Korg OPSIX

Nice. And the algorithms are shown on screen in a very, very Elektron way. They’ve clearly been admiring the DN and its sales.

5 Likes

The color-coded lighting with the operators seems like a really nice touch for at-a-glance feedback of what you’re trying to tweak. I’m not color-blind at all though, so I hope they put in some research into color selection to maximize accessibility for folks who might be.

2 Likes

Specifications

These specifications were seen on the emnordic webshop, and haven’t been confirmed by Korg, so we can’t vouch for their accuracy at the time of writing. But they look pretty impressive:

• Keyboard: 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
  • Maximum Polyphony: 32 voices (or a max. of 24 voices, depending on the settings)
  • Sound generating system: Altered FM sound generator
  • Structure: 6 operators, 1 filter, 3 EGs, 3 LFOs, 3 effects, step sequencer, arpeggiator
  • Algorithm: 40 presets + user algorithm (unique to each program)
  • Operator: 5 modes (FM, Ring Mod., Filter, Filter FM, Wave Folder)
  • Oscillator waveform: 21 waveforms (Sine, Sine 12bit, Sine 8bit, Triangle, Saw, Saw HD, Square, Square HD, Additive Saw3, Additive Sqr3, Additive Tri3, Additive 12345, Additive 1+2, Additive 1+3, Additive 1+4, Additive 1+5, Additive 1+6, Additive 1+7, Additive 1+8, Noise S/H, Noise White)
  • Filter: 11 types (LPF 12, LPF 24, LPF MS-20, LPF POLY6, HPF 12, HPF 24, HPF MS-20, BPF 6, BPF 12, BRF 6, BRF 12)
  • EG: ADSR
  • LFO: 23 waveforms (Triangle, Saw Down, Saw Up, Square, Sine, Sample&Hold, Guitar, Exp. Triangle, Exp. Saw Down, Exp. Saw Up, Step4 Triangle, Step6 Triangle, Step4 Saw Down, Step6 Saw Down, StepRnd:Time, StepRnd:Lvl&Time, StepRnd:Level, Random:Time, Random:Lvl&Time, Triangle + , Saw Down + , Saw Up + , Square +)
  • V.Patch: 12 routings
  • Effect: 30 types (Chorus, Unison Ensemble, Phaser, Phaser (BPM) , Auto Pan, Auto Pan (BPM), Flanger, Flanger (BPM) , Rotary Speaker, Auto Wah, Exciter, Enhancer, LFO Filter, 3-Band EQ, Distortion, Guitar Amp, Decimator, Grain Shifter, Master Limiter, Compressor, Delay, Delay (BPM) , Autopan Dly, Autopan Dly (BPM), Tape Echo, Tape Echo (BPM) , Early Reflection, Reverb, Shimmer Reverb, Spring Reverb)
  • Sequencer: Step Sequencer (up to 16 steps, up to 6 notes per step) , Motion Sequencer (up to 6 lanes)
  • Arpeggiator: 7 patterns (MANUAL, UP, DOWN, ALT1, ALT2, RANDOM, TRIGGER) fault)
  • Number of programs: 500 (250 preset programs and 250 user programs as the factory-set de
  • FAVORITE: 64 (16 Slots × 4 Banks)
  • Controllers: MODULATION wheel, PITCH wheel, RATIO OP 1–6 knobs, LEVEL OP 1–6 sliders, DATA ENTRY A–F knobs
  • Inputs/outputs: Headphone (6.3 mm stereo phone jack), OUTPUT L/MONO and R (impedance-balanced 6.3 mm TRS phone jacks), DAMPER (6.3 mm phone jack, half-damper not supported), MIDI IN and OUT connectors, USB B port
  • Power supply: AC adapter (DC12V)
  • Power consumption: 5 W
  • Dimensions (W × D × H): 565 × 338 × 90 mm / 22.24″ × 13.31″ × 3.54″
  • Weight: 2.9 kg / 6.93 lbs.
  • Included items: AC adapter, Precautions, Quick Start Guide
2 Likes

Generally the layout is pretty Elektron-ish, but especially the data entry encoders and it seems also the graphics.

Since an operator usually refers to oscillator + envelope, there’s still hope for multistage envelopes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I applaud Korg for this synth, but they really need to start giving us more sequencer steps.

8 Likes

If you use their Sequencer, yes. I’m hoping for a Module version.

1 Like

Definitely interested in this… especially if there was a module version (and a module version of the wavestate is overdue as well). I think the layout looks pretty intuitive for programming and reading the features it definitely does stuff the Digitone doesn’t (and vice versa). One thing though, live tweaking might be a bit cumbersome if you have to click the OP Select buttons loads - be good if there was a way where you could use the Data Entry knobs as macro knobs.

There’s a mod matrix with 12 routings. Analog Keys seems like a good match with the mod stick (sends mod wheel, pitch bend and breath control).

The dimensions (3.5x22.25x13 inches) put it in the same form factor as Wave State. The Minilogue is only 19.7" wide. This might actually be full sized keys.

3 Likes

Thanks for the precision.

Can it do drums? :slight_smile:

A cool thing that Korg often hide in their synths is user scales allowing microtuning. Pretty sure Wavestate had it so with FM, this could be really nice.

Does this have legit FM chips like a YM2612 in this thing? Or is it a software emulation? Might not make much of a difference sonically but it nay answer some other questions. For example, if they’re using dedicated fm chips then you can safely assume that each operator will have its own envelope, but if it’s a software emulation there’s a chance that they have done some weird simplification stuff and not every operator will have its own envelope. Very curious

1 Like

FM chips, like the YMxxxx series are digital already, so whether or not the OPSIX is soft/firmware doesn’t really matter all that much. They could make it behave like a YM/OPL, or make it the modern equivalent without the limitations of the old ICs. I would hope they go with the latter. There is a certain charm to the old chips, but they have some pretty heavy limitations. Personally, I’d prefer the OPSIX was modern and clean sounding, and leave the grit to the MegaFM for example. Just my personal taste though… Or maybe they could have a setting for quantization noise, limiting the table size for the waveforms, etc. so it would be up to the user to decide.

4 Likes

Big advantage to a software or FPGA Implementation is if you want to make detailed changes you can just load new software. Processors today can inexpensively handle the calculation load without corner cutting. In days of old the processing limits and expense made dedicated chips the effective choice.

2 Likes

I assume that’s what these reduced bit waveforms are for?

I can’t see much at fault here… the sliders/knobs per op are a nice solution, very clever (only other fm with sliders being in euro?), the 6 data entry knobs very Elektron… inspired let’s say, but they’re stealing from one of the best there, the additional operator modes open it up to do more than FM, 12 “v patch” routings, throw a filter on the end as a bonus. Let’s just hope that level/eg button under Operators does mean eg per op (and then 3 more assignable ones).

Maybe they’ll do a full keys version who knows… it would be nice but I can deal with 37 keys and a 16 step sequencer.

1 Like

Yamaha PSR-36 is a 4 op FM synth with sliders. Doesn’t look as sophisticated as this Korg, but it’s around. Just sayin.

2 Likes

I like it! I hope my local store will get one so I can try it.

Now we are talking. This looks great. 40 preset algorithms (with user programmable), 21 different oscillator waveforms, and 11 different filters is going to bring a lot of variety when starting out patches.

The sequencer feels lacking with only 16 steps. But as I was saying in another thread, Korg sequencers not may not be that deep, but they are really fun to use.

1 Like

I think it’s been said before, but with the limited sequencer on these boxes, it’s better to think of them as modulation sources than actual melodic/harmonic sequencers. I have the monologue, and I’ve used the sequencer to program synthesized drum loops, but where it really shines is the note-triggered mode. In the case of the opsix, you can automate 6 parameters over 16 steps, and with the note-trigger mode the sequencer acts automatically as a kind of EG with every note played. You can also record automation over the 16 steps by moving the knobs.

I use ableton as my midi sequencer so I don’t really need a built in one on my synths, but if you haven’t owned one of the korg synths of this size, just know that the sequencer isn’t as completely useless as it looks. In the wavestate it looks pretty good actually.

6 Likes