Korg Nu:Tekt DIY Synth kit

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NutektNTS1--korg-nutekt-nts-1-monophonic-diy-synth-kit

Its now on preorder at sweetwater for 99$

I really like this little guy since it was announced
seems like a great, portable companion for Digitakt - to sample one shots, sequence it, or use it as an external FX processor (simultaneous delay and reverb, and filter too IIRCā€¦ plus for what Iā€™ve seen pretty much all parameters can be controlled via CC)

hoping maybe this gets a bigger brother ala Monotron > Volca
it wouldnā€™t surprise me, if they sell enough unitsā€¦

4 Likes

Wow, the price is really good, $159AUD $99USD - these have started to show up online as coming soon.

Might have to cop one of these as a little DIY project and an additional synth voice, love that it has audio input, so it can be used as a little effect unit also.

I have been impatiently waiting for months to get my hands on a couple. Iā€™m planning in using them as a convenient efx box for my modular and mono synths. I really like the sounds of the reverb and delay. The oscillator could be useful in a pinch.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only heard one demo on the reverb/delay processing external gear. Looking forward to hearing more of these puppies in the wild.

I see they are available now! What a great little item, looks very powerful. Will be picking one up soon for sure, too good to pass up as an FX box for nanoloop mono.

1 Like

I believe itā€™s the same algorithims as are in the Minilogue XD and in my estimation (based on my time with the XD) is that they are pretty excellent for the price. Plus you can add in user effects (and oscillators) with there already being some released by the likes of Sinevibes.

Iā€™m not in any rush as I have an XD but I can totally undestand where youā€™re coming from. But I wouldnā€™t be too down on the oscillator - there are already lots of excellent options out there including some nifty free/donationware options. The Chips2.0 oscillator from HammondEggs makes it a pretty sweet chiptune boxā€¦

https://hammondeggsmusic.ca/logueplugins.html

4 Likes

Yeah those Sinevibes guys have a pretty decent video of some custom Nu:tekt efx mangling a Digitakt

1 Like

this looks like the perfect addition to a pocket operator lab! finally some outboard effects for those little guys.

1 Like

Yeah I got mine today it seems like it will work well with nanoloop monoā€¦ although disappointingly a few things seem to limit it from being used in a more ā€œproā€ gear settingā€¦ first thing I tested was it as a master FX unit and at least with my mixer it canā€™t really take maxed out aux sends and the volume on the unit itself is very low maxed out so ultimaltely it needs to go back into a channel on the mixer with more gain rather than using the insert fx channel. At least that is how it is on my mixers. I donā€™t really need it as a master fx but I was looking forward to potentially programming some of my own, I will add atleast the built in FX donā€™t really hold a candle to modern Elektron or even my Pro 2s built in stuff, I tossed my dude in the chain to boot its signal and it can be fun for some unsynced lofi dub FX although I am giving up stereo fx for it.

Its a fun little unit, I wish it would remember the last state it was left in though.

edit looking at the manual this are all things I should have predicted, max input is 20v and max output is 5v. It has some deeper global controls for when you want the insert to happen in the fx chain and if you want to shave some DB off the insert volume.

4 Likes

Where did you buy yours from? Iā€™m having trouble locating a seller in the EU that has these in stock

Iā€™m in the states so I got it from sweetwaterā€¦ canā€™t imagine it will be long before eu get them

Everyone is saying ā€œnext monthā€

Guess I need to wait one more monthā€¦

I just hope the newly announced extensions will be available around the same time. Think imma get that arduino board with the display for my nts-1 as well.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the internal synth voice is audible/usable when the external input is plugged in? Basically wondering if you can hear the multi-oscillator and an external signal both going thru fx at the same time.
The manual shows that you can select where in the fx chain the external audio enters the signal path, which implies to me that you should be able to hear the osc and earlier fx before it also.

Yes you can, the latest Korg video showing it with the Monologue shows this scenario in action. I just ordered one today!!!

2 Likes

Well, having the Monologue and the NTS-1 set up in this config basically gives the Monologue superpowersā€¦ pretty awesome time to be into synths!

3 Likes

The audio could have gone back through the Monologue for gated reverb goodness.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought about that too, exactly what Iā€™m going to try once mine shows up.