KORG MS20 Full Size 2020

Aww man, that would look pretty hot to me!

1 Like

There are ways of finding out, but august means respectable or impressive and a patina of age are the signs of wear that come with time and has the connotation of a valued treasure like a statue or lacquered musical instrument.

3 Likes

Yes, I was disagreeing with the notion that a collector would want a modern reinterpretation and not and an original with original parts. Its not gonna sound like an original any more than a Mini or a k-2 does.

I dont think it really sounds identical. I have a ā€œvintageā€ MS-20 (I hate that word) and I compared it to the MS 20 mini, and it clearly wasnt identical. Dont think the FS will be different, since the components arent exactly the same. New components often outperforms old stuff on paper but music is not about opamp performance or stuff like that, so if that kind of difference bothers you then yeah probably one ā€œoriginalā€ anything will sound different enough to your ears to bother you.

1 Like

The problem with that line of reasoning is that vintage MS-20s do not sound identical to each other. Different production runs of the ā€œoriginalsā€ used vastly different filters.

Even if that were not the case, there are many users for whom the interface is the appeal. And to those buyers, the threshold for accuracy is far less.

2 Likes

I think most people who end up buying a vintage one usually compares that particular one to their own clone and decide based on that. But youā€™re right. Its pretty obvious with lets say 808s that they can sound vastly different, and of course during the course of production Roland replaced certain components which influenced the sound. If youā€™re a collector then you probably will end up buying the originals.

One consideration is that vintage will always keep its value. No matter how many clones or reissues are there they wont be considered as valuable. For better or worse. If you want to make music, getting quality synths have never been easier so I wouldnt really worry about getting expensive vintage things. Its fun and I myself own some but its not really anything you NEED to make good music.

:thinking:

Actually it wouldnā€™t look too badā€¦

3 Likes

Since the MS20M/MS20 kit versions were discontinued, Iā€™ve only seen one or two for sale second hand (and at close to the original price), which Iā€™m guessing means people are keeping them. I didnā€™t want to take the chance of these new reissues hitting the second hand market at lower prices, so I grabbed one. I donā€™t care if it loses its value, I didnā€™t buy it to flip it!

Plusā€¦ I really wanted a white one :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Collectors already have originals. The point being made is that these sound and feel close enough that you can gig with them without putting your rare and valuable '70s synth at risk. This is assuming the collector in question actually uses their gear rather than locking it in a vault and waiting for its value to increase.

3 Likes

This is the entire reason why I got an MS-20M when one showed up at a reasonable price, and itā€™s magnificent for this purpose. I never liked the keys on the original MS-20 so donā€™t miss them at all, and itā€™s far easier to place among other devices. Korg really should reissue the M as a kit or otherwise.

1 Like

I donā€™t really feel like posting what Iā€™ve already posted again. Youā€™re free to disagree with me.

Hear, hear!

1 Like

Mine doesnt even sound like itself! Fecking thing couldnā€™t hold a pitch if it tried. Knackered ol thing.

4 Likes

This has both filter types tight? How are they switchable? I believe the mini had an internal jumper/switch to choose? Very not ideal. But maybe the kit or other versions (there was a desktop for a short time wasnā€™t there?) had a ā€œhold this key at startupā€ type thing?

Thanks in advance for clarification.

check the manual. I think you hold a specific key when powering it on.

I was confused by this as well (though I have a vintage one and donā€™t intend on getting the re-issue), since thereā€™s no visible switch on the panel. so I went hunting for it in the manualā€¦

1 Like

The mini only had one filter type, the desktop had a panel switch.

2 Likes

I can confirm the panel switch between rev 1 and rev 2 filter types (I prefer the cleaner rev 2 personally) on the MS-20M.

2 Likes

Just picked mine up. Itā€™s amazing. Very glad I got the white one. Iā€™ll be pairing it with my bandmateā€™s original black version for some synthpunk / psychedelic jams soon.

28 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if the 2600M will sit/fit the top of it now.

Why did you give me this information, I do not need to be tempted further :laughing: