Key Tracking for the Filter?

Hey folks,

after a look into the manual, fiddling around with the device, diving into settings and menus … I wonder: Is there a way to key track the filters of the Analog Rytm (MK1)?

Thanks in advance, guys

1 Like

AFAIK not possible. Eventually possible with external midi + midi processing, matching notes to filter frequencies Control Change by range.

1 Like

Mapping note # to velocity with a midi processor and then setting up a velocity macro on the AR opening the filter could be another convoluted-yet-simplerish alternative.

1 Like

Good idea! Btw, if Velocity mod works for key track with a specific range, it can be plocked. :slight_smile:

So in Velocity Mod I found a setting in order to have 1 velocity value = 1 semi-tone
May vary depending on machines / calibration
Not perfect.

Velocity Mod : dest =filter, Depth = 125
Filter : Bandpass, Freq = 0, high Resonance

Play a tuned sample.
Find the fundamental of your choice.
Plock velocity
Apply a square lfo with depth = +12 (1 octave up / down)

3 Likes

Landed on this thread today while working on the same technique. What I found for velocity mod mapping to freq cutoff is:

Freq cutoff itself is 1 semitone per unit. So when using Velo Mod on the cutoff, if you set the Depth to 64, you get 1/2 semitone per unit of velocity (or, 1 semitone for every 2 units of velocity). If you could set Velo Mod to 128 you could get 1 semitone/unit, but alas it only goes up to 127.

But use a Depth of 64, and then you can set the Cutoff itself to whatever base note you want, and then play your notes by setting the velocity of the step, e.g. a velocity of 2 == 1 semitone up from what you’ve set your Cutoff to, a velocity of 4 == 2 semitones up. You get more than 5 octaves of range above whatever base frequency (cutoff) you pick.

A nice side effect of this approach is that once you’ve got your “melody” using velocities, you can transpose the melody by just changing the cutoff frequency setting.

Also I found that using a 24dB lowpass filter gives the purest tones if you’re using a noise source (the noise is barely audible). Gives me something more to use all those Tom tracks for…

3 Likes

@pokk did some nice work with the keyboard tracking both with velocity mod and with static lfo mapped to filter frequency, there’s a nice chart you can follow to roughly dial in the values:

I can’t recall in which video he sets up the lfo but here’s one with the velocity mod and explanation of the process for example:

(obviously with velocity mod you can map not only the filter but 4 params simultaneously, which is very cool)

4 Likes

Update: I realized today that you can just set TWO mods for Velocity to Filter Cutoff (i.e in the Velo Mod menu, pick Filter Freq for two of the four parameters), and set them both to a depth of 64, and that gives you perfect pitch tracking; 1 semitone per step of velocity.

7 Likes

Cheers

I want to do a video just on keyboard tracking somehow. Such a great tool for creating movement and extracting more from a simple pattern.

3 Likes

Nice find !

but why both?

Limited to 127 with only one destination.
With 2 destinations set to 64, you reach 128.

3 Likes