeah, a 61-Key Synth would be a statement in it’s own right. A full sized modern DX-7 with additional sound design options would a play to the same market as the 2600 FS reissue.

The wavestate-sized version says, “Here is another toy to buy yourself for christmas!” I mean it’s the same sounds coming out of the synth and everything, but I think they are marketing to more people this way.

I guess I’m curious to see how the OPSIX stacks up against the digitone, both in the sound engine and sequencing departments. DN is the benchmark for FM in the 21st century as far as I’m concerned.

3 Likes

Pics or didn’t happen :grinning:

3 Likes

This. It would be stunning to see the DigiTone engine with more controls brought to the surface.

1 Like

Hard to get a pic by myself (in the office today) but maybe my wife will grab one for me later. :smiley:

1 Like

DN Keys could do the job for you, or do you mean more controls that aren’t even available currently?

1 Like

The latter. Sliders for envelopes on an FM synth (any synth?) are amazing, IMO.

1 Like

From what I’ve read… the “sequencing department” is a 16-step polyphonic sequencer with modulation lanes that makes me wonder, “Why even bother?”

There’s a lot about the specs that makes me think “Cool, but a lot of wasted opportunities.” I’m open to being proven wrong.

2 Likes

New product makers traditionally do “competitive analysis”, often to a large extent. Looking at the market and the customer and understanding what they are seeking. I bet the team at Korg had access to a Digitone Keys and a MODX among other products, and got a chance to plan from a basis of knowledge. Korg is corporate enough to presume they had someone doing this basic sort of work. Hopefully for us this pays off, because certainly the DK and the MODX set a pretty high bar.

2 Likes

I hear you. Let’s see what KORG have done here, because they really should have thoroughly looked into the DN before releasing this. It could be amazing for those wanting to go a bit deeper with FM/PM depending on the UI, sequencer, etc etc :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

These days I am a tourist when it comes to these discussions, but I want all manufacturers to put out ass-kickingly good gear and continue to move the marker forward! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too. Right now, I’m super happy with rolling my own synths in Bitwig. But if something comes along that would work as an awesome, affordable synth that could also act as my main controller keyboard too, I’d be tempted.

1 Like

Same form factor as Wavestate.

5 Likes