Korg Nu:Tekt DIY Synth kit

Some of these new plugins sound super dope:

2 Likes

Maybe I missed thisā€¦ does the NTS-1 let you store presets?

Good point! Apparently not.

Hmm. I wonder if all the patch information can be transmitted as CCā€™s so a patch can be a track in the DT or DNā€¦

The MIDI implementation chart shows that a large number of parameters can be transmitted and received as CC messages; I havenā€™t checked how comprehensive that is.

The MIDI implementation also hints at a SysEx spec, which I imagine is how new oscillator and effects models get loaded on to the unit, so a SysEx patch dump may be possible.

1 Like

Maybe they will release an App for Patch storage.

1 Like

After playing around with this last night and this morning I can happily say that itā€™s awesome! Some great sounds in here already, and the FX are so nice! Canā€™t wait to use it with the Monologue tonight, so far Iā€™ve only used it with nanoloop mono. It was really fun building it too! If anyone is on the fence, Iā€™d say just buy it. It really needs the indicator on the knobs painted white though.

Wite-Out ? Or nail polish ? :crazy_face:

Iā€™m really digging this as an fx box (on my Volca Drum rn), but for the life of me I cannot trigger notes on it over MIDI via the mini jack. Does anyone else have this problem or am I missing something obvious? Iā€™ve tried from my Keystep, Digitakt, and mac. Nothing. It does work when I send MIDI over USB, but the USB connection introduces a ground loop. Annoying.

The thing does sound pretty cool tho.

Haha classic, but Iā€™ll just use a little modeling paintbrush and some tamiya acrylic like I did with all my volcas and monotrons. Big improvement!

1 Like

If you are talking about the Sync Jacks, their use is for syncing only.

I mean the 3.5mm MIDI in jack using a MIDI 5-pin to TRS adapter

1 Like

Do you have the right adapter? There are two incompatible TRS to DIN standards Type A and Type B. You probably know this already ā€“ i donā€™t even know if the Kit includes an adapter or not.
Just a shot in the dark here.

1 Like

The 3.5 mm Jacks on the Volcas are for Sync only. If you want to Trig Notes on the Volca, you have to use the MIDI DIN connector.

The NTS-1 has a Global Parameter called ā€œMIDI routeā€. Is that set to ā€œUSBā€ or ā€œUSB+MIDIā€?

Oh man thatā€™s totally it, I had no idea (just a dumb guitarist IRL). Of course I was using the type B adapters but need type A. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

This seems relevant here.

4 Likes

I popped these I had laying around on mine

I still feel a bit on the fence about it, having the knobs need to jump between every page and sub page instead of using all encoders and the fact that it has a built in speaker but no built in batteries is really some odd design choices imo. No memory state if you turn it off limits its uses also. It sounds good for the price though, if I had a choice give me encoders give me at least a last state memory and ditch the speaker for another audio out (this at least should be an easy mod).

Haha yeah some interesting choices for sure, the battery bit is the thing that baffles me, definitely makes it more of a pain for portable use! Iā€™ll make it work though, the built in FX are just so good already and you can add so many more. Having fun experimenting at work today when I have a chance, itā€™s fun to sync the arp and just tweak knobs while the Monotribe is running a sequence.

I havenā€™t checked yet if you can modify this behavior, but I donā€™t like that if you have the arp synced to an external pulse, then latch an arp, and then decide to hold arp button down again to use the B knob to change the time division of the arp, it cancels the arp latch instead of just letting you change the division while the arp runs. Hmmmmm, obviously this could be modified in a firmware update but itā€™s not ideal! I would prefer if the behavior was changed.

1 Like

I rearranged the relevant control and global param information from the manual into a smaller format, made this for myself to fold and slip inside the little case Iā€™m using but maybe it will be helpful for others.

9 Likes