Korg OPSIX

This was my guess. Using MPE with the EssenceFM is pretty freaking sweet. Not enough on its own to torpedo a whole line for, I recon. But if there were already shortages or other reasons to retool (and complaints about the existing keybed), might be enough of rational to do a mkII.

2 Likes

The Medeli poly-aftertouch keybed is also available, and Glen Darcey did say it was going to be used by a large manufacturer. Iā€™ve wondered who that was for a while. Itā€™s possible. The time window is right.

4 Likes

Monome have just released a last batch of Norns for 2022 with supply problems being given as the reason for why itā€™s not being produced again until later in the year / early 2023; theyā€™re operating on a much smaller scale than someone like Korg, obviously, but basically cannot find RasPi CM3+s in sufficient quantities for now to make new Norns.

The Norns Shield is being discontinued as they cannot get RasPi 3b+ or 4Bs either (but it is open source, so it will still live on).

(Sorry for going slightly off-topic).

5 Likes

Someone want to spawn a thread, iā€™d do it, but not sure exactly what to frame that thread on.

Good post DoS.

2 Likes

Failure to prioritize delivery of commercial components.

The Pi Foundation is education focused. Iā€™d have to dig into their forums to confirm, but Iā€™m pretty sure their educational / consumer customers come first. Korg clearly has a commitment to education as evidenced by their Little Bits project/collab, but they could have gone with a high-volume industrial producer instead. They could still make a nice donation to the Pi Foundation.

Sleepy Circuits also pivoted from what I think was a compute module based product to a bring-your-own Pi kit.

This is a reasonable strategy for a boutique builder, but probably wouldnā€™t fly for Korg.

1 Like

Got a title for you:

Raspberry Pies, Chips, and Other Edibles: A collection of thoughts, stories, and conspiracy theories in the modern era of supply chain shortages.

7 Likes

I was thinking Korg OPSIX Selloff ā€” Side stories.

4 Likes

I like it.

2 Likes

Could be a fun thread, but Iā€™d feel bad about beating up the Pi Foundation in a dark alley like that.

To clarify my comments above: What the Pi Foundation is doing for education and accessibility of low-level compute devices, unencumbered by MSFT & AAPL BS, is unambiguously good. Iā€™m pretty skeptical of their side business of selling components for integration into commercial products. That is a highly competitive, super low margin business. Anyone competing from Shenzhen is going to eat the Pi Foundation for breakfast.

4 Likes

I hear you. We can keep beating them up in a well-lit alley.

1 Like

New thread:

5 Likes

Cool, I thought that also had the Fatar. Iā€™ve heard good things about both in that case, excellent news.

Lots more for this thread, many stories of deliveries and discoveries to happen.

Enjoy your OPSIX.

1 Like

Iā€™m primarily a guitarist and not much of a keys player. That said I do try to play and good feeling interfaces are important to me.

This keybed is the worst I have felt EVER. Itā€™s worse than an Arturia Essentials, any M-Audio board Iā€™ve used. It is so bad that Iā€™d be livid if I payed MSRP for the thing.

Iā€™d like to add that in most of the presets and in what Iā€™ve tried to program myself there is something going on in the midrange that wasnā€™t there with my DX7II and Digitone. Itā€™s a honky, nasally qualityā€¦ doesnā€™t sound very ā€œhifiā€ if that makes any sense. Am I doing something wrong? Most people whoā€™ve owned a digitone and opsix claim the opsix sounds higher quality but that isnā€™t my experience so far.

I have very high end synths and synths of all ranges, the OPSix never stood out to me as bad at all. I never thought about it. I paid full price (like 850!) and I thought that was a steal.

I love this synth! Iā€™m also not a keys player at all in a guitarist.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s some DIY desktop versions out there. Itā€™s not the same as an all-in-one with excellent keybed, but Iā€™m one that prefers desktops and a separate midi controller.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Korg OPSIX Selloff ā€” Side Discussions

Got my opsix this afternoon. I ordered it from another Reverb retailer that was not the Korg Warehouse on 8/1 around 6pm EST for the same discounted price. It was shipped from Reverb Holdings in Chicago, IL.

6 Likes

Imagine what you could do with 600 operators.

1 Like

Probably something like this, but 20x more.

At that point, SuperCollider or CSound or just some python probably makes more sense. But I do occasionally fantasize about having a studio in a warehouse.

2 Likes