KORG MS20 Full Size 2020

I could go for a module, but no, I’d be putting a small modular rack or guitar pedals on its top shelf. Yeh, it’s a nostalgia thing.

2 Likes

What I don’t get is why a real collector would want one of these new MS-20’s as they have new & different components inside. The point of those new Minimoogs was that they had a bunch of original components in a warehouse, enough to build a small run of Minimoogs that do actually sound identical to the originals. When they ran out of those old components, they stopped making them. IIRC Korg ran out of the MS-20 components back in the 80s. So, the new MS-20 is just a reimagining much like the Mini or a K-2, it just looks like the old one.

True dat, and while I realise that Behringer is probably selling those units with little profit, I find it just odd that Korg would ask that much for a synth that’s been remade twice already (three times if you count the superior kit module, which is how I’d have imagined a modern reissue to look like, not the awkwardly shaped original).

1 Like

Exactly, such a baffling decision. That kit is pretty much my dream synth, and I will definitely buy one if I see it locally.

It looks and sounds like the classic when you have the synth meetup. The cosmetics are the selling point, authenticity is dead mostly irrelevant.

I like the shape of the MS20 :man_shrugging: and I wanted one that would be guaranteed free from issues. I’m not a collector or a vintage purist, I just wanted a nice instrument, and from numerous times messing with my friend’s MS10 and MS20, I felt like they provide an interface experience that I can’t get out of say, my Nord Modular, which could arguably get pretty close in terms of sound.

6 Likes

Oscar Wilde once described “a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

I would like to get the MS20 FS as it has full size keys and sounds great to me. It visually appeals to me, and I believe it would entice me to play. That’s what I value in an instrument.

2 Likes

It behaves and sounds literally identical. What difference does it make that the components aren’t NOS?

1 Like

Nothing. They’re just components. Anyone who complains about that stuff doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

It’s like criticising someone for buying a new Strat shaped guitar because it doesn’t have a nitrocellulose finish and isn’t wired exactly the same way as they were in the 60s.

8 Likes

I have a military green one on order from Sweetwater. I want to make Time Machines drones like Coil used to.

I also have a second side project in mind called, “Gilbert Goldfrapp”.

I want to take a similar approach to the MS-20 that Alison Goldfrapp did with her vocals, but instead use random snippets of dialogue from Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast to feed into the MS-20’s external signal processor.

4 Likes

Hahaha fkn amazing :laughing:

For a collector it makes a difference.

Did you read the post you responded to?

Yes.

What were you trying to communicate with that question?

I was just echoing your point about why a collector might want to buy a reissue rather than playing their '70s original.

1 Like

Ah you were referring to me not addressing me. I am now unpuzzled :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sick!! The white one is so rad.

1 Like

I just hope that the White will stand over time and that it won’t yellowed like the Keys of the MC-303.

There are worse things than an august patina of age on an instrument.

No idea what that means.