KnobCloud (VST serial marketplace) Let's share our experience on it

Hello Nauts!

I propose to share collectively our experience on knobcloud
The first VST serial marketplace online (PayPal protection and you need it to create an account as it’s linked)

Knobcloud is the first dedicated marketplace for audio software licenses.
they claim to offer:

• Selling and buying licenses free of charge
  • An international audience
  • Protection of buyer and seller via PayPal
  • A dedicated search function
  • The ability to bundle licenses while selling them individually

In order to buy a particular license you need to register yourself, buy the license and send the seller the required information for the transfer of the license. The information required for the transfer is listed in the offer. Currently, payment is only possible with PayPal, so you need a PayPal account in order to buy a license.

Read the FAQ it’s very important
https://www.knobcloud.com/faq.php

4 Likes

( I would like to write something. Not fully linked to knobcloud but on my user experience with buying-selling music gears, software and suscriptions. )

1. Usually try the trial version extensively in real case scenario. Go in a Music shop few times with your headphones to mess around with gears you plain to buy. Ask someone who have it if you can try… Choose wisely regarding your spare time when you do use your trial period to try the plugin.

2. Never buy something except on Black Friday and Special Sales unless you really have no choice. Same for suscriptions do it on Black Friday.

3. When you buy on knobcloud or marketplace second hand use the second rule to estimate your psychologic price before. usually between 30% to 50% of the initial price. If used or second hand IF the price is higher, wait until Black Friday.

4. There’s a lot of website where you can set a whish list to track price and buy things you want at the best price, try to think that way.

5. The biggest mistake is the hurry and buy as soon as the product comes out

6. Pay attention on brands who heavily discounts and knobcloud offers, Native Instruments do a lot of discount summer madness etc… Plugin Alliance, Waves heavily discounted regularly! just keep that in mind. Cheap price doesn’t mean it’s a good deal

7. usually check KVR website, JRRshop with coupon code, Thomann sofwares discounted, pluginboutique, audiopluginguy, audioplugin-deals, plugin-deals, vstbuzz : BEFORE anything

Those advises are for everyone, but more for beginners in music. Read this and try to think that way. We all loose money. When you sell a gear and rebought few month later you already lost 1/4 or 1/5 of the price… keep that in mind. It is not me who launch the Black Friday thing, the devaluation of software is therefore done on marketing. Probably to help with sales against piracy maybe… But nothing wrong to do business yourself as well and get the best price you can!

1 Like

I’m not sure I see the value of this site, but happy to be corrected if I’m wrong. I can currently sell or buy software here or on KVR (among many other forums) and I can only allow the buyer to use paypal to buy from me so both sides are protected. This just seems like yet another website I need to set up an account for.

If you only sell using paypal and only buy using paypal, you have the protection. Knobcloud allows me to create a listing but I can already do that elsewhere, and I can also already check feedback for the potential buyer or seller so I have some confidence.

What is the extra benefit I get from this new site? It’s not a trick question - I’d genunely like to understand if I’m missing something. I have been buying/selling on KVR for 15 years with no problems. I don’t like the general “tone” there any more which is why I spend more time here nowadays but as a seond-hand software marketplace it’s thriving.

I’m not trying to disparage Knobcloud or it’s owners but it just doesn’t seem necessary. It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Knobcloud doesn’t offer me any protection as a buyer or seller, paypal does.

1 Like

Sure, i didn’t disagree with what you said.

it’s a marketplace a centralized point on the internet where you can “maybe” easily find what you seek. At least you can check it if you re looking for something precise. I added KVR to my list of advise as you right for sure

Another place for people who want to sell on a more targeted audience who are looking for VST serial… it can be faster to sell things than other way… that’s something to have in mind as well

We will see on time with this thread and people sharing their experience if it’s good or not.
But I agree we does bought for more 20 years without it for sure.

I can give you answers.

Was looking to sell a few plugins. I knew it is possible on KVR … but the website is so convoluted I never found where and how. KVR is not my first choice. I need to make an account there is another obstacle. So I rather choose a service that is only that and not 100 features like a community, blog and ad emails on top.

That’s why I am happy there is this website.

4 Likes

Fair enough, it makes sense and I can’t argue with that. Right now, I would make posts here or on KVR where I already have accounts and there are already thousands of users. I can see the value if you don’t alread have an account somewhere that has a buy/sell forum area.

No harm in having something dedicated but there is no protection with that site any more than any other site. It’s just another listing website that reommends that you use Paypal. Knobcloud isn’t protecting anyone, and it’s misleading for them to suggest that they are.

Also, their FAQ says this: -

“May I offer my license on other platforms while selling it on Knobcloud? - Yes, as long as you are not committed to your other offering. If a license is bought on Knobcloud, the seller is committed to transferring the sold license. The seller needs to avoid a scenario where he accidentally sells his license twice.”

Committed how? This kind of thing is very shaky. Their terms of use don’t specify that you have to sell on there if you’ve agreed to do so, and I’m pretty sure that there’s nothing in law that can enforce that. So why say it? “accidentally sell the license twice” really doesn’t mean anything. If I want to try sell something in multiple places to improve my chances and then just remove the postings once I’ve made a sale, then I can. Nothing dubious about that. Not “double selling” is just a moral obligation on me or, to put it another way, it’s up to me to be a good and honest seller. They’re trying to make it sound like it’s all very official and you have some legal protections or soemthing, but it’s nothing.

The protection is quite simply “use paypal for the transaction”. That’s it. Nothing more.

I’m only saying all this because there are loads of scammers around and people on KVR (and Ebay and others etc) have been scammed many times. But it had nothing to do with KVR - it was just about buying/selling carefully and not sending money to untrusted parties for something that was too good to be true.

I don’t have an issue with a new website with a specific purpose (I’m a professional web developer for 15 years) but just tread carefully and make sure you’re aware of what your rights are. I don’t think this website (or any other) can offer you any real protection and they shouldn’t even be hinting that they can. I’m married to a lawyer so maybe that’s made me over-cautious!

I apologise if this all sounds very heavy-handed, I’ve just seen too many people get stung over the years including friends/family and online aquaintances. Just be careful.

The buying/selling tips at the top of this thread are very useful and good advice!

1 Like

no no I think you are right on PayPal protection and scammers.

And that’s exactly what this thread is for. Collectively, Nauts, can discuss and share our experiences. it Can really help other people to get some kind of report I guess.

I bought Eventide H3000 Native from a seller on KnobCloud yesterday. I could see the seller had a few positive reviews so it felt safe buying.

When I set up the KnobCloud account I had to link my PayPal but when you actually pay on KnobCloud you do this externally, via PayPal to the sellers email address.

When you click ‘buy’ on KnobCloud you are also agreeing to commit to paying via PayPal within one hour.

I paid and around 3 hours later the seller transferred the plug-in to my ilok account and PM’d me to let me know.

It was simple and smooth, I found the site easy to navigate but it could perhaps do with a little refining.

I’ll defo check there first when buying software in future.

3 Likes

At some point they may change something to avoid that. But for now :

• you should ask to the seller first if the product have a serial and if it is NFR version or not.
  • If it’s ilok mentionned you should ask if you’ll get also the serial or only the deposit
  • You should never use Paypal send to a friend or family even if the seller ask for it

Why if you want to upgrade the software you’ll need the serial. What you buy can’t be a NFR version of the plugins. (otherwise you may be not authorized to produce music with it and sell the music then.) you may be unable to upgrade your software like version 2 upgrade to version 3

Also, if something goes wrong you may not be able to dispute if you send money to a friend or family. Eventually ask the seller if paypal taxes are included in the product price. (if you want to be fair.) Really, Read the knobcloud FAQ, any doubt send a contact message by email to them.

Copy Paste from knobcloud

Recommended user safety measures

• Never use “friends and family” or “gift” when paying with PayPal.
  • Never accept an unregistered serial license (this is a code that you input into the audio software to activate it) – you should obtain the license through the developer, which usually means that you will receive a notification from the developer.
  • To confirm a successful transaction only use the feedback function, which can be edited if needed.
  • If you detect fraudulent behavior of a user, please inform us under info@knobcloud.com
1 Like

Got a great price on an Arturia bundle from an unrated seller. Had a monster anxiety rush seconds after putting the paypal through but the seller messaged me within an hour and the licence was transferred in just over 24 hours so it worked out fine in the end.

I would use again but it was quite nerve wracking right up until I had new plugs installed and tweakable in the DAW.

Credit the seller for good comms and quick movement though.

I’ve bought a few things on there, brilliant experiences all round.

Sold a lot of plugins on Knobcloud, hardly sold any
on KVR…

Overall a good experience with knobcloud.

1 Like

Also it’s got a really funny name, like Timetosser, and I appreciate that

I’ve used it a few times now and had good experiences. Bought U-he Diva and Hive 2 a few months ago + just recently, Toontrack EZ Bass, Keys and Drums. Saved between 30-50 % from new prices.
I have seen some 0 score sellers on there selling really cheap software, so am assuming they are blaggers to avoid.

2 Likes

Ok i just tried it out and very successfully acquired maag eq4. Shadow hills not at a price i want:). Thanks for the suggestion @Claid

1 Like

I’ve purchased on knobcloud twice in the past 3 months. Zero issues and great deals.

1 Like

been using it for 1-2 years now, no problems yet

1 Like