Is there a Sampler/Synth with a dedicated Keyboard

This thread peaked my interest. I’m borrowing a Kross 2 in a few days, see if it’s any good.

1 Like

I often weep for my ensonic mirage…that was a sampler with a keyboard…and it rocked.

2 Likes

All good guys. Yes anything that could import samples and have an internal synth engine for creating your own patches was what i meant. An added bonus would be a smaller form factor of fewer keys for portability.

I wouldn’t mind a straight-forward, no nonsense keyboard sampler in the Reface format. As compact boards go, Yamaha got it right where it counts.

3 Likes

Or something like the Roland boutique series with the K25 keyboard. That sort of size.

1 Like

Youtube/Google was mind reading again (creepy) and out of the blue put this video up for me. It’s a guy going through (in agonizing detail) how to use a Korg Kronos ($3000 or so) for sampling with it’s little touch screen. It’s a half hour long and i couldn’t bear watching the whole thing (maybe later).
BUT … this looks like excruciating work. Wonderful you can do this but i can’t see this being anywhere near what is needed for having any sort of workflow.

I’d wonder about the computer based tools for the Prophet X too.

There’s got to be an easier way. Seems to me this is what would make or break a sampling keyboard, the ease with which you can grab a sample and create usable options relatively quickly.

ADDED: By the way the Korg Kronos can sound amazing. Jordan Rudess playing the Kronos.

That’s a thought actually, how about a V-Synth?

I want to echo the idea of a previous poster. The MPC Live and a small midi keyboard would make a great combo. And seems to match the needs you mentioned the most. It is portable, has a great sequencer and a very capable sampler with quite a bit of synthesis options.

Many don’t realize that pretty all the sampler capabilities of all the S series akai samplers are in there. There’s more beyond the pads!

Tom Ellard of the band, Severed Heads, does write ups of synths and samplers that are in his collection. His writing style is informative and very funny. Here’s his article about the MPC Live. I think he covers some of the abilities of the MPC that get overlooked some times…

http://tomellard.com/cave/akai-mpc-live.html

3 Likes

Ok, so I got the Kross 2 now, will have it for at least a week. Anyone wants me to test something specific, let me know. I’m going for learning the sampler as soon as I’ve figured out the basics.

2 Likes

There’s a Korg Microsampler for sale right next to my workshop, been around for a WHILE, but these videos make it seem pretty cool?

Me too. Like the Korg Microsampler but with a nicer build quality.

I don’t use mine very often but the keygate sampling function is the reason i keep it. For up to 200 bucks i’d say it’s a steal. Above only if you really need it.

I had a Microsampler ended up selling it cuz I preferred chopping samples on my sp’s but it was super cool and pretty intuitive and pretty deep tooo tbh. A lot I didn’t get out of it just because I didn’t give it enough time.

Korg minilogue or prologue

2 Likes

So I returned the Kross 2. This wasn’t the keyboard I was looking for. Move along.

I wasn’t really looking, though. I was just curious. And now I’m not. So something good came out of this anyway.

Something in a smaller package is desireable though.

1 Like

Why you didnt like it ? I thought with that sequencer build in, scale mode, i think it sounds really capable.

I have just skimped through the manual, have not figured out if it can record /control external sound module CC. I was thinking it could be a nice friend for my p12 module.

It was too capable😊all them features made me confused.

The Waldorf Quantum has a sampler engine that also can do granular. There is also a sequencer onboard.

1 Like

I don’t blame him. The workflow on my Korg M3’s sampler is pretty convoluted and the Kross’ sounds about as bad.