Korg Nu:Tekt DIY Synth kit

i wonder how hackable this is;

1. wire up your own hardware of buttons and knobs
  2. code your own algos in a layman’s way

Not a huge fan of the sinevibes prices, information arbitrage at work.

No need to wonder, all the information available on Korg’s website, they desperately want you to hack it and build your own panels, layouts, etc. They even give a bunch of examples. The sinevibes prices are wild, I went to go buy a few this morning thinking they would be like 5 bucks, not 19!!! Instant pass…

buttons and knobs should be very much doable. Didnt Korg just introduce a new display board and a knobby circular panel? And say something about arduino support?

I’ve ordered one.

I saw a youtube a little while back (think it was an official korg demo) that had a ring of knobs and buttons and a Nu Tekt in the middle, so hope to make a DIY jobbie along those lines when it arrives; or go the other extreme and cut it back to a minimalist midi controlled blackbox with no controls!

They should be selling this like an arduino … or axoloti. Cheap as chips and lots of DIY options.

1 Like

I would love to see someone produce a 1U 19" rack front panel with knob per function, sliders for the envelope, full size MIDI, and all I/O on the front with full size 1/4 jacks(aside from sync, keep that 1/8th). That would be awesome!!!

1 Like

I’m tempted to get one but would be cautious buying plugins, it’s money that wouldn’t be recouped if I sold it.
As others have said I’d pay £5 ish but getting close to £20 I’d probably buy an iOS plugin due to the extra functionality (using aum , adding fx , recording digitally etc ).

1 Like

I feel you, I can’t imagine ever selling though, it’s a $100 DIY synth, who would go to the bother of taking photos, listing, shipping, etc for $60 or so after all is said and done? Pointless, cheaper in terms of time and effort to just keep it. I can’t imagine putting a $20 plugin on it unless it’s reaaaaalllllly good!

Has anyone been using theirs, loading oscillators and FX, etc? What are your thoughts? I’ve been having a TON of fun using it with the Monologue, it sounds really great and the FX are awesome! They really sound great. Hoping someone creates some really great reverbs for it (aside from the onboard, which already sound really great).

2 Likes

… anyone? lol I’m alone on my Nu:Island with this thing I guess. I think it would make a great companion for the model:cycles!!!

They seem hard to find in the uk.

1 Like

yeah, not available in Australia either yet

1 Like

I think everybody’s waiting for their Units. « Units on the way »

Do you know someone at Korg’s?

1 Like

Not anymore I don’t, I just ordered it normal-style at Sweetwater and it showed up a few days later.

1 Like

Me too–we must have checked at the exact right moment!

1 Like

I dig it. Couple of complaints though. I wish the screen gave you some kind of numerical feedback when adjusting efx. The knob is hard to see, even with white paint added, and it can be difficult when trying to find a sweet spot using the delay and reverb. Also wish the efx went a little harder, and were more pronounced, as I’m mostly using it as an external efx processor.

I just grabbed the M:C this morning and they had received the NTS-1. So I’m gonna test some FX on it. I think the Filter will be some great utility.

1 Like

Even if it’s MIDI Sync?

I haven’t tried that yet. Is it possible to midi sync the efx?

Interesting, I’m sending signals in pretty hot from a Monologue and nanoloop mono and I’ve found that the effects are all extremely pronounced, are you using it as a send effect from a mixer and blending with the dry signal? I’m running it inline since I’m using it on the go rather than in the studio space. The mod effects, delays, and reverbs really affect the signals I’m sending in super strongly, even to the point of going way overboard if I let them. Have you tried adjusting the input trim in the global parameters? Good to hear your thoughts.

Oh and I added white paint to the knob indicator but yeah, would really like to put some good knobs on. I tried a bunch I had laying around, but nothing fit properly. Have you tried any yet?

1 Like

The filter of the NTS-1 doesn’t affect external signals unfortunately… You might want to use uhhhh dual monotrons or something like that on the stereo signal pre-NTS-1 and you can have stereo filtering but yeah…

1 Like