Is Too Much Stuff Jammed into Digitakt?

Quite an image…me like.

Just got delivery of DT and DN 2 days ago, fumbling my way around DN for the first time, crazily amazing features and the sound quality coming from the headphone jack alone is impressive. First off have some issues with the Tracks button not lighting for recording always, I am obviously in a wrong mode, Mutes are not the problem, I dont think. Almost seems like theres a Lock On somewhere…

1 Like

My Digitakt does have a cable in every port if that sparks your fancy!

I know it’s an obvious thing to say but you’ll be well served by reading the manual for both beginning to end, even if it’s kind of boring and dry to read a manual.

1 Like

yes, I have to admit, I hate manuals, but its on my TODO List to read a bunch of 'em.
Its all part of accomplishment. thanks.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I don’t know what you mean about this. The track buttons don’t change color for recording. You don’t arm tracks to record. The machine is either in some recording mode or in play/stop mode- recording mode is for whatever active track you’re on. You set the machine to live record on 1 and then you jump over to 3 and you’re automatically in live record on 3.

Manuals are good! I highly recommend reading them! Otherwise there might be special powers in your gear that you would otherwise shop elsewhere for or worse never use those cool abilities!

Reading manuals is the most immediate form of learning.

1 Like

I mean the 4 ‘T’ Buttons.

I guess you don’t have a system-1m then… I love its sound but damn… My eyes are bleeding. Also: wmd minislew. Makes your retina burn.

1 Like

Those ‘mute’ modes are really screwing me up on Digitone as I start to learn it. Cant always unmute, its very frustrating, it shouldn’t be this complex IMO. I understand there are different Levels to the Mutes,its either/or/and Function and Pattern and this light or that, but I’m just guessing at this point.
I must say, Digitone is incredibly powerful and amazing for its small size, (understatement), a future electronic music classic, I just wish there were some things that were a bit more understandable right off the bat.

2 Likes

This thread is a testament to RTFM. Especially the lights, it’s very clearly explained in the manual what the different color lights mean. It’s clearly explained how the mute modes work as well.

I’m rather baffled at the confusion but I’ve RTFM.

9 Likes

At this point I’ll be out walking the dog and be thinking about new stuff to try and do with the DT. My experience has been a pretty strong contrast to your experience. I bought the DT at the same time as the Octatrack and the stuff you say about the DT apply way more to the octatrack.

For me the digitakt is a great sketchpad for churning out pattern that I can elaborate with other synths and stuff in the DAW or in a big patch with other synths and the modular. I use every feature (except maybe sequence mute mode or remembering to set up midi LFOs) so I don’t think of it as feature packed but rather well balanced.

But hey, if you don’t like it, then sell the DT. We all find inspiration in different places. I don’t think you will be suffering too much with only an A4 and AR :wink:

4 Likes

I did sell DT and rebought it a week later along with a DN. No piece of music gear will get the better of me before I can understand it. Then I will decide if I will actually use it in my composing. The thing I am struggling with now is ‘what should be the ‘Master’ Elektron’ that controls the 4 boxes I have now. The other 3 will be more like Sound Modules I guess. I like Analog Four as a Master so far.

Each Elektron should be using its own sequencer, don’t use the others as sound modules. It really defeats the purpose. One will be master clock and transport, but that’s it! Also, it needs repeating that the mute modes are really very simple and easy to understand. You NEED to read the manual. When I received my Digitakt, I read fully through the manual three times before opening the box. Set yourself up for success! If I am away from my Digitakt for a month, there is literally zero re-learning of the machine when I get back to it. You need to ACTUALLY learn it on a deep level that involves your muscles acting at the same time the thought appears in your brain, just like typing on a keyboard or playing piano.

6 Likes

sounds good, thanks.:wink:

Maybe you don’t like hearing my advice repeated my dude, but you continue to post about how confused these things are making you. You should take my advice if you want to “gel” with these instruments.

2 Likes

If you don’t like manuals, watch this video of cuckoo regarding the digitakt first (I think it’s also pretty fun to watch): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MXexVHNO0ms

After that, the manual made much more sense to me.

1 Like

Been RTFM, but need to put into practice before I can say ‘I get it’. Theres a lot to learn and remember about these functions, far more than I realized. Its not as easy as it sounds. And I consider myself 2b pretty bright.:wink:

Gush on! I haven’t had as much time with mine to get to trying to use an external midi controller aside from my XD’s keys.

Reading how intuitive it’s becoming for you is inspiring. I was just talking with my wife about it and I think with enough time you could actually manage to use it blind folded.

I ussually have a light on it at night but went ahead and just played it in the dark and it took me a minute but I started getting the button combo’s without looking and trying to remember the function side to the keys.

Sure, the screen helps you to know what your values for the parameters are but you can memorize what your tweaking and unless it’s knowing a micro timing or repeat value you could probably cover most p-lock like tweeking without having to look.

I’d have to say this is my favorite piece of kit and the more I get acqainted with it the more I can appreciate the mind’s of those at elektron that have really honed in the flexiblity of creative approach in a single device.

I’ve owned only 2 other sample based groove boxes, a volca sample and a roland MC-09. I’ve never enjoyed using a computer/DAW and a synth is my favorite instrument but the Digitakt is hand’s down that piece I could have only hoped to find as a sampler/groove box. It’s not a DAW but it is the badest brain you can manipulate with live controls.

It’s like Garth said, ‘At first like a new pair of underware, it feels constrictive. But after a while it becomes a part of you.’

And this is definitely the first time I can say I feel like I’m becoming more intuitively capable with an instrument that allows me to compose a whole track on so many amazing levels.

It’s like a scientific calculator meets a rubiks cube and a music based video game. And the more you learn how to make music the way you like to approach it on the Digitakt the more hooked you get on using it. It’s almost pure music creation Crack!

6 Likes

Excellent post :raised_hands: - I yet to add a MIDI keyboard to my DT set up, but your post has really got me thinking about the potential for workflow enhancement. :grinning: (Also, boy am I missing velocity sensitive pads!)

(The only changes I would make to the DT is some velocity sensitive pads, and time stretching, of course :wink:)

I’m ALL about finding the best, most intuitive workflow, and what you are describing sounds exactly right.

I don’t suppose you have any recommendations for MIDI keyboards that work well with the DT, nothing too huge - I want to keep my set up relatively compact and portable. What keyboard are you using?

Yep - I struggled with this initially, too.

An easy way to remember is:

P for Purple = Pattern
G for Green = Global

:sunglasses:

There is a tute online explaining it it’s still a little tricky. 5-10 mins experimenting with the two modes should sort you out! :+1:

1 Like