Korg OPSIX

I know this, but I’m a dreamer.

1 Like

Looks great, and I dig the form factor. This would be a pickup for me.

Quite a shift from this:

To this:

Perhaps there is more than one version ? Or is Korg economizing (like Modal did Argon => Cobalt) from the WaveState ?

The WaveState might be interesting in a 61 key big brother version too.

4 Likes

I expect that was just an early prototype. The updated design looks great imo.

2 Likes

Looks quite inspired by Elektron design, screen graphics and encoder and button layouts etc.

15 Likes

Oh that is sexy and with the Monologue/Minilogue 16 step sequencer? Yum yum. Korg makes some of the coolest stuff. Love my Volcas and Monologue.

1 Like

I think this size makes a lot more sense, their target market for this thing would use it as one flavor in a collection of synths, not as their master keyboard. Considering the mod-x exists, it would be a bit weird to have this very limited/focused synth in such a large format.

The “dice” numbers on the operators in the algos on the screen were a good choice, and look very elektron.

Nice io and multitimbrality would have been nice, but really I just hope it sounds good enough to replace my dx7 mk1 (I doubt it, but still…). 3 EGs is kind of a bummer, I guess I am okay with ADSR but I hope there are some more tricks there. The operator modes might be cool.

They need to release this and the wavestate in module format already, and cut the price by 150 bucks. Anyway that’s my take, can’t wait to hear it!

1 Like

Looking a bit deeper, I think it might get a bit annoying scrolling through and trying to remember 40 odd algorithms, although they might put a little cheat card in the box to solve that.
Also, 3 envelopes is not enough for a 6op FM synth.

Those 3 envelopes and 3 lfos are modulation sources, though. Operators have a level/eg button. Im just wondering if we’ll see proper level/rate envelopes or something else.

1 Like

If you’re right, then it’s time to sell that last kidney.

3 Likes

I second the motion for module versions of this and the wavestate.

2 Likes

I think market research shows that more compact synths sell really well these days.

2 Likes

i’m much more interested in this size/format of FM synth. can sit on the couch w/it and make patches w/headphones on. a great way to spend time.

2 Likes

It says EGs are ADSR… hard to say for sure but I don’t think they’d do rate/level like yamaha does. I imagine they would limit the EGs like elektron did.

Wasn’t that always in reference to mod sources?

The scheme of six potis, faders and data entry encoders doesn’t seem to fit proper level rate envs, but from the few shots we have, we see that there are parameters blocked out on the display, so paging between 4 levels and 4 rates seems quite possible actually.

At least that’s where my hope comes from^^ :rofl:

Also ofc the Volca FM which could load DX7 patches…

I should probably just chill until I can RTFM, but they had a similar convo over at gearslutz with regards to the EGs. Some thought as you did, that the 3 EGs referred to the mod sources. Also there was this link shared from encyclotronic that listed R1-4 and L1-4 parameters for the EGs.

But since there was no mention of that in the recent leaks, I’d be surprised if that were the case. I’m mostly ok with ADSR, but 3 EGs for the 6 ops would be a letdown.

I think the list of effects is exactly the same as the Electribes 2. I guess they reused some code.

Would have been nice if they printed simple diagrams of the algos above the keys, probably just about space there to fit them.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know it sounds like a little thing, but if you’re going to have 40 or so algorithms, it really does pay off to make those algorithms as visible as possible.

Any ideas on price? If it’s the same as Wavestate, it could do very well, but then again that would put it in direct competition with the DN, which I assume now has a solid reputation for making FM/PM easy to use.

2 Likes