Korg Minilogue

Tbf it seems like it’s the opposite of a preset machine, knob per function tweakability is one of its biggest selling points for me … would be a refreshing change from a certain other four voice synth that I know and love.

Needless to say, the gearslutz backlash has already started - first line of attack has been the suspicion that it’s paraphonic but being sold as polyphonic, I’m sure mini keys, build quality, daw integration, “cheap” sound will be discussed in due course.

Think this demo is better for getting an idea of the sound than the Sweetwater one, which is more features orientated.

Sounds pretty good to me, definitely would bring something worthwhile to the table, I’m definitely going to get one … after I save up for a P6.[/quote]
Haha :slight_smile: For 500 bucks there’s gotta be some corner cutting huh, main thing is how it sounds/feels and so far it looks promising. Couple of things I can’t see, tap tempo and latch. Bit of a bummer for loose sequencer jams with a band. Not deal breaker though and maybe hidden in a menu or shortcut combo… Wonder if there’s any kind of mod matrix in the menu too? Hopefully the manual pdf will appear pretty soon…

Wonder if it’s truly polyphonic.
If I’m correct, you should be able to record hats, and then play over it.
What’s your clue ?

Needless to say, the gearslutz backlash has already started - first line of attack has been the suspicion that it’s paraphonic but being sold as polyphonic

if you stick to the definition that paraphonic = sharing at least one element between the voices then almost certainly the minilogue is this, because sure as shit it has just one filter covering all the voices :stuck_out_tongue:

besides - as it was mentioned before - at this price point they had to cut corners!

Almost certainly - I would be shocked if they can get a filter per voice out at this price point. And I’m not sure it’d put me off for the money. But it still seems that there’s a possibility that they’ve managed it, nobody knows for sure at this point.

wrong, the guy (PluginGuru) has corrected himself, he has now stated it does have one VCF per voice.
what he meant is it has one filter section i.e. its monotimbral, which is not a surprise, no one said/thought it was multitimbral.

(i.e. though you can only have one cutoff value, keytrack/filter envelope can affect it per voice)

this is all in the comments of the sweetwater video, where you can see where the confusion started, and was later cleared up

(its also reasonably clear its has a separate VCA per voice, due to the sidechain voice mode)

so… it looking most likely its a polyphonic, as korg described it.

I’m getting one. Been waiting for this for a long time :slight_smile:

Hope it can be polychained in some way!

Near bottom of this page:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-6/

Due to my capricious nature as a (wannabee) musician, I’m much more interested after starting to watch/listen to that Sweetwater video.

Not interested in the paraphonic vs. polyphonic question myself - it can play chords of up to 4 notes - good enough for me!

Colour me shocked: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6356699&sid=733cb0e58aef54fcdea25fc1d934dbe9#p6356699

So you would really rather the Minilogue have no presets? It has 100 user presets, and is quite tweakable it seems. Not exactly a preset machine like say the Oberheim Matrix 1000.[/quote]
I would rather have live panel mode.[/quote]
That sounds like a great feature, but why not have presets too!!! Really though more analogs should have this feature.[/quote]
Because DSI is apparently the only synth maker to even think of live panel mode. No patch memory ensures there is always live panel mode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
…[/quote]

At least some of the Nord Leads have this; Clavia calls it “manual” mode.

yeah, that’s kinda the point. with every new instrument comes insta-whine. this korg seriously looks like an early contender to synth of the year and it’s so funny people start talking shit that its para- not poly-phonic. srsly, who cares about the difference.

I have to say: I love it when a rumor quickly becomes a reality. This is going on sale as NAMM begins (Jan 21st), as it’s announced. You will have plenty of demos to help you assess it in about two weeks’ time, it looks like.

Well if you can sequence the 4 voices independently it’s a whole other beast, no ?

It looks fantastic to me.
Kind of a culmination of cool things from multiple synths.
Seems really playable and fun.

One of my initial thoughts, before hearing the demos LOL, was to wait a year or so for a price drop, like what happened with the MS-20 Mini. People paid like $600 or more when it first came. By the time I bought mine, Japan-based stores on eBay were selling it for $450 or less.

I’ve changed my mind since then. I feel like I can make music with the Minilogue right now, and the more I wait, the more time wasted that could have been spent making music.

For me, getting down to the business of recording tracks is what it’s about, though I’m a slower worker than a lot of other peeps here. Para vs. poly is irrelevant to me from this perspective, as well as sequencing individual voices or not - I’ve got 3 mono synths I can sequence individually already.

yeah, that’s kinda the point. with every new instrument comes insta-whine. this korg seriously looks like an early contender to synth of the year and it’s so funny people start talking shit that its para- not poly-phonic. srsly, who cares about the difference.
[/quote]
Me, and I also care about filter + ENV /voice too, because these are required to get the chord/pad sounds that I like.

This is redundant though - it’s a 4 voice poly with each voice having 2x VCO and VCF.

I’ll take two! :wink:

But seriously… I’ll take two!

Hope they do a desktop version

Looking at the size of the oscillator display, I think it is the perfect size for the display of the next generation of Elektron boxes. :wink: